Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to figure out the minimum octane gas you can use in all the different 4age/4agze models

i realized im looking at engines i might not be able to afford gas into..... so i decided to figure out which engines i can afford gas for

i found a couple of them out after searching for about an hour... forgot to save the page and cant find it again...:sosad:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
bigport: any octane
smallport: 91
4agze (mr2, fuel selection set to to 'low'): probably 89
4agze (any other, or mr2 fuel selection to 'premium'): 91 or higher

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
The smallport uses premium and its a thirsty motor, so I can just imagine how the GZEs are. :ugh3: I use midgrade and premium on mine, specially when gas was hitting the high prices when the whole katrina thing went down, I would alternate fillups and had no problems. The bigport on the 89 uses regular so no problems there considering its just as thirsty as the smallport, specially with the way I drive. :D

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
oh god, my 4agze gets around 14mpg if i'm lucky (because of the way i drive).... unless i'm on the freeway and i have the s/c off.... then i get over 30mpg believe it or not

the ae92 gets about 28 mpg and needs a new o2 (smallport)

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I think mine needs a new O2 sensor too as it passed the emissions test but not with flying colors, one of the readings was high but not enough to fail. actually.. I'm starting to think both do. :(

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
if you worry about gas prices, don't buy the 20V. the only time my engine feels fine is when i have 94 octane in it. even with shell 91 it feels sluggish.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
25 Posts
this is pretty interesting. i usually try to run 93 octane in my 97 corolla when i can afford it. never noticed any difference when using the cheap stuff. i figured and i don't know why i figured, but i thought as long as a keep the oil changed i'd be ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts