Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1991 mr2 n/a 173k and counting....

Hey, here is the scope... i got off work and started my car, warm it up and took off. Drives like normal. After coming out of a turn and gasing, i felt something strage an abnormal:
So i was in second gear and gasing up. hit ~2500 rpm and all of a sudden it sorta boost itself, it jerked, it stutters and the whole time my foot was on the gas padel, but i didnt foward it. same thing happens with all the gear. after a while pulled over and pop engine hood and white smoke from the back of engine came gushing out. :confused: turned off car and cooled down for a bit.

Getting late and want to go home so i started the car again. car starts with out a problem. drive home slowly not passing 2800 rpm and obaying speed limit. when i came to a complete stop, car feels like it was about to shut off, engine shaking up and down.

Got home, parked car, engine still running. Called brother to come out and take a look. Loud unusal boomlike noise coming from exhaust every 1-2 seconds. Brother said miss firing?

Next day took the bus to work and left keys for brother to work on car. Changed spark plugs and seems to fix the problem. car runs smooth but seems to be lacking power. :thumbdown: Could it be the cheap spark plugs he replaced? would the platnium make a big differene? When he took out the spark plugs, he said that the 2nd one was all burnt, and leaking a whole lotta oil. :disappoin: Carpooling with sister. anyone know what went wrong and would new platnium spark plugs help bring back some power? He aslo said it might be the fuel cut? any takers on this?

thanks in advance and sorry for the long lenght

·
^
4,197 Posts
Do a compression check. What colour were the plugs? Condition?

Platinum plugs on a high k 5SFE aren't worth it. Regular copper plugs are better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops typo bro said fuild injecters not fuild cut. my bad. umm he took the spark plugs out and the 2nd one he said was all brown and burnt willed with oil and the other was fine.

·
^
4,197 Posts
Early 5SFE's seem to have issues with valve seals. They go and let oil into the cylinder, causing fouled plugs. I recommended doing a compression test to see if its the seals or rings. Once you ran though and did a test on all 4, add 1 tablespoon of oil to each cylinder and then do the compression test again. If the numbers go up, then its rings, if not, its seals or a headgasket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The valve seals usually go on high time engines but the symptoms for that are blue smoke from the exhaust at startup. The smoke eeventually stops as the seals/engine warm up. I just replaced mine and the problem went away (car has 156K Miles, not kM).

If you had white smoke under the hood, it could beeither an exhaust manifold leak or leaking coolant onto something hot. I'd be surprised if it was just a sparkplug problem from what you described.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just drove the car today and it appears to run smooth but lack power, sucks i feel like getting another car :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
not familiar with mr2 engines, does it have a cap and rotor? if it does check the rotor any slight damage to the cap will do that to the engine...

·
Registered
87 MR2 SC V6
52 Posts
I am thinking that the problem is a head gasket because oil burn off would be blue smoke and white is usually antifreeze. It is probibly the head gasket has cracked on the inside and antifreeze is burning in the cylinder head and causing white smoke. I could be wrong but it is another thing to check...hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts