Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pretty crappy when company don't keep website and database up to date since they do offer 0W-16

·
Registered
366 Posts
Supposedly the new gf6 standards are coming out in March or April and from what I've read the oil companies cannot advertise or label their products meeting the new specs until they are actually published. I find it hard to believe that Mobil doesn't at least meet the specs since they are the blender for toyota oil.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Pretty crappy when company don't keep website and database up to date since they do offer 0W-16
It's not the 0W-16. There is some other spec it supposedly doesn't meet, but I would not worry about.

But on the other hand, there is no way I would use 0W-16 water (I mean motor oil). Either I would buy a different car, or risk voiding the warranty by using 0W-20 (but I don't think Toyota would make a stink if I used a full synthetic 0W-20).

·
Registered
366 Posts
LOL, interesting you say that about 0/16. That was the first thing I checked whether it used 0/16 or 0/20 before I even let myself get interested in my taco. 0/20, ok, now I'm interested.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Although it doesnt state which model, it does say for select Toyota and Honda. Currently only the New Camry and Honda Fit uses 0w16. If it doesnt meet the criteria, why even offer/state about it on the website and on the bottle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's not the 0W-16. There is some other spec it supposedly doesn't meet, but I would not worry about.

But on the other hand, there is no way I would use 0W-16 water (I mean motor oil). Either I would buy a different car, or risk voiding the warranty by using 0W-20 (but I don't think Toyota would make a stink if I used a full synthetic 0W-20).
I've been using Mobil 1 0w-16 on my Camry. I don't have any problems or oil consumption problems.

What is it about the oil 0w-16 that the manufacturer themselves recommends the oil would make you steer away from buying the car?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 0w-16 on my Camry. I don't have any problems or oil consumption problems.

What is it about the oil 0w-16 that the manufacturer themselves recommends the oil would make you steer away from buying the car?
The move to 0W-16 was solely for the purpose of increasing fuel economy, at the expense of engine longevity. I understand why Toyota (and others) are being forced to do that, but I personally am more interested in engine longevity.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The move to 0W-16 was solely for the purpose of increasing fuel economy, at the expense of engine longevity. I understand why Toyota (and others) are being forced to do that, but I personally am more interested in engine longevity.
You said it all right there. Which is why I stick to 0-20. The EPA can bite me as I remember all too well their “unleaded gas won’t hurt your 1970s and earlier engines “ crock of statement all too well. It was eating up valve seats in as little as 2000 miles yet somehow they never caught on. Bull . Then along came Ethanol E10 and we did it all again with small engines, boats, outboards ect. The manufacturers have a gun in their ear so have to just keep promoting the party line .
If you really want to know what’s in the oil and how it fares against the SAE requirements save this site. They also list the junk oils coolants and fluids to sort of police their own industry for other things like false claims,understandable marking, advertising claims and such. It’s a rather hard to get around site but if you dig you’ll find nearly any oil out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
This has been explained in other threads many times.
From oil to coolant to transmission fluid, I see lots of paranoia around manufacturer recommendations. Not doubting you because you seem knowledgeable in other oil threads you've commented in, but I would like to see evidence showing that engine life is compromised by using 0w16. I know oil is a divisive topic. I mainly see criticism around the 10k oil changes because and which brands of oil are better or worse, maybe I missed the facts.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
There is no paranoia. Some owners don't lease or trade in every few years. Current marketing, like everything in the USA, leans toward disposable products.... chew that bubblegum and spit it out... repeat as needed.

Some of us want and expect to keep the vehicle considerably longer than norms. We don't want "good enough" with our maintenance schedules, fluids/filters/parts used, or intervals. Some of us want exceptional.

Automakers can vote on SAE/API/ILSAC requirements, can request waivers or exceptions for certain performance aspects. So, when you dumb down a standard or are exempted from it with certain oils, do you really want to use it?

If the .1-.2% fuel economy is your goal, stick with the 0w16 oil. Plenty of choices out there regardless if it meets the never ending change of requirements constantly being voted on. My cars that require 0w20 and 5w20 get a full synthetic 5w30. If I were to buy a vehicle requirement 0w16, I'd step up to the grossly thick offensive 0w20 synthetics.

RC wasn't a requirement for 0w16 when it was released. RC was allegedly pushed by Toyota for their .1-.2% fuel economy improvements for CAFE. High moly oils also don't do too well with TEOST testing.... guess which oil test standards were allegedly lowered to give the high moly 0w16 and 0w20 an easier 'pass' concerning TEOST testing?

I've given up on SAE/ILSAC/API when emission components and MPG have taken a priority over engine longevity. "Almost as good" and "good enough" have been the engineering and lubrication goals. "Exceed the previous spec" just isn't on the drawing board anymore.

BTW, my Toyota is more advanced than a Ferrari and will be driven 10x as many miles as most Ferraris, and put thru more stress in my commute than any Ferrari sitting in a garage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Right now there is no data to substantiate endurance (total miles) for running 0W16 and if there is, show me.

My Highlander runs 0W20 and has close to 100k miles. Back in the days, same fear. Oil cap does say 5W20 or 0W20.

If you are not concern with voiding the warranty and warranty claim can be difficult then do anything you want.

·
Registered
204 Posts
From oil to coolant to transmission fluid, I see lots of paranoia around manufacturer recommendations. Not doubting you because you seem knowledgeable in other oil threads you've commented in, but I would like to see evidence showing that engine life is compromised by using 0w16. I know oil is a divisive topic. I mainly see criticism around the 10k oil changes because and which brands of oil are better or worse, maybe I missed the facts.
I think you hit the nail on the head with change interval. I had started thread on this and have my doubts for 10k change interval.
Going to stick with 7k myself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You said it all right there. Which is why I stick to 0-20. The EPA can bite me as I remember all too well their “unleaded gas won’t hurt your 1970s and earlier engines “ crock of statement all too well. It was eating up valve seats in as little as 2000 miles yet somehow they never caught on. Bull . Then along came Ethanol E10 and we did it all again with small engines, boats, outboards ect. The manufacturers have a gun in their ear so have to just keep promoting the party line .
If you really want to know what’s in the oil and how it fares against the SAE requirements save this site. They also list the junk oils coolants and fluids to sort of police their own industry for other things like false claims,understandable marking, advertising claims and such. It’s a rather hard to get around site but if you dig you’ll find nearly any oil out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice. I hate these god dam tests where people just put numbers without and reference as to what is good, better, best and without having to click through all the links.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If using 0w16 doesn't help with engine longevity, assuming it will show wear with this oil. Would doing a few Used Oil Analysis show that the engine is wearing out? If so, what would we be looking for?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts