Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Avalon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering of many miles people avg per tank. I just bought my 2014 XLE and when I top the tank off it says 312/313 till empty but when I do the math for my MPG it should be around 425.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
121 Posts
There have been a few threads where people have written about the "distance to empty" not being accurate. It is an estimate based upon the average fuel consumption and fuel remaining. It resets when you refuel (only if the car is off) and you haven't just added a "small amount of fuel" according to the '13 manual.

Toyota is conservative in their distance to empty estimates. I think they'd rather greatly underestimate the distance than risk an owner running out of fuel when the display still shows range remaining. The highest I've ever noticed mine was something like 340, but I know I've driven greater than 450 on a fill-up.

·
PJSMITH
1,518 Posts
With my 14 TAH LTD, the car records the mpg as you use fuel as an average. Only when you "RESET" the avg mpg, will the calculator change. It also has a sensor that detects the remaining fuel. Not tracking how much is used. The sensor will have a variable to "empty". The warning light goes on with "X" left in the tank. This varies from car to car. Anywhere from 1-2 gallons as we have discussed over the last 4-5 years. The calculation probably has hidden factors to calculate remaining miles. My car on average gets 33 mpg. I can get the mpg readout to show 45, by resetting while driving and coasting downhill (or using low speed to get the mpg to average 45+..
When I don't do anything tricky, I refill and it reads out usually at 500-510 per tank.
I have figured it out that the latest history of mpg's times the 16 gallon tank, (yes it holds more than 16) gets the miles remaining per tank.
WOW
If you fill your tank on the highway or especially at the top of a grade and can drive 2 miles with above average mpg, the miles remaining actually increases as you drive.
Example of true driving:
I was driving at high travel speed for an hour and I filled up on a long trip and drove at 65 after filling up for 5 miles. The miles remaining when I refilled. calculated at 505 and avg mpg was 36. After the fill up, As I drove conservatively at 65 with light acceleration, the mpg calculated average at 43. The miles remaining wet from 505 to 518 after driving 5 miles.
IMHO
Drive this car and enjoy what it is and what it does.
The automatic things usually work well.
As I have done, you can drive differently and change pressure in tires and use different gas and very little will matter.

Drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, and yes I absolutely love driving the car. Even if I got 20MPG I'd still love it

·
PJSMITH
1,518 Posts
when you get 20mpg, you need to fix something.
V6 is lower than hybrid, but it's a good number for a big car

·
Registered
2014 Avalon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dash say 30MPG now. I think the computer just needs to learn my style of driving. Plus I'm sure when it was at the Dealership everyone drove it like they stole it

·
7,378 Posts
OP, which model do you have, actually? I see Corolla in your sig, post is in Avalon section, someone posted hybrid mpg, it becomes a mess.

What is that YOU have? Surely, Rolla should be doing around 40...then why post is in Avalon?

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
125 Posts
My 14 V 6 has been 19 to 20 mpg average around town. And highway use its average is 29 mpg. Under perfect highway speed travel say 2 hours or more non stop, it can get close to 34 mpg. The DTE is only a average per tank reset and is mostly used to avoid a run out of fuel.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, my only reason for the post was that 312 sounded low for a 17 gallon tank. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota's distance to empty estimates is way too conservative
on a recent trip, fuel light is on when drove near 600 miles
refuel @ 611 miles, only 14.2 gallons to full tanks, almost 3 gallon left in the tank when the fuel light is on

·
PJSMITH
1,518 Posts
similar results on long trips. Theory is that manufacturers (Ford Chevy, Nissan, etc.), probably all and those listed have similar warning light levels. Safety to try to prevent less attentive owners to not run out of gas, because they use the light to tell then to get gas.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine has been slowly going up now since I've had it for a week 3 refills and now when I fill up it says 380. Alot better then the 310 when I 1st got the car. Yes Toyota is extra cautious with DTE. I was a good distance under 1/4 a tank and filled up with 12.6 gallons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts