Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Can you point me in the right direction,
I need to beef up my suspension without comprising the soft ride as much as possible for towing a cargo trailer across country for a move,
It’s still a family car.
2018 corolla IE stock.
Thank you

Mark:grin:
Mark,

I had a hitch on my Corolla for a while, and towed a small 4x6 trailer I used for auto detailing. Total weight was MAYBE 800-100 lbs and the Corolla REALLY struggled. I wouldn't recommend using the Corolla to try and haul everything you own across country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corolla iM

Still no update for the iM mods? Been doing some research on my own and turbo kit that turbokits.com makes will bolt up with our exhaust manifold at the very least. Just like the Corolla sedan, the piping for the intercooler and such will have to be custom. Tuning might be different as well since the iM uses valvematic.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
Corolla iM

Still no update for the iM mods? Been doing some research on my own and turbo kit that turbokits.com makes will bolt up with our exhaust manifold at the very least. Just like the Corolla sedan, the piping for the intercooler and such will have to be custom. Tuning might be different as well since the iM uses valvematic.
The base tune will work fine until you got it fine tuned locally. The parts will all bolt up but as you said the I/C pipe will need to be tweaked but that is simple to do. I love the turbo kit on my 2009 Corolla S. The car is completely transformed with 230 HP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
vvti intake solenoid. exhaust solenoid coming soon.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
Corolla iM

Everything should fit okay with minor adjustments to the I/C piping. The base tune should also work fine until the final tune was performed. I love the turbo kit. It performs beautifully and is of very high quality. Having the extra 100 HP is a beautiful thing. I have it installed on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo and love having a very unique 10th Gen Corolla.

·
Registered
2018 Corolla LE
13 Posts
What does everyone think of modifying and possibly doing a wide body build on an 11th gen Corolla?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be interested in a list of iM parts as well. I've looked at what fits from the non-iM list, but I'd like to see any additional mods for the iM that are not covered there. Just picked up a '17 six-speed and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
I would be interested in a list of iM parts as well. I've looked at what fits from the non-iM list, but I'd like to see any additional mods for the iM that are not covered there. Just picked up a '17 six-speed and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it.
I've been buying parts for my 17 Corolla iM 6MT since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. I bought a TWM short shifter and Tanabe lowering springs that I still need to install. I've installed my DNA exhaust (which I love) and my TB Performance Mid Chassis Brace. I added window visors, tinted windows and a complete front clear bra. I also bought some new Enkei 17x8 +45mm wheels that are almost 6lbs lighter than the OEM wheels. I also added fog lights.
Slowly but surly she is coming together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking good. Was the short shifter worth it? The shifter in mine seems to run the gears nice, and has a good 'notchy' feel to it. Wasn't sure if the shifter was enough of an improvement to justify the cost.
Once I have my tax return, going to be putting Motegi MR131's on in Matte Bronze, 18x9 35mm with some Nitto Neo Gen 235/40ZR18s. Likely picking up some coilovers at the same time.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
Looking good. Was the short shifter worth it? The shifter in mine seems to run the gears nice, and has a good 'notchy' feel to it. Wasn't sure if the shifter was enough of an improvement to justify the cost.
Once I have my tax return, going to be putting Motegi MR131's on in Matte Bronze, 18x9 35mm with some Nitto Neo Gen 235/40ZR18s. Likely picking up some coilovers at the same time.

View attachment 291606
The short shifter will be awesome. I have a TWM SS kit installed on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo, my 2006 Scion xB and I installed one in my daughters 2007 Corolla and my other daughters 2008 Yaris. Every one was a huge difference. I'm okay with the shifting of my iM but the throws are too long and the feel will improve even more with the SS kit. I looked at those wheels before but I like wheels that have spokes that extend to the outer edge of the rim, that way they look bigger. To me the 17" size is perfect on the iM. The 18" only cost more, weigh more and the ride is worse. I see a lot of people with the 18" wheels on the new 12th Gen Corolla thinking about 17" wheels as a better option. As you can see in the pic that I posted of my iM, my wheels look like 18" wheels. Looking forward to seeing what the wheels look like once you get them.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
I have no idea why my reply posted twice. Very weird.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These Motegi's are pretty light, since they are forged. Only 19 pounds each. Should be shaving about 4-5 pounds of unsprung weight per corner. The other thing I like about these, is that the curve of the spoke goes all the way to where the hub meets the rim. There are a lot of spoke-style wheels that have a flat step between the spoke and the rim, and to me it breaks the flow of the wheel.

Step like these:

This is the other wheel I was considering:

They are heavier though, they weigh about as much as the stock wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed an aluminium flywheel on my manual 17 IM 6 speed. Not sluggish like the stock steel flywheel.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
These Motegi's are pretty light, since they are forged. Only 19 pounds each. Should be shaving about 4-5 pounds of unsprung weight per corner. The other thing I like about these, is that the curve of the spoke goes all the way to where the hub meets the rim. There are a lot of spoke-style wheels that have a flat step between the spoke and the rim, and to me it breaks the flow of the wheel.

Step like these:

This is the other wheel I was considering:

They are heavier though, they weigh about as much as the stock wheels.
I'm not a fan of the Voxx wheels although I do like that the spoke extends to the very edge of the wheel. I'm surprised that the Traklite wheels are that heavy. My 17x8 wheels on my Corolla iM are around 18lbs and my TSW Rivage 17x8 wheels on my 09 Corolla S Turbo are just over 17lbs. That's why I like the 17" size more. Lower weight, less money and they can look like an 18" wheel with the right design.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,456 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts