Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles did you have on your Tacoma when you changed the oil the first time? I have 1,300k on mine now and it looks a bit dirty. I'd like to dump it now, but I've heard that the original oil has no detergents and should be run for a while in order to help everything break in and the rings seat.

The manual says first oil change at 5k, but there's no way I'm going to go that long before changing.

Thanks,

Count

·
Registered
223 Posts
1K to get the "break-in" oil out of there, then at 5k

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
217 Posts
150 miles to clean out the break-in, then 1000 miles as a back-up. Now every 5000 miles.

I have done this with every new engine I ever had and have gotten over 200,000 miles many times over.

Many new engines could have been pieced together with a engine fabrication grease with a high molly content that will blacken the new oil quite fast. That is primarily for the initial start up to save oil free main bearings and the like.

Even if a short oil change does nothing to improve the lifespan of an engine, it will not hurt it either and it sure does make me feel good to know I am getting out any products of manufacturing that could have gotten in. I realize the filter should take care of that but on inspection of a number of new engine filters, I have seen a lot of silver particles in some of them.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
1500 on the factory oil. Then went with mobile1 5w30 and im changing that at 5000 miles

ohh and an OEM filter

·
Registered
Base model 05' Taco
308 Posts
3000 and 3000 after that. Toyota recomends 5000, but its not going to hurt any having fresh oil all the time

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
changed it the first time at 2609 miles. now i'll do 3000 mile intervals.

-Mike

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
511 Posts
I'll change it at 1000 miles or 4 months, whichever comes first. Then every 4-5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
First change at 5K

Switched to synthetic at 8K and will do 5K change intervals.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
rpmspeedyBlue said:
Hey silverStreak have you noticed any increase in mpg?
It's probably about the same, if it's gone up it hasn't been anything signifigant. To be honest, I don't really pay too close attention to my mileage, I just drive the mofo. :smokin:

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
SilverStreak05 said:
It's probably about the same, if it's gone up it hasn't been anything signifigant. To be honest, I don't really pay too close attention to my mileage, I just drive the mofo. :smokin:
Yeah that's what most people say when they switched to synthic oil. I hear ya:thumbup:

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
Changing the diff oil over to synthetic would have a bigger impact on mpg than the engine oil I would think. I'll be switching all mine over next time we get a clear weather weekend. Doing it mainly for the decreased wear and tear on the gears, but a mpg increase would be a nice bonus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts