Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in knowing how may miles do you guys run your mobil 1 oil( the one that doesnt say proven for 15000 miles). Also if you guys change the oil filter every 3,000 and then both oil and filter at anther mileage. I have heard many people do this for better filtration. Thanks

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
I change my oil every 4995 - 5005 miles and swap out the filter at the same time.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I change oil and filter usually every 3500miles. I have 8400miles on the truck and I have done 3 oil changes already...LOL during first few thousand miles I did them at 2200 and 4400 just cause i wanted to make sure from break in any small shavings where out of the system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Every 5K oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) and filter (Mobil1-102) at the same time.

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
every 3000 mobil 1 toyota filter heavy duty magnet on the side of the filter seeing we dont have a magnet on the drain plug :confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think it depends on how you drive it also. I take it easy, so every 5k will be fine for me. If you tow or drive it like a race car, i'd do it every 3k. I personally think 3k is overkill with todays technology in engines, oils and filters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
05 Access Cab, Impulse Red, SR5, 2.7 I4, Auto Trans.

Mobile1 5-30wt and Toyota filter at 5,000 mile intervals

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma TRD SP
110 Posts
Have any of you guys noticed an increase in gas mileage since switching to the Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil?

·
Registered
05 PreRunner DC LB
25 Posts
I did my first Mobile1 oil change at 2,500, second at 5,000 will now change every 5,000 as recomended by the manual. At the first change I switched to a Fram filter and at the second change I switched from Fram basic to Fram XG filter to reduce the engine tick. I put some rare earth magnets on the drain pan plug and side of the filter but haven't seen any collected metal (not surprising since it's an aluminum block).

MrSharkey

Oil and Filter References:
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/
http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html
http://www.motoroilbible.com/

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
216 Posts
First oil change at 150 miles with regular dino oil. Second at 1000 with a blend of Mobil 1 and dino mobil and will start a 5000 mile change interval with Mobil 1 at 5000 miles and each 5000 miles with a Toyota filter to keep within any warranty issues.

By the by, my service manager told me that Toyota does not recommend synthetic oil. Not that it doesn't allow it, just that it is not stated that it should or should not be used.

My take on that is they don't want owners to e lured into a false sense of extended drains that a synthetic may promote. They want that oil changed every 5-7,000 miles. Remember the sluge problems?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
My take on that is they don't want owners to e lured into a false sense of extended drains that a synthetic may promote. They want that oil changed every 5-7,000 miles. Remember the sluge problems?
What do you mean "a false sense of extended drains"? "Extended drain" does not mean "maintenance free". You need to have the oil analyzed at a regular interval the first few times you use it (5000 miles). You then gradually increase the interval if so advised. Have the oil analyzed on a regular basis from there on out to ensure proper engine wear. Anectdotal advice is great but that is not why they don't promote synthetic oil. They don't promote it because they don't sell it. It's always about money.

I will still change my oil at 5000 or 6 months during the warranty period. I will also have the oil analyzed to make sure that what I'm doing can be extended in the future.

So what you should have said is, "they don't want anyone lured into the habit of not spending $50 at the dealer every three months."

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
I'm curious, how do you have your oil analyzed? Do you take it to a lab or something?

·
PSU TACO
05 Access Cab TACO
116 Posts
kbultaco said:
Mobil 1 5w-30 Every 5000 miles with a toyota oil filter.
Same Here

·
Registered
05 Taco PreR AC TRD
163 Posts
egod8 said:
Every 5K oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) and filter (Mobil1-102) at the same time.
:rockon:

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
216 Posts
boone88rr said:
What do you mean "a false sense of extended drains"? "Extended drain" does not mean "maintenance free". You need to have the oil analyzed at a regular interval the first few times you use it (5000 miles). You then gradually increase the interval if so advised. Have the oil analyzed on a regular basis from there on out to ensure proper engine wear. Anectdotal advice is great but that is not why they don't promote synthetic oil. They don't promote it because they don't sell it. It's always about money.

I will still change my oil at 5000 or 6 months during the warranty period. I will also have the oil analyzed to make sure that what I'm doing can be extended in the future.

So what you should have said is, "they don't want anyone lured into the habit of not spending $50 at the dealer every three months."
OK not spending $50 at the dealer it is, if that's the way you feel it is but ---

What I meant was, if we could put $ aside, Toyota MAY not want its owners to feel just because they put in a synthetic, they can automatically go the 12 - 15,000 miles between changes that the oil makers sometimes claim. Toyota is gun shy because previous sludge issues they had and they now feel that anything over XXXXX miles is too much to go and want oil changed at the intervals they recommend no matter what oil is used.

Oil analysis is a good way of determining the condition of your soup and can give you a fine idea of how it is holding up under your driving conditions but keep in mind that the service manager knows I am doing all my own maintenance and he advised me to stay in the guide lines to hold up my warranty and I personally would not go more than 8-10,000 miles even after the warranty and no matter what the lab says, due to fuel dilution and additive depletions that may be getting close to their limits.

It is cheaper and yes, more mentally satisfying, for me to do slightly early changes myself than to try to squeeze out the last useful drop of an oils life and possibly go beyond its limits. Factor in the costs of oil analysis and you could be behind the 8 ball in the long run.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just did my first one at 4,000 with mobile one and a purolator filter. Man was that filter on tight. Had to use the screwdriver through the filter to get more leverage on the filter.

It on handtight now :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
just did my first oil change, with mobil 1 15k mile 10 w 30, i will change it in 6k miles hopefully when spring/summer gets here and throw mobil 1 0w30 in there some nice racing oil:clap:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts