Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to Moab for some mountain biking and thought I would put my Tacoma to the test. I read about the route and wasn't expecting it to get too hairy. To make a long story short, the Tacoma did great. It would have been nice to have a little more clearance for the front skid plate, pin connector, and hitch. The clearance from my BFG AT KO's (265/75/16) and my amazing driving (haha) got the truck through without many scratches on the underside. The aluminum toyota skidplate took some hits but nothing else was too badly impacted. Here are some pics. The pics are relatively worthless because I was alone and didn't get any with very good perspective. disclaimer: four wheeling alone is stupid, but so is half the other stuff i do.

This was no hard core trail by any means, but I thought it was a good testament to the capabilities of the Tacoma offroad. The only relevant upgrade are the BFGs which were aired down. I think they helped significantly over stock.

I didn't see another jeep or any other vehicle except a few ATVs..

This is the first thing I thought I couldn't get up, but did:

another section:

The "money shot" at the end:

To compound my stupidity, I went down another route than the one I came up. It's an out and back with a loop at the end. It was a bit more severe on the way down, but gravity helped. As you can see, my hood corner is visible in this one and the corner of the bed in the next. Both photos were taken from the same spot in the trail looking down then up.

Looking back up:

Looking down:

Yet another section. I used A-Trac on this one and it seemed to have helped with the sandy rock:

Does this qualify as a hitch connector relocation?? The hitch kind of saved my bumper, I think:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does this qualify as a hitch connector relocation?? The hitch kind of saved my bumper, I think:
Heh, I did the same sort of thing last year. Went up Hurrah and for some reason decided to try to take Kane Creek out instead of the way I'd come in. Didn't get very far before I decided it was a bad idea, but not before doing the same thing to my plug (probably a little worse) and actually bending one of the chain loops on the hitch.

Nice pics, looks like a fun trip.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Busted my trailer connector out in Moab driving by Gemini Bridges. What trail are you on where you took the pics?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Busted my trailer connector out in Moab driving by Gemini Bridges. What trail are you on where you took the pics?
I was on the "top of the world" trail which is just north of Fisher Towers and Onion Creek road. The access is right from Dewey Bridge recreational area. Dewey bridge is about 25 miles north of Moab on 128. You go up the gravel road for a ways and take a right to top of the world. We always camp near Onion Creek road because we're too f-ing loud and too big a group to quietly coexist with others closer to Moab. haha That's why we camp way out there..

·
Registered
74 Posts
The "money shot" pic is amazing. I need to do a cross country roadtrip this summer and definitely stop by Utah.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I wonder how many times he asked "Did I set my e-brake" when he took that picture!

·
"There is no spoon"
31 Posts
Nice Pics! Gotta get that lift!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm bumping my own post because it's getting to be close to the Moab time of year and i want to highly recommend this Top of the World trail north of Moab. My stock Tacoma made it up fine. ATRAC and rear locker helped. It would have been less stressful with a 2-3 inch lift because even though the lift doesn't move the lower control arms and axles, etc., higher, it lifts some other shiny parts that you don't want damaged. of course bigger tires would have helped too but that wasn't in the cards for me yet.

a video from youtube of the lookout. i didnt take this video. those dudes didn't get the moneyshot! at least it's not in the vid.. oh well

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
You guys are killing me...Top of the World, Kane Creek, Gemini Bridges...way fun; Onion Creek...kids love the splashing (okay, so do I)...

The last time the wifey went out with me I got "lost" west of Dewey Bridge. She wasn't happy but it was pretty straightforward for me since I knew we were encircled by highways (and Arches), I just wasn't on the trail that I set out to be on...nothing a compass couldn't fix in short order. Last time she rode with me and now we are in Ohio....

Glad to see you were initiated with the hitch relocation. Mine is zip tied under the bed after being "persuaded" at Moab and only comes out when needed.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Moab is an awesome place! Tons of great wheeling, hiking, camping, just an all around great place to have a good time! Best part is, it is only three hours away for me! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts