Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Looking to replace all four 215/65/16 tires + alignment (uneven wear) on my recently purchased 2004 Sienna CE FWD. Planning to take advantage of Costco's $70 rebate for a set of Michelins (expires 11/7). Debating between the cheaper Symmetry (OE spec, 65K warranty, tread wear rating 600, load/speed rating 96T, $106/ea) and the "club value" X-Radial DT (80K, 740, 98T, $120/ea). The overall difference in price is about $60.

I would like a tire that wears well, provides a comfortable ride (family car), but doesn't compromise safety. The dry specs suggest that the X-Radials should last longer and provide better handling. They have higher load rating, too, which (I understand) implies a thicker/stiffer sidewall.

Used to have the X-Radial on our Mazda MPV for four years, they were great in general but ended up lasting only 60K miles before we got a sidewall failure on a rear tire on the freeway (to be honest, the treads were pretty worn out by then and we should have replaced them earlier). That said, this was an older X-Radial of different size and specs. I also read numerous rants about the Symmetry OE tires that come with new cars, but others say that an OE Symmetry and a retail Symmetry are not the same tire (the latter being purportedly superior).

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Symmetry on the Sienna? Can compare it to the X-Radial? Can justify the $60 difference? (yes, budget is an issue)

Many thanks!

G

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am on my third set of Michelin Harmony Tires (Michelin Dealer tire)
they are a cut above the Symmetry (walmart Michelins)

Have been very pleased with them, good mileage, quiet, I had two sets on my 2002 van and put a new set on the 2008 van when we bought it used.

however i do not know if they are in your rebate program

I did get $50 rebate once from Michelin on one of the sets of tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, maxwell. In fact, the Harmony looks very similar (in spec, as well as visual tread pattern) to both the X-Radial (a Costco/Sam's exclusive) and the Destiny (a Discount Tire exclusive). I'm curious if anyone can attest to how either of those compares with the Symmetry, in terms of longevity, comfort and noise level -- ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts