Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any experience with the aftermarket side scoops that you can buy for MK Is? (i see alot of similar products on the mark 2s, but never on a mark one in real life, just on the internet)

From what i can see, they just replace the pannel between the engin hood and side of the car. So...all that would accomplish as far as i can gather is put more air over the intercooler (if you have the 'Z' motor), as that the air intake is in the trunk.

What I would be interested in, is some sort of under body scoop that could suck in more air for the intake, but such a product seems to not exist....... Do any of you know if such a scoop exists, or if one can be fabricated?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
There is actually this guy out here in Cali... didn't really get a chance to talk to him much.... but I did get a pretty good look at his AW. He seemed to be fabricating the side scoops... and they looked pretty awesome. You're only chance atm is to probably do it yourself. Maybe you could even take one from an SW and form it to the AW?? .... dunno... but I have seen it done in person. One of them was completely built... the other needed to be hollowed out still.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jason, does this guy 'Ken' have a website, ive seen his scoops on ebay before, and have contemplated buying one....i just dont know if its worth it, have you noticed a decrease in engine temperature since installing the scoop?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Funny you should ask. I'm Ken's webmaster... we are currently working on the web site (He's too busy designing and producing his parts to finish the site content :)).

I haven't really noticed any drop in temp.

His web site URL is http://www.kdgarage.net. (Only a placeholder there now).

Email him for more details, or come on out to the MkI meet next month (link below). Ken will be there and you can see his products installed on his 87SC. He also has an alternative to the scoop... Its more of a "sculptured" vent that follows the natural airflow of the MkI. I strongly suggest just coming to the meet and talk to Ken. He loves to talk shop about our cars and his products.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49651

EDIT: woops... just saw on the other thread you're NorCal. Ken and I drove up for the Beach meet you guys had not too long ago. We will probably be back up there again in the future. In the meantime, just email Ken and he'll answer all of your questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts