Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Corolla
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any have this on there car?

i had found it upon looking around for headers, i already bought a cheapy header, but i may, around summertime, get this, and redo my exhaust up with this header utilized instead of the one i got

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
any have this on there car?

i had found it upon looking around for headers, i already bought a cheapy header, but i may, around summertime, get this, and redo my exhaust up with this header utilized instead of the one i got
It doesn't fit very well. A member on vvti.net bought it and had to shell out extra to make it fit and it still rattles against the rack and pinion heat shield. If you want a nice header, get this one: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228149
That's a real 1ZZFE header.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
But it's the only true bolt on. With the others, you'll end up having to pay for modifications to make it fit. Getting a flex pipe installed is not cheap. You'll end up spending almost just as much in total to make it fit. You might as well go for the best and not worry about fitment or breaking.

·
Registered
99 Corolla
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive got one coming, so ill use that one and see how it goes, its similarly sized to the factory one, so we shall see...

but ya, its hard to justify 500 bucks for a header for my corolla, sure i love her, and i certainly can afford that, but again, there is gotta be a stop point for me

we will see, she may get a PPE if nothing else works out properly

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
A header won't gain you much power anyways. The most cost effective solution would be to reuse you old header again. Just port and polish it and you'll be set.

·
Feel the vibe.
01 Corolla S
702 Posts
when i port and polished my stock exhaust manifold, i dont think i even felt any difference except hearing some air noise passing through the manifold. heh.

when i installed my obx header and even WITH the flex pipe, it was no where near the price of that PPE header. a flex pipe is CHEAP. i dont know why you think it is so expensive.

Flex pipe I used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-25-x-6-Exhaust-Flex-Pipe-Tube-100-Stainless-Steel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42610QQihZ003QQitemZ130196870976QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

OBX header that i bought brand new from someone on corolla customz but never installed was $80 Shipped.

So far thats about $100 total. Install with reinforcing the welds, welding in the flex pipe as well was $100 max. That's about $200. how much is the PPE header? how much to get that welded in?

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
I bought my Forza header new from that ebay seller for 200 bucks and another 100 for installing a flex pipe and repiping. So for me, it was around 300, not including tax and other fees.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
Not quite. Depending on how many people buy it, it could be 500 or less. But then again, it's going on a Corolla, so it's not worth it. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mimo USA Header

I bought that header for my 1999 Corolla, and it does fit nicely. But, the oem top header heat shield does not fit on the Mimo header. Also, there will be a lot of rattling at the low rpm levels, and since there is no flex pipe on this header, the lower part of the pipe will crack. You will need to cut and weld a custom flex pipe in order to prevent the cracking. It is a 4 to 1 header so the acceleration on the high rpm level will improve, but there is not much difference at the low rpm level. It is totally up to you if you want to buy it.

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
OBX header with the flex pipe
That's what I was looking at, seems like a decent option for the cost. Here's the real question; what do people do about a cat-back exhaust option for our cars? As far as I know, TRD only made the sport muffler, and that was discontinued a while back. I don't want a grapefruit shooter, just something that flows well, mandrel bends and is stainless steel. I'd prefer not loud either. I've been searching online for some time getting nowhere.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
That's what I was looking at, seems like a decent option for the cost. Here's the real question; what do people do about a cat-back exhaust option for our cars? As far as I know, TRD only made the sport muffler, and that was discontinued a while back. I don't want a grapefruit shooter, just something that flows well, mandrel bends and is stainless steel. I'd prefer not loud either. I've been searching online for some time getting nowhere.
I found a shop that would custom mandrel bend and weld piping to a Magnaflow muffler(oval, not a rice can).

·
Registered
99 Corolla
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with the routing of exhaust the way it is, an exhaust shop only really needs a few measly bends to make, so go that route

exhaust is one of the few cheap custom work you can get out there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts