Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're giving my 16 yr old daughter her first car. It was Mom's car - a 2002 LE stock w/ 40K mi - no upgrades except for OEM "LE" installs including a moonroof - which I don't see very often on Rollas...

Anyway, she is wanting "mods" done - purely cosmetic - to make it personalized (i.e., not Mom's car). Soooo...

I'm thinking of the following but could use some advise from you experts in this forum

#1 upgrade - rims. She wants 7 spoke chrome. Any suggestions? Good deals? Existing tires are GYear P185/65R14. Do I need new tires too?

#2 upgrade - body kit w/ spoiler. Car color is silver. Do i have to worry about color match? Is this something I can install myself? And, any recommendations on where to buy?

#3 upgrade - window tint. I think I've got that covered - there's a local shop in town w/ a good reputation. Percent tint?

#4 upgrade - sound system. I had a 180W JVC Radio/CD-player (single) installed for the wife, but speakers are stock and could use an upgrade. Do I buy off-the-shelf and install myself or is it better value to take to an audio shop?

Guess that's about it. Really appreciate your thoughts & feedback. She turns 16 in a month (and gets unrestricted license). Better stock up on the Rolaids...

Thanks... JMB

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
you are a VERY COOL DAD!!!

well anyways.. I have a 01 corolla LE .. not so stock.. I would stay iwth the factory bumper (because it's polyurethane, all the bodykits are all fiberglass right now and fiberglass is pretty delicate), but get a TRD lip kit or valance kit if you can find it (on ebay or if you are despirate @ the dealership .. they will charge you an arm and a leg though.. .. get rims of her choice (if you get rims usually you would have to get new tires too if you decide to get a larger rim with a lower profile tire).. but make sure the specifications are right.. 4 X 100 is the bolt pattern , perhaps upgrade the suspension with KYB GR2's (there are other options such as tokico blues, but kybs have a lifetime limited warrenty) with a good set of lowering springs. TRD exhaust (can be found on ebay maybe car forums, or dealer :rolleyes: ) .. sound system you can purchase any as long as it's 6.5 '' all around.. amplify them if you wish.. you can also get subs!! ..

oh yah and get some good ol gutterguard from homedepot and place it in the front air dam, to prevent your radiator from stone chips, etc.

but before you start all this, make sure you do your fair share of research.. do it once and do it right..

**EDIT: no spam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey - thanks.

What if I could get a mod kit w/ spolier on a closeout deal for $349, regular $1,166? Check out www.romaniatoyotaparts.com. And I checked the color code - it matches.

Rims - yeah, we're working on that. I'm looking at e-Bay item #7922487619. Matches pattern - 4x100. And you're right - if I get these 17" rims I'll be looking at new tires too.

On the suspension & exhaust upgrades - I'm going to have to check with dealer to make sure that doesn't invalidate my extended warranty. If it's TRD - it shouldn't. But, those upgrades might come later - I'm trying to stick under $1K for this package.

I'm still thinking about the sound sys. I bought a pair of Jensen speakers at Target the other day. They are 6.5" 120W with 2-way swivel tweeter. You think she will notice a difference between them and stock speakers? What about the speakers in the door?

Thanks again - & if you get a chance - pls reply back!

JMB

Good idea on the gutterguard - I'll check it out!

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
suspension you are looking at 1200 installed in terms of TRD shocks and springs..

If you go KYB GR2's I believe they offer limited lifetime warrenty .. and KYB GR2's are basically TRD .. TRD buys them and then rebadges it for their use.. basically anything TRD aslong as it's TRD and/or installed by them will not void your warrenty.. they offer lifetime warrenty on their suspension but not too sure about their exhaust.

the TRD exhaust is 700 .. which is extremely expensive again.. but keep in mind that this is canadian currency.

The gutterguard really does make the car look a lot more agressive from the front!!!!

*Rants.. * . yahh..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a great thing your doing for your daughter. I have a 3 yr old daughter myself.

I have the TRD lip kit on my car and love it, I have run it up on high curbs lot of times and just touch it up with paint. If it would have been fiberglass it probably would be cracked.

I just won a muffler on ebay for $1. I am going to have a local shop install it and add an extra in line resonator to tone it down a bit (since I'm in my 30's)

I installed Alpine 6.5 inch speakers front and back in mine and they sound great.

Getting ready to get some TEIN H tech springs to lower it.

I installed a carbon fiber dash overlay kit which gave the interior a more sporty feel to it.

I blacked out my headlights and front corner lights, and added black rear altezza taillights to it.

Heres a picture of the blacked out lights and TRD ground effects kit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds pretty nice of you dad. I have a 16 year old son and I'm fixing mine up for me! I have a set of 16" chrome Fastco rims (out of Montreal) and a set of Red BF Goodrich Scorchers 205/40ZR16. These are almost identical outside diameter of the stock 13's. BUT.......because of the short sidewall, they ride like a lumber wagon and there's a lot more road noise. I can't imagine having 17's. Personally I would only buy tires and rims locally. If there's a problem, you have someone to deal with. I deal a lot on eBay, but I don't think that's the place to get tires and rims. Just my opinion. I think 15's would have been better and something narrower than the 40's. I had to cut out my rear inner fenders because the tires scrubbed. Since the picture, I have put in TRD lowering springs and had the front realigned. Contrary to popular belief you do need to do it. I ruined $400 worth of front tires because I was told it wasn't necessary. I too upgraded to a full Premier (Pioneer top line) stereo and speakers. Alot cleaner and more bottom end, but still needs a sub. Alteezza tail lights are inexpensive and there are 2 or 3 versions to chose from...check eBay. My Corolla is an "S", so it has the front fog lights. That makes it look a bit more complete in the front. I have 5% tint on the rear, 2 rear sides and windshield top. I have 15% on driver and passenger windows. It's perfect! Seems like you're in a cave at first, but once you get used to it, you won't change. Have fun and make sure your daughter is part of the decision making and installation. It will make her appreciate it a bit more rather than just handing it to her. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. The additional replies are appreciated!!!

I'm glad to hear about your issues w/ 17" rims. And after looking at the cost, I'm thinking about just getting 14" rims - chrome spoke and using same tires. My daughter certainly doesn't need Z rated tires - don't want to give her the wrong ideas ;) And I was thinking about just going to local tire shop anyway. The thought of that expense & risk over eBay... just was too much.

Regarding the body kit i purchased. I assume it was a TRD lip kit w/ spoiler and if so, are they hard to install yourself???? Order was confirmed and should ship Monday - so I'll be waiting...

Good idea on the Altezza rears - I'm going to check eBay on that one.

What about the front door speakers? What size and are they hard to replace? How do I remove the door panel?

Much thanks to all in this forum. OBTW - we're definitely a Toyota family. In addition to the 02 Corolla... I drive a 03 Sequoia SR5 and we've had a 94 Camry (had 140K miles and going strong until wife's friend totaled it) and we've had a 95 red Celica 5 spd (before lease ran out). Just love em...

JMB out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.