Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well considering they have a ready made work force that has been in the inudstry for decades it does make sense. When the japanese come into the south there isa lot of training that is involved and they may not nbeed as much training if they were to move into michigan. I wonder how they would work out the union stuff though. I guess most of the japanese plants are not unionized and I am sure they would want to move into a Toyota plant if they could. Iknow the unions have tried several times over the last 20 some odd years to get the Nissan plant here in Smyrna to unionize and have had no luck wahtsoever doing it. They have been voted dwon by very large margins in the past.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Im sure that a lot of the oldtime union diehards would oppose a Toyota plant because of the whole, "forn" thing.
However, Ive seen a chance in opinion in recent years where many people who would have never bought a Toyota, Honda or Nissan have no problem with buying one as long as its made in the USA.
I think it may come down a simple choice of working for Toyota or not working at all. :dunno:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it may come down a simple choice of working for Toyota or not working at all.
I think most of them would rather work than not. Even if it means not having aunion to back them up. Just from the people I know that work for Nissan they have no reason to want a union. They do not have problems with the way Nissan pays or benefits or time off. They have no reason to want a union which is why it has been voted down several times in the last several years.

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
I worked with GM for 8 years and got hard time for driving Toyotas. I just emailed this article to my friends there and told them to start trading their GMs for Toyotas to welcome Toyota...... Let's see what they say !!!! I am sure I will get creamed !!!! :D

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAV4EVR said:
I worked with GM for 8 years and got hard time for driving Toyotas. I just emailed this article to my friends there and told them to start trading their GMs for Toyotas to welcome Toyota...... Let's see what they say !!!! I am sure I will get creamed !!!! :D

Were you union. I had a lady come in to buy a car fom me one day and she said she had to buy a UAW built car. if she didnt she could not have the job she had jsut gotten. I used to give this guy that I knew a hard time because he drove a Ford F150 but worked for Saturn. he said he actually got a better deal on the Ford being UAW than he did on a GM or Chevy Truck.

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
No Union. I managed their network transactions. They seem to be pretty strict and had a lot of rules but never understood why the product was no good.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
RAV4EVR, your friends wont make fun of you once they drive a Toyota.
My neibor never understood why I loved my Toyotas so much untill he bought his wife an '05 Prius. Now they understand what I was talking about and next year they plan on trading their F-150 SuperCrew in on a Tundra D-Cab. :thumbsup:

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,675 Posts
Toyota won't be unionized and this will be a BIG problem in Detroit, it will be the UAW opposing to this, not the people because Toyota won't fall into unions. Toyota would be stupid to let a union into thier facilities.

I'm sorry to say that regardless of what the union has done for the better of the auto workers, it will be their fault when GM or Ford goes down. :disappoin

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
arent the plants in Canada union though I thought I had read somewhere tht they were. It is not really a matter of the manufacturers allowing the union. I think it is all left up to the employess as to whether or not it happens. If they want the union it is voted on. At least that is how it has happened at the Nissan plant here in Smyrna. That is one reason the import manufacturers like the south. They do not have the unions organized like they do in the north where most of the manufacturing has been going on for the last hundred years or os.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cyorke said:
arent the plants in Canada union though I thought I had read somewhere tht they were. It is not really a matter of the manufacturers allowing the union. I think it is all left up to the employess as to whether or not it happens. If they want the union it is voted on. At least that is how it has happened at the Nissan plant here in Smyrna. That is one reason the import manufacturers like the south. They do not have the unions organized like they do in the north where most of the manufacturing has been going on for the last hundred years or os.
The CAW has tried unsuccesfully to organize at the Cambridge plant several times. Why would Toyota workers vote in a union that regularly bashes their products?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.