Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cruiser
1987 Rolla
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running an OLD and i mean old mini disc head unit and I was wondering if anyone else was running a mini disc setup. I am saving atm for a better one but I dont really have any idea on brands and that for mini disc units. Anyone with some advice, be happy to throw them around

thanks
:)

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
Wow...really old school. Is it a Sony or Aiwa? I remembered Sony had a 4 mini-disc changer before. ;) Unfortunately, MD never caught on here in North America. First generation MD units weren't good since the compression algorithm, ATRAC, had been known to cut off the top end of the audible frequency spectrum, sounding just like FM radio. The size was definitely a big plus, but with portable MP3 players now, MD is as good as dead. It's also just cheaper to record MP3s to CDs and use a headunit that plays MP3s.

·
Cruiser
1987 Rolla
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeh i get that alot...mp3 is cool but i just love MDs i have a portable myself and i just think that are unreal. I might have to go MP3 after all

thanks for your reply :)

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
MD got much better quaility then MP3. All downloaded MP3 cut off all high freq.

I got a Sony MD deck. Current deck have LP2 and LP4 for 2x and 4x recording. LP2 is ok, little bit lose hard to tell. LP4 is easy to heard the different.
Sony just come up with HiMD format. Don't think they have deck yet.
If you want to use LP2, LP4 or HiMD, get a new deck. You'll need a recorder to record the MDs. I'll say keep the deck and add a CD-MP3 changer.

·
Cruiser
1987 Rolla
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what model deck is that? i'm annoyed at my deck sinces its only SP only :mad: so thats why i am asking around so i can start using MD to its full potentional :)

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
i love my minidisc player (portable) and would definately like to add the clarion minidisc changer (anyone who has it I'll take it) so I understand the choice, plus now you can easily put mp3 on minidisc with the new gen players.

·
Cruiser
1987 Rolla
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh i was trying to get a sony MD changer but they dont make them anymore so I am trying to find one 2nd hand but its damn hard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts