Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Avalon Hyb. XSE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I got my Avalon Hybrid last year, and after some time I noticed scratch patterns on the outside mirrors, especially the driver side one. They are micro scratches and invisible most of the time, but when the sun hits them right they show up in all their glory:

It was very distracting at times (the whole center of the mirror lighting up like a christmas tree) and when I mentioned it at my dealership (the second time) they replaced the mirror. So far, so good - that was last week. Now this is how the new mirror looks in the right light, I noticed it yesterday:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this... is there someone in the mirror factory scratching them before they go out? Is my dealership cleaning them with something that shouldn't be used?
Has anyone else noticed something like that? Am I going crazy?

So many questions...

Oliver

·
7,495 Posts
Look like tiny hairs? shiny in certain light? I see them on pretty much all mirrors.
Btw, your blind spot mirror is in the wrong corner. Should be in the outside one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have them, and I looked carefully. Out of curiosity, did you verify that the replacement mirror didn't have the scratches from the beginning, or did you notice them only after a week of having them? I ask because it seems too much of a coincidence that the scratches appear right in the middle of the mirror as before, and almost the same width too. Is it possible how it is parked, and how you or others walk past it, that some clothing or equipment brushes against it?

·
Registered
'19 Avalon Hyb. XSE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it replaced on Thursday and noticed it first on Saturday. If the sun is not behind the car they are invisible, and I did not think to check closely after it was replaced because I didn't think there was a chance for whatever caused that to happen again.
The old scratches were on the car unchanged for 7 or 8 months, so I don't think it's something that just accidentally happens when the car is parked. If it was, there should have been more on the old one, I would guess.
I completely agree that this is odd, and I feel stupid going back to the dealership about it... But it is quite annoying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the same issue. Dealer could not identify the source of the issue but simply replaced the glass on both sides. Didnt do that great of a job either as the first time I folded the mirrors in, the force of them locking into position knocked the new glass loose. Had the dealer recheck and all seemed good so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't see that on either of my mirrors. Can you feel the scratches? I'm not sure if these mirrors are glass or a film. They feel like a film and I wouldn't think that would happen twice with glass that quickly. Maybe marks or residue left from the packaging or a tool used to hold it while it was installed. I think all Avalons have heated mirrors. Wonder if it's something with the heating element. The heater should come on when you turn on the rear defrost. Were you using it a lot when they first appeared? I've used mine maybe 5 times total. Was it an on the spot job at the dealership, or did you tell them about it, they ordered the mirrors and you came back later? My first thought would be they didn't replace them and just removed your blind spot mirror and polished it up, but they don't look like the same scratches in the two photos. They're different angles, kinda hard to make out scratches and reflections. Either way, if I noticed it, I'd be taking it back. Don't feel stupid. The car is less than a year old and for all you know if may spread and get worse. Good rule of thumb to check anything done by the dealership or anyone else right away while you're still there. I've grown very distrustful. On my last Camry the tech broke the air filter housing and didn't tell me. I took my Avalon in at 10k miles, and they gave it back with a low tire and the light on, no idea how that happens. Both times I was in for maintenance under free Toyota Care. Now I check everything as soon as they pull it out, oil, air filters, tires, walk around the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good rule of thumb to check anything done by the dealership or anyone else right away while you're still there. I've grown very distrustful. On my last Camry the tech broke the air filter housing and didn't tell me. I took my Avalon in at 10k miles, and they gave it back with a low tire and the light on, no idea how that happens. Both times I was in for maintenance under free Toyota Care. Now I check everything as soon as they pull it out, oil, air filters, tires, walk around the car.
This is a good principle, because in general and especially dealers, the routine maintenance work is given to the lowest paid and least experienced person on the floor. On top of that, warranty and free maintenance work has a fixed time cap that they can charge Toyota (versus out-of-warranty work where they charge per hour), so if they want to get ahead or are falling behind, they have incentive to rush through their work, knowing that most people wont check "under the hood". I've had countless experience at varying Toyota dealers of sloppy engine oil changes, tire rotations that were never rotated, coolant change that were never changed, etc. You have to stay on top of it, even going so far as marking certain parts to ensure they were changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem and had my passenger mirror replaced. There is a sticker on the mirrors when shipped from the factory and the scratched came from trying to remove the adhesive. I'm pretty sure they tried scraping it off with a razor blade and that's what scratched it

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
467 Posts
Hi there,

I got my Avalon Hybrid last year, and after some time I noticed scratch patterns on the outside mirrors, especially the driver side one. They are micro scratches and invisible most of the time, but when the sun hits them right they show up in all their glory:
View attachment 293499
It was very distracting at times (the whole center of the mirror lighting up like a christmas tree) and when I mentioned it at my dealership (the second time) they replaced the mirror. So far, so good - that was last week. Now this is how the new mirror looks in the right light, I noticed it yesterday:
View attachment 293500

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this... is there someone in the mirror factory scratching them before they go out? Is my dealership cleaning them with something that shouldn't be used?
Has anyone else noticed something like that? Am I going crazy?

So many questions...

Oliver
I had the same problem and had my passenger mirror replaced. There is a sticker on the mirrors when shipped from the factory and the scratched came from trying to remove the adhesive. I'm pretty sure they tried scraping it off with a razor blade and that's what scratched it

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
467 Posts
I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. Right after I bought my car new the sun was bright and I could see scratches on my outside passenger mirror. The scratches were not on the outside of the mirror. My dealer replaced the mirror.

·
Registered
'19 Avalon Hyb. XSE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see that on either of my mirrors. Can you feel the scratches? I'm not sure if these mirrors are glass or a film. They feel like a film and I wouldn't think that would happen twice with glass that quickly. Maybe marks or residue left from the packaging or a tool used to hold it while it was installed. I think all Avalons have heated mirrors. Wonder if it's something with the heating element. The heater should come on when you turn on the rear defrost. Were you using it a lot when they first appeared? I've used mine maybe 5 times total. Was it an on the spot job at the dealership, or did you tell them about it, they ordered the mirrors and you came back later?
I can feel/hear the scratches in some parts if I run the back of my fingernail over the glass, but not all of their length. I wouldn't even know how to create scratches like that if I was asked to do it.
The new mirror was ordered and installed some days later, and the scratches are actually worse than on the old one. So it is definitely a new one, just with the same kind of flaw.

The explanation in one of the other replies that they are taking a protective sticker off with improper tools seems to fit the bill here, I'm just wondering why they would keep doing that after people (well, me at least) complain about the scratches.

·
Registered
'19 Avalon Hyb. XSE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That actually makes me feel like I'm not crazy, thanks :) This is a pretty good explanation, I'll see what the dealer says... Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts