Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I got a wierd problem, my car has been having a hard time going straight for a while now. I knew that I had to change my Axels(Cuz the boots kept breaking and other sutff, anyway) so I said that Ill get an alignment when I get the axels fixed.
So I went and got my axels changed and had the alignment done as I had planned. After recieving the car I noticed that the car STILL didn't go straight and seemed to pull just as much as before. I took it back thinking that the shop did a bad job on the alignment.

They redid the alignment and I took the car for a spin again and it was STILL pulling to the LEFT. When I center the wheel it pulls JUST a little to the left. And if I let go the car will pull a lil hard to the left.

So anyway, they put the car on the lift and the guys lets out a laugh and shows me what he found. I seem to be missing this bolt to whatever part thats called. He spoke with a thick CHinese accent and didn't understand shit. And I cant find my Haynes Manual because my GF cleaned my room and now everything is missing.

Anyway, whats this part thats missing the bolt called? How could this have happen? What is the effect of not having it there? (Is the Mechanic telling the truth?) Is it really worth the $250 dollars to fix? How dangerous is this? And most importantly, is there a way I can Do it myself. And what tools would I recomend?

Pics Below in Next post.

Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Can't view the pics.

Yahoo gives this error:

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.

Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Passenger Side missing the bolt.:

Close Up of Passenger Side missing bolt:

This is the DRIVER Side WITH the Bolt in it:

these should work.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
If the threads aren't stripped just get a new bolt from the dealer and screw it in. Then re-align. If it has been like that for a while it might have torn the bushings. Maybe that is what the 250 is for?

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
The pics are too dark, so I can't really see whats going on. No worries though, my Chiltons manual shows a pic of the underside of the car.

Theres 2 bolts on each side. LCA (lower control arm) to some kinda brace and from the brace to a subframe.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i'm really all for buying dealer parts but it's just a bolt and for the same price they want for that bolt you can go to home depot and get one for half the price and might be a slight bit better, well jack the car up and try to peek at the little rubber thing between the that and the frame if it looks good yay! if not have them replace the thing.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Alot guys for helping out.

88 LE - Good job finding that pic. In your pic from the manual Im missing the part labeled "bolt" thats highest up. I didn't really look too well but I think there is still the rubber underneath that.

I will go to the dealership and try to get the bolt sometime soon and see if I can install it myself. But just like trdcamry2003 said, I fear that it wont stay in place due the that hole being too wide.

Another question is, what does that part do? It seems to be just there not connecting anything together. But I know thats not the case.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
Hmmm.... Non automotive grade bolts may not be the best idea, even if they are one wuarter the price.

Automotive fastners, have to be dynamically rated for most of the applications when it is used in running gear, and other mechanical parts.

For trim pieces, there should be no difference with the cheap part or the other cheap part. .

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Thanks for the info. But does anyone know what I should do now? Is there any way to Do this myself? Is this realy the cause of the car not going straight? And most importantly, how did this happen?? Could this be the sign of a bigger problem?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
seems like you should be okay as long as you get the bolts back in

the fact that your lower control arm keeps shifting can easily explain why your car doesn't go straight

I'd say jack it up and try it yourself first (w/ a torque wrench) and if it's a no go, then go to a shop.....tho I don't see how it's 250vbucks if it's really just a couple of bolts....

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK tommorrow I will get the bolt and see if I can get it in somehow. Ill update everyone tommorrow.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*Update*

Okay I went to the dealership today and I asked about the missing bolt and its function and I found that a new bolt would cost only 4 bux. I decided that it was cheaper just to get it from Toyota then to waste my time and money on gas at the junkers. So its coming in on thursday. And I will try to install it then.

A funny little nugget of info that I got from them was that it shouldn't effect steering. Since it only works as a support for the suspension. Ill see if thats the case after I get it.

Another wierd thing is that the Haynes manual dosn't really cover this particular part. The ONLY mention of it is on Page 1-25 where it says that part of routine maintenance you should tighten it. But it dosn't say anything about what it does. Does anyone have ANY info on it from the Chiltons manual?

Ill update you guys with more later. Keep checking this thread.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Re: *Update*

Gridlyne said:
Another wierd thing is that the Haynes manual dosn't really cover this particular part. The ONLY mention of it is on Page 1-25 where it says that part of routine maintenance you should tighten it. But it dosn't say anything about what it does. Does anyone have ANY info on it from the Chiltons manual?
If you look at the pic I posted above, you'll see that one side of the lca (lower control arm) mounts to it.

That piece then mounts to the subframe. So its some kinda mount & brace for the lower control arm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts