Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reached my first oil change with my new 07 Taco, aprox. 3k miles. I wanted to go with a Mobile-1 oil filter but I can't seem to find a part number for an 07. Can anyone help with this and/or can anyone confirm if the filter would be the same used on an 06 Tacoma? I think the part number for an 06 is M1-102. :rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boone. I suppose it's not a big deal that the Mobil filter is about 1/3rd shorter than the stock filter on the truck?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Bareknuckles said:
Thanks Boone. I suppose it's not a big deal that the Mobil filter is about 1/3rd shorter than the stock filter on the truck?
Nah. The replacement filters you would buy from Toyota are also smaller than the filters that the V6's were shipped with.

:dunno:

I guess they don't like my "bigger is better" hypothesis.

Just FYI for the future: http://toyotanation.com/forum/t153712.html

You can get a couple of as good or better quality filters for less than you paid for that Mobil1. HP-1002 is the size you're using now.

·
Registered
Paseo/Tacoma
379 Posts
I picked up a handful of M1-209's about 6 months back on sale at AutoZone and now I've gone through them all. I need to start watching the ads again

·
Registered
335 Posts
6shooter said:
why anyone would ever put a non-toyota oil filter on there toyota, i have no idea. they really are much better quality than any aftermarket application. it's not like it's an 88 camry here and it's starting to not matter, it's a brand new truck.
I'm with you on that!!! I know there are good filters out there like wix and amsoil but I feel better with an OEM filter. The people that get the jiffy lube filters are just clueless. If you go to the toyota parts desk sometimes they will give you the smaller filter,don't let them talk you into it. The filter that comes on these trucks is the same one as the V8 tundra .

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
6shooter said:
why anyone would ever put a non-toyota oil filter on there toyota, i have no idea. they really are much better quality than any aftermarket application..
:lol:

·
Mountaineer
499 Posts
6shooter said:
why anyone would ever put a non-toyota oil filter on there toyota, i have no idea. they really are much better quality than any aftermarket application.
got to disagree with ya here.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Why would anyone put an aftermarket suspension on thier Toyota?

Because it's better!

·
TN User
06 Tacoma DBL Cab LB
265 Posts

·
Tacosalad
06 Taco
162 Posts
I role with the WIX brand...best bang for the the buck it seems...i was thinking Mobil 1 ...but they had comparable ratings...and half the price

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
I had a Mobil 1 filter on before the WIX filter I have on right now. I liked the Mobil 1 Filter better, it seemed like it had more flow capacity as my engine has more of that valvetrain tick with the WIX filter then it did with the Mobil 1 Filter. With the Mobil 1 filter my engine was dead silent but the tick came back when I put the WIX filter on, it is however leagues better then the Stock Toyota filter that came with the truck. Both times I have used the same Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic so it doesn't have anything to do with the actual oil.

Also, no offence but you guys who are saying that the Stock Toyota filter is better then any aftermarket filter definitely haven't done your research. While it is true that some aftermarket filters can be worse then the OEM Filter (Fram comes to mind) the fact is that if you do you're research and pick a company that is known to produce high quality filters, then you will have a much better filter then stock. These companies include Mobil 1, Amsoil, K&N and WIX, any of these and probably a lot of others would be much better then the OEM filter. Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ there is tons of good info there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This has litle to do with the orig question, but I have an oil filter question.
I have an 05 Camry V6 and the last Toyota filter failed to seal because the can bottgemed on the engine block before the gasket had enough to seal properly.
Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
ccweitzel said:
This has litle to do with the orig question, but I have an oil filter question.
I have an 05 Camry V6 and the last Toyota filter failed to seal because the can bottgemed on the engine block before the gasket had enough to seal properly.
Has anyone else had this problem?
bottgemed? :confused:

Also you might want to check with the Camry forum. Not the same V6 in these trucks.

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
Why would anyone put an aftermarket suspension on thier Toyota?

Because it's better!
um, better how? can you really feel it filtering that oil? just like any other thing like an 02 sensor, or brake pads, or whatever, aftermarket parts are for the most part inferior to factory. i don't know if that is true with other manufacturers or not-but it is with toyota. just like toyota has the best vehicle products, they have the best parts for them as well. just my thoughts i guess. i have worked for toyota for years and i am a firm believer. guess i'm biased.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
6shooter said:
um, better how? can you really feel it filtering that oil? just like any other thing like an 02 sensor, or brake pads, or whatever, aftermarket parts are for the most part inferior to factory. i don't know if that is true with other manufacturers or not-but it is with toyota. just like toyota has the best vehicle products, they have the best parts for them as well. just my thoughts i guess. i have worked for toyota for years and i am a firm believer. guess i'm biased.
You have quite a bias there dude... Toyota doesn't put the best of everything on their cars that would make their cars wicked expensive like a Mercedes Benz. Most aftermarket oil filters like the Mobil M1-102 are proven to filter out smaller particles and provide higher oil flow then the stock OEM filter. Also 02 Sensors...the truck comes with a Narrowband O2 sensor (most cars do) but you can buy an aftermarket Wideband O2 sensor and a tuning box like the PLX R-500 and get a better tune and therefore better performance out of the engine. Brakes...if what you were saying were true there would be no point behind buying the StopTech Big Brake kit for the Tacoma. Nothing on this truck is the best of the best, true it is pretty damn good though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts