Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just dropped a decent amount of money into my Tacoma, and I'd like to have the truck covered as it now is in case of accident or theft. Anyone have any experience getting insurance companies to add mods (in my case, Camburg 2.5's, UCA's, XD series wheels, Hella 4000's, Hella FF's, custom light bar) to the value of the truck? [Pictures to come Friday when the coil overs get cranked up to 3'', currently at 2'' because the 1'' block in the rear arrived without U-bolts]

I'm currently with All State.

I'm a little hesitant to call before I know how they're going to look at it.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I'm with Allstate as well, about to dump them though, not happy with my insurance agent. Its doubtful they'll cover anything, but I have personal property insurance that would probably cover it. It's about 200 bucks a year, very much like Renter's insurance, I think it covers it all, and its not through allstate

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you check your policy? My policy clearly states that up to $3k in accessories will be covered. The exclusions are limited to electronics that can easily be removed from the vehicle (gps, ipod, etc...). I can't remember what the exact language is, but when I read the policy there was no doubt that my stuff was covered up to $3,000.

If it's not outlined in the document, call your insurance agent and ask about purchasing additional coverage.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I don't know for sure about Allstate but with State Farm I had to list my tires / wheels and shell with them as a rider on my policy if I wanted coverage. Tires and wheels are no biggie since they will cover the cost of replacing OEM alloys and tires (which cost as much as my custom wheels and tires) but the shell bumped my insurance bill about 20 bucks a year since it was a $1750 addition. Otherwise it would not have been covered at all.

Heavily modded trucks (or cars) aren't automatically covered for anything but bone stock replacement costs.

It was worth adding it on mine... JUST IN CASE.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most insurance companies allow you a limited amount of aftermarket mods on your vehicle to be included with your coverage (normally about $2000 - $3000), and you obviously need to keep receipts for all those mods - they'll ask you for those if something happens to your truck. For additional insurance on other mods, I think they'll ask you to put those under a different type of policy, like personal insurance policies.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I work for USAA as an insurance adjuster. I can tell you now that a personal property policy will not cover something that is attached to a vehicle. As for your Auto policy.... With us, anything that is a part of the vehicle (attached such as a bumper, coils, sub box, ext... not removable gps and such) will be covered. Having them cover the aftermarket items is a matter of receipts and Pictures. The more evidence you have the better your case will be. This is how it is with USAA anyhow.

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
I have my truck, and big mods covered with Nationwide (Lift, Tires, ect). All I had to do was go to my local agent, they took pictures and wanted copies of receipts. Within minutes, they said it was all covered. Felt much better leaving the parking lot. It was an extra $15 or so every 6 months. Well worth it with $4k+ under the body... especially with people these days.

Iv been posting about this for a while, esp in those 'totaled truck' posts we all see. Iv been hoping people catch onto this, you can only beat on people so much before your arm gets tired :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice topic. It's good to see someone trying to protect their investments before they invest. Im also very interested in this subject since i want to spend more than 3K on my truck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just switched to GEICO (actually did save more that 15%). In their online application/quotation, there was a section to list aftermarket accessories to be covered.

I also wonder if a homeowner/umbrella policy would not kick in in this event? If you get items stolen from your car, often the homeowner policy will cover them.

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
A friend of mine just got a Charger SRT8, he's insured with a $50k Agreed Value Policy for $78 a month. He's already started modding it with a custom stereo install, wheels/tires/suspension and some other goodies and tricks. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts