Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with a 2000 XLE V6 model provide your average mileage
figure in the winter time (cold weather)? I am doing mostly short trip
city driving and it looks pretty bad, even though I have done all the
required tune-up myself.

Thanks.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Short trip winter driving in cold weather is the worse mileage scenario
with everything very cold and stopping and starting.
What did you tuneup? Air filter and Spark Plugs are pretty much
a tuneup. What oil do you use? A 5w-30 would probably help.
Maybe a sythetic or sythetic blend. How about the tires, have you
checked them since it got cold, they could be several pounds low.
Got a lot of junk in the trunk? remove it. Good time to check the spare
tire pressure too. How is performance? Maybe dirty injectors. The V6s
want premium fuel for best performance and mileage.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"aiuser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can someone with a 2000 XLE V6 model provide your average mileage
> figure in the winter time (cold weather)? I am doing mostly short trip
> city driving and it looks pretty bad, even though I have done all the
> required tune-up myself.
>
> Thanks.


How many miles per gallon do you get? If you're in Canada, it will be Kms
per litre?

About 7 kms per litre would be expected in those conditions.

Jason
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 4 which can go in summer from 27-28mpg to 20-21 in 10f city
driving, its tuned with 5-30 mobil1, probably the winter Oxygenated gas
is what hurts most. So poor milage is common.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob wrote:
> Short trip winter driving in cold weather is the worse mileage scenario
> with everything very cold and stopping and starting.
> What did you tuneup? Air filter and Spark Plugs are pretty much
> a tuneup. What oil do you use? A 5w-30 would probably help.
> Maybe a sythetic or sythetic blend. How about the tires, have you
> checked them since it got cold, they could be several pounds low.
> Got a lot of junk in the trunk? remove it. Good time to check the spare
> tire pressure too. How is performance? Maybe dirty injectors. The V6s
> want premium fuel for best performance and mileage.


I have changed motor oil (5w30 Castrol GTX), transmission oil, spark
plugs, air filter, pcv valve, all recently and at the proper interval.
The tire pressure is adjusted 2 weeks ago. Pretty much empty in the
trunk. But have not clean the injectors. I am getting 7 km/litre.
Any suggestions what to use and how to clean the injectors.

Thanks.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Injectors dont often go bad if they do you will notice rough running,
there are pour in cleaners you buy at an auto store. They inject gas and
would only lean the motor if dirty, actualy giving a bit better mpg but
causing a lean hot run and yes loss of power, i dought its injectors. My
winter mix gas is poor for EPA reasons, everyone get worse mpg here in
winter. Did you check timing ive had mine off where it affected milage
by 4 mpg or ap 7 kpg. have you had it on a lift, Ive had dragging
brakes. have you had it on a scope, checked emmissions or O2 sensor. Is
thermostat good.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
winter driving for a 4 mostly city should be 22- 24. for the 6 ------18
to 21
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of timing were you talking about? I thought it is electronic
controlled, so no mechanical timing needs to be adjusted. All brake
pads were replaced and rotors cleaned 2 months ago, so shouldn't have
any drag. Engine warm up relatively fast, so I guess thermostat is
working. How do you check emission and O2 sensor?
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine timing adjusted at the distributor, All motors need the
mechanical set point. Belts stretch, mine was off 3-4 degrees I got apx
4 mpg less. Electronics only follow what they have, they dont adjust to
optimal if mechanical is off.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention one of my rear brakes drag, the auto setter over
tightens. Alot of little things affect mpg
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"aiuser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What kind of timing were you talking about? I thought it is electronic
> controlled, so no mechanical timing needs to be adjusted.


Partly true,...the ignition timing is adjusted by bridging a test-socket
pins (for details get a Haynes manual,..you'll need it to do things
properly). While in this test mode, the timing is adjusted by turning the
distributor to achieve a timing point against the crank-pulley and idicator.
Once this is set, the electronics change the timing to suit.

In some cars, they have a crank-angle sensor which means the car's ECU will
time the ignition itself. This is not the case with the Camry,..you need to
set it first by hand.




All brake
> pads were replaced and rotors cleaned 2 months ago, so shouldn't have
> any drag. Engine warm up relatively fast, so I guess thermostat is
> working. How do you check emission and O2 sensor?


7kms per litre for a V6 in traffic is not bad.

Jason
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everybody's reply. I guess 7kms/liter looks to be normal in
my conditions.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top