Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla auto, and just today the engine light started flashing and stayed lit, I used my torque app to scan the car and got a p0351, p0352, p0353 and p0354 the car stalled on me twice while driving, it wouldn't accelerate even with my foot to the floor, after it stalled I let it coast and restarted it again put it in drive and made it home, i thought the transmission was going out because it didn't want to engage reverse and in drive it felt a little funny, the fluid was nice and pink, no burnt smells, but the CEL would flash every now and then on the way home. As i was inspecting the coils I accidentally nudged the fuel line going into the engine and the car completely died out, i already have new coils on the way since I suspected they were old but for the life of me i don't know what's going on... I will attach a screenshot of what came up, also while it was acting up there was this annoying buzzing/rattling noise near the driver side steering column/dash where the left air vent is, if anyone know about this please, please chime in! Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
A rapidly flashing check engine light means you have a very bad misfire that could potentially damage your catalytic converter. This was the car telling you to stop driving immediately. Yet you kept driving and kept trying to floor it. The rattling you are hearing is probably just the heat shield on the exhaust but depending on how bad the misfires were you could've damaged the catalyst and the insides could be rattling around....
In the future Don't continue driving if the check engine light is flashing. Flashing is never to be ignored.

For now I'd give replacing the spark plugs and coils a shot, and see if the exhaust manifold heat shield is rattling. Given where you claim to have heard it that seems most likely and is a common issue on just about any older car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A rapidly flashing check engine light means you have a very bad misfire that could potentially damage your catalytic converter. This was the car telling you to stop driving immediately. Yet you kept driving and kept trying to floor it. The rattling you are hearing is probably just the heat shield on the exhaust but depending on how bad the misfires were you could've damaged the catalyst and the insides could be rattling around....
In the future Don't continue driving if the check engine light is flashing. Flashing is never to be ignored.

For now I'd give replacing the spark plugs and coils a shot, and see if the exhaust manifold heat shield is rattling. Given where you claim to have heard it that seems most likely and is a common issue on just about any older car.
Thanks, i know i shouldn't have continued to drive it but i was in a bad place, alot of traffic and people honking, thank god i made it home! The funny part is, even when the light was flashing throughout the entire time the car was smooth no shaking or stumbling, only when i got close to home it stalled, also i was going to ask what were your thoughts about the trans not going into reverse? I was thinking maybe the car didn't have enough power to engage it?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks, i know i shouldn't have continued to drive it but i was in a bad place, alot of traffic and people honking, thank god i made it home! The funny part is, even when the light was flashing throughout the entire time the car was smooth no shaking or stumbling, only when i got close to home it stalled, also i was going to ask what were your thoughts about the trans not going into reverse? I was thinking maybe the car didn't have enough power to engage it?
Could be low on fluid.
A defective battery could potentially explain all these symptoms....

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,520 Posts
Op, verify the connectors are actually plugged in and seated. Sometimes, the contact isn't made to the end of the plug.

If these are seated well, another test you can do it to take the plug out of a cylinder and put it in the coil. Then crank it over to see if there's a spark from the electrode.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,878 Posts
P0010- VVT being faulty could cause multiple misfires.
With engine off disconnect the VVT solenoid and then run the car for a bit.
See what effects has on misfires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Op, verify the connectors are actually plugged in and seated. Sometimes, the contact isn't made to the end of the plug.

If these are seated well, another test you can do it to take the plug out of a cylinder and put it in the coil. Then crank it over to see if there's a spark from the electrode.
Awesome man, i will definitely give it a try! 👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P0010- VVT being faulty could cause multiple misfires.
With engine off disconnect the VVT solenoid and then run the car for a bit.
See what effects has on misfires.
I didn't think of that, i got new coils and plugs so if those will not work ill give this a go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery is fairly new, (ill get it tested anyways) and trans it right at the full mark, car was running at operating temp too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts