Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been in the Cleveland area since 5/8 for business. Drove from home in WI, some 450ish miles away in a rented 2022 Nissan Sentra. What utter crap this thing is. Something in the rear suspension rattles, the transmission slips, and the stereo is total garbage. Now I get people beat the living snot out of rentals, and I am no different. But it seems to me at 6000mi it DEFINATELY shouldn't be slipping and rattling yet. When the tranny isn't slipping, it takes no less than 87 miles to downshift for a pass. The stereo distorts at normal volume levels, even with the bass turned down. Such a dog too. My '09 Cammy with the 2.4 is way quicker, and that ain't saying much. I've turned the lane deviation warning off, as it kept seeing phantom lines that didn't exist and would buzz the steering wheel. The body rolls like a '78 Cadillac. The AC is colder in my '04 Jeep. Straight trash. I'd be dumping this POS if I owned it. Maybe I can beat this garbage out of existence on my drive home next week. Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter...

I miss Cammy.

• Wow
Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
233 Posts
So I've been in the Cleveland area since 5/8 for business. Drove from home in WI, some 450ish miles away in a rented 2022 Nissan Sentra. What utter crap this thing is. Something in the rear suspension rattles, the transmission slips, and the stereo is total garbage. Now I get people beat the living snot out of rentals, and I am no different. But it seems to me at 6000mi it DEFINATELY shouldn't be slipping and rattling yet. When the tranny isn't slipping, it takes no less than 87 miles to downshift for a pass. The stereo distorts at normal volume levels, even with the bass turned down. Such a dog too. My '09 Cammy with the 2.4 is way quicker, and that ain't saying much. I've turned the lane deviation warning off, as it kept seeing phantom lines that didn't exist and would buzz the steering wheel. The body rolls like a '78 Cadillac. The AC is colder in my '04 Jeep. Straight trash. I'd be dumping this POS if I owned it. Maybe I can beat this garbage out of existence on my drive home next week. Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter...

I miss Cammy.
Remember a Sentra has a CVT transmission. It will feel like it's slipping

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember a Sentra has a CVT transmission. It will feel like it's slipping
I am aware. But I am pretty sure even a CVT shouldn't rev to 4000 RPM before leaving the line, or hit the rev limiter on an on ramp without actually accelerating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am aware. But I am pretty sure even a CVT shouldn't rev to 4000 RPM before leaving the line, or hit the rev limiter on an on ramp without actually accelerating.
That car sounds like utter trash, my buddy has a beater Chevy Cruz and it still seems a lot better. Nissan's business model comprises of volume sales to individuals who need a car but don't have the credit rating to support the purchase of competitors. RIP Nissan (except for the 400Z, paint me intrigued).

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
lake Michigan is nice this time of year
just saying...

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,673 Posts
I've never been a fan of Nissans... which I'll say right off the bat- especially the newer ones with the CVTs. The only Nissans that I actually like are the old-school Maximas from the 90s and their Infiniti twin- the I30.

But it might be a tad unfair to compare a midsize Camry- even a 09- to a compact rental that's most likely a low trim level. Vehicles at that price point are built to a price and often include cheap materials and lack the polish and attention to detail that's more likely to be included in the midsize offerings.

As for the CVT... yep- Nissan CVTs stink. They aren't great when new, and they often can have major issues as the mileage starts adding up. Some people are lucky enough to get ones that last... but there's tons of examples of them failing far sooner than they should.

I get it though- it stinks to be in a rental that's made by a company that doesn't seem to put as much emphasis on quality control and materials as Toyota. When my wife's Passport had to go to the body shop for a week to repair the front end after a deer hit a month ago, we were given a 2020 Ford Fusion as a rental car- and it was pretty bad. It was strangely a loaded model- a Titanium AWD with pretty much all the options... but that didn't stop the car from feeling pretty cheap... and it didn't cover up the fact that the car drove like crap. I can't imagine anyone paying the $35k sticker price for a car that had an interior filled with cheap plastic and an engine that didn't seem up to the job in terms of power or refinement. My wife and I were very happy to get her Passport back... and I'm not even that big of a fan of her Passport... but it is leagues better in terms of quality and refinement compared to the Fusion that we rented.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lake Michigan is nice this time of year
just saying...
Indeed. Grew up outside of Milwaukee, I know lake Michigan west shores well and fondly in all seasons. While I am here in Cleveland, I plan to hit up Whiskey Island - an abandoned Coast Guard lookout station and light house on Lake Erie....

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But it might be a tad unfair to compare a midsize Camry- even a 09- to a compact rental that's most likely a low trim level
I wasn't making a comparison at all. Just commenting that I hate this garbage and miss Ms. Cammy, 13yrs old, 137k, and all!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sentra is a French car, they share the small car platform since they merged 20 something years ago. A former Nissan executive told me how bad the French small car is, for the body alone Nissan engineers have to do a lot job to fix/improve it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jeff's comment about the Renault origin being a source Sentra problems drew my interest. From what I found, the N. America is built on a corporate wide platform used by Nissan and Renault, the N.A. Sentra are built I Mexico and have been for many years.i have rented French cars a number of times in Europe for long driving vacations, Peugeots, Renaults, a Citroen. The Renault Megane Sport we had for over a week on one trip, drove over 600 miles, was a nice car. The Clio is a well regarded B class car in Europe. Makes me wonder if the problems with the Sentra are more regional here in N.A...poor CVT, other quality issues. I have only driven manual trans cars in Europe. I particularly like the Peugeot 208 amd 308.

I rented Hyundai Elantras a couple of times last year. Did not like that car...uncomfortable seat, rough ride, very loud on the highway. Did achieve good MPG.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rented Hyundai Elantras a couple of times last year. Did not like that car...uncomfortable seat
There is one plus to this heap. The seat is super comfy. Really supportive with bolsters that hug. I guess I like the feel and shape of the steering wheel too, with the flat bottom. But would give both of those features up for a car that goes when I stomp the skinny pedal, and doesn't roll over in the twistys....

Actually we are driving Cammy to Myrtle Beach literally the day after I get home. It will be the first real extended trip for her in my possession. Really looking forward to it....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jeff's comment about the Renault origin being a source Sentra problems drew my interest. From what I found, the N. America is built on a corporate wide platform used by Nissan and Renault, the N.A. Sentra are built I Mexico and have been for many years.i have rented French cars a number of times in Europe for long driving vacations, Peugeots, Renaults, a Citroen. The Renault Megane Sport we had for over a week on one trip, drove over 600 miles, was a nice car. The Clio is a well regarded B class car in Europe. Makes me wonder if the problems with the Sentra are more regional here in N.A...poor CVT, other quality issues. I have only driven manual trans cars in Europe. I particularly like the Peugeot 208 amd 308.

I rented Hyundai Elantras a couple of times last year. Did not like that car...uncomfortable seat, rough ride, very loud on the highway. Did achieve good MPG.
Different markets have different requirements and understanding. This Sentra is the best seller in China for many years. Also VW cars in China are very popular . In Europe Japanese cars are not as popular as they are in US and Canada. Because lack of public transportation and it is a vast country Canadian depend on their cars very much, so reliability is the number one important thing. I drove a Opel midsize diesel manual wagon in UK many years ago for a week, very nice car, but it is not sold in US and Canada. In Japan I feel cars are much quieter. In China reliability seems not so important, good looking and feels expensive is more important.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’ve had 2 Nissans with the CVT. One was a 2013 Altima and the other was a 2016 Rouge, which my son and his wife have now. They were both great cars, and after recently driving the Rouge again, I miss it.

The Altima got 27 mpg in town and 38 on the highway. My Camry best is 34 highway and I get about 26mpg on my mixed commute. My Rouge got the exact same 26 mpg on the same commute and was a bigger, AWD car.

The Sentra is an economy car. It sounds like the Tercel, or maybe it was a Carolla rental I had late last year. It was a total POS and would turn me off of a Toyota.

It felt great to get back in my Camry after that 700 miles.

Economy cars are just that: cheap transportation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts