Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Insert Custom User Title
Camry
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently run into an issue with my shift lever on my 5spd. There is a small bolt near the top of the shifter assembly the has a spring between the head of the post and the assembly molding. Something is missing and now the spring will force the rod out of position, allowing the shift lever to move freely.

Can anyone advise if there is a cap or cotter pin that keeps the shifter linkage near the top of the shift lever assembly from moving out of position?

The post that is on the right side next to the shift lever, will move out of position and allow the whole shifter to move vertically and laterally in an unusual manner.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
How to post pictures on the TN forum

Join the photobucket website:
http://s216.photobucket.com/
Then upload your photos. For each photo that is uploaded, there will be an IMG code ... look on the right side of the webpage ... lower right probably. Just click on the IMG code for each photo ... there should be an indication that it is copied to your clipboard. Next, return to the TN post and paste the IMG code for each picture into your message. When the message is either previewed or submitted, you will see the actual picture as it will appear on the forum.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Ahh, that bolt... I was trying to remove it to install my short shifter, but gave up for now.

You are missing a lock washer at the passenger end of that rod. It's a really weird setup: that rod is inserted into place, then a lock washer is pressed on it, THEN the end of the rod itself gets hammered to expand it (you can see the indentation from the hammer at the end of the rod).

This is what the said washer looks like (top one): link

It's probably impossible to "replace" the said washer due to the rod being expanded after washer installation, so you will have to improvise. My idea was to either replace the whole rod with a bolt and nut combo, or drill a hole at the end of the current rod and insert a locking pin in place of the press lock washer.

Good luck, and let us know how you solve the problem, as I'll be in the same boat when I do finally install my short shifter.

·
Insert Custom User Title
Camry
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's funny you mention the short shifter. I had put mine in about a decade ago without any problems. I think I pulled the OE washer off with some needle nose,, going around it slowly to avoid bending everything, then used a punch tool and hammer to gently tap it back into place. Haven't had any issue until now.

I grabbed a telescopic magnet, reached into space inside if the console and found a washer like the top one in your pic. I put the washer back on and pressed it into place with a flat head.

Thanks again, slavle.

It might come off again, but if it takes 10 yrs for it to happen again, I'm ok with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.