Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be experiencing boost leak under any amount of psi. Basically what happens is my car just starts jerking if I try to hold a specific amount of boost. I just replaced the wastgate, which changed nothing. I have checked the charge pipes and all rubber, everything appears OK. Does any one have any other ideas?

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks J&H, I will give that a shot today and let you know.

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, problem solved. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and the car is screaming again. When I pulled my Nology wires, I noticed one was totally curroded. Nology stated they will repair or replace it for me no charge.

·
I do NOT exist ...
167 Posts
have you checked the vacuum lines for cracks/breaks? my car used to do the same thing occasionally and i changed all the vacuum lines when i did the turbo and clutch last year. hasn't done it since ... (knock on wood :D)

ryde said:
What is wrong with aftermarket wires?
i guess the simple answer is: generally, nothing other than them usually being more expensive for marginal-to-no added performance. i'm running Magnecor 8.5 mm's right now and have been for years. i have no complaints, but i respect the opinions on MR2T performance by the person who wrote the following:

Turbo MR2 DON'TS

I am just going to throw out some things I feel Turbo MR2 owners do that are in error or not necessary in the hopes that I can save some people time and money.

Please feel free to debate my points as it will add to greater knowledge for all. Also, feel free to add your own points.

Here's my top 10 DON'Ts

1. Buying aftermarket Blow Offs thinking they add performance. Spring loaded BOVs will respond slower than the OEM design which is operated on air only. The HKS unit that copies the OEM design is the only one that incorpates the air design and makes cool noises. BOVs cause differnt problems from running rich (blwoing off metered air) to running lean (if not securely closed).

2. Buying upgraded ignition wires. Time and again, we see MR2s perform flawlessly up to and above 300RWHP with OEM cap, rotor and wires.

3. Installing 550 Supra Injectors below 300RWHP. Too many people drop 550s in and run rich and cause all kinds of fueling issues.

4. Installing an SAFC to correct #3!

5. Over using Turbo Timers - Tthere is no need for excessive turbo timing: i.e. every time you park. It is only necessary for extended periods of parking (over night/all day) and with our cars cooling system a minute or so at most is all that is needed.

6. Iridium Spark Plugs - huge nono. Several MR2 owners (and other cars) have had these plugs break apart in the combusiton chamber casuing piston/valve damage.

7. Using Bosch Platinums Plugs - they just stink.

8. Thinking that an A/F gauge tells them something beyond the fact that there O2 sensor is working

9. Thinking their OEM boost gauge has value.

10. Drag Racing on 17" rims.

11. ... one more for good measure: Thinking there is no value in the MKII NA. I can't express how much fun my NA is to drive!

For what it's worth, I admit being guilty to all of the above except #2 and #5.
credit goes to JekylandHyde for the previous quote and you can view the whole thread in the 3SGTE section of the www.mr2oc.com board - it's a sticky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts