Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
boone said:
They do. See post #6. I'm trying one for the first time this interval. After seeing 3 excellent particle counts, I'm convinced they are one of the best. After an analysis, I'll decide on whether to stick with them or go back to the Amsoil filters which I can get for the same price.

Sorry for the confusion I was just saying that AutoZone was axing Mobil1 because it doesn't fit their red, orange and black color scheme. K&N does. It was supposed to be a joke... that bombed fantastically.
Cool I was a bit confused but now I see the light...........Speaking of which I have a mobil one filter on right now and the next oil change will be going to the K&N. Boone you usually know what you are talking about so that's why I was like "WTF" :lol:

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
I was at my local AutoZone today and they are still carrying Mobil1 oil filters. I asked the guy at the counter what filter the Tacoma took and it is not in their system. I also stopped by Napa before AutoZone and they wanted to charge me $38 for 6 qts of Mobil1!!! I'm gonna stick to buying 5quart jugs at WalMart for $22.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Since they couldn't tell you the oil filter you need, just see if they can cross-reference the mobil 1 filters to their own filters. M-102, or M-209. The M-209 has more capacity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just changed the factory oil out to Mobil1 5w-30, and an M1-102 filter. I discovered that the M1-102 filter is noticeably shorter than what was on the truck from the factory. Are there any proven advantages of using the M1-209?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
EasyRider said:
I just changed the factory oil out to Mobil1 5w-30, and an M1-102 filter. I discovered that the M1-102 filter is noticeably shorter than what was on the truck from the factory. Are there any proven advantages of using the M1-209?
More oil capacity for one. About 0.17 quarts.

Actually, and I'm not sure if this goes for Mobil1 as well, but Wix publishes their Beta ratios (an indicator of how well a filter controls particulate). The oversized Wix 51516 (crosses to M1-209) has a significantly better Beta Ratio than the filter that is suggested for the 1GR-FE (51348 or M1-102).

There is a debate as to whether oversized filters do enough to justify what is normally an additional cost.

From the numbers I've seen, oversized filters stop more particles the first time through. I will be using oversized filters from now on.

Wix #51348 -> 2/20=21/37

For 21 micron particles, 1 out of every 2 escapes the filter. For 37 micron particles, 1 out of every 20 escapes.

Wix #51516 -> 2/20=14/31 (oversized)

For 14 micron particles, 1 out of every 2 escapes. For 31 micron particles, 1 out of every 20 escapes.

The Mobil1 numbers are probably different but the effect is the same. The oversized is clearly better in this case. Wix can say that it is 95% efficient down to 31 microns and 50% efficient down to 14 microns. That's very good.

Wix makes great filters and they can back it up with actual specs. I wish all aftermarket companies would do the same.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
TrdTacoma84 said:
Napa carries Wix right? Im either going to try the wix or the KN oil filter. Thanks Boone for your great knowledge in the oil department.
Napa Gold or Carquest Blue.

Consider www.fleetfilter.com also. You can get those oversized Wix filters (51516) for about $4 each and that includes shipping as long as you buy a few (6).

Napa and Carquest charge over $5 for the same filter plus tax.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
TrdTacoma84 said:
Wow they are cheaper than the mobil 1 and the kn by far. And they work just as good? Thats pretty good. Thanks Man.
I never said they were as good as K&N, Mobil1 or Amsoil. They are, by far, cheaper.

With the exception of PureOne's (which have restriction issues) you can't do much better for the $4-5 price range than a Wix, IMO.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Oh i see, sweet next time i have to get parts from NAPA which is usually soon. Ill pick me up a KN for my next oil change and highly recommend to my friends that dont really carry about there engines a Wix filter. Good info man.

·
Registered
159 Posts
theflavor said:
I was at my local AutoZone today and they are still carrying Mobil1 oil filters. I asked the guy at the counter what filter the Tacoma took and it is not in their system.
I had to do the same thing today. The book that is normally located near the filters was only for K&N media. I asked and he listed the brands that you did. I drove to an Autozone about 15 minutes away and they had an older book there. One that listed the Mobil 1 part numbers. I grabbed the last two M1-102 filters that they had. Not sure why one store listed the numbers and another didn't but it may be like another poster said and they are not going to carry them anymore. :whatthe:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Home > Shopping > Pre Part Type Selected

Search Results: Oil Filter

Click "Buy Online" beside the item you'd like to purchase from AutoZone.com.
Click "Add to Store List" beside the item you'd like to add to a shopping list that can be sent to and paid for at your preferred AutoZone store.

Oil Filter for a
2006 Toyota Truck Tacoma Prerunner 2WD
Normal Stock
Special Order
Not Available

Item Part
No.
Warranty Core
Value Unit
Price Availability Store Web STP S3614
$3.19
FRAM
EXTRA GUARD PH3614
$3.69
Full flow filter-spin on type
K&N HP-1002
$11.99
PERFORMANCE GOLD;

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
tsl90 said:
Is this the oversized, high volume, size or the standard?

TL
Standard. I didn't see an oversized one at Autozone. I'm sure they make one though. I had an oversized mobil one that I just changed after my last oil change. Now I'm running a napa gold. I'm swiching to Mobile one fully synthetic on my next oil change and will be running a k & n oil flter.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.