Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new here, but I was just wondering if anyone has modded their camry. I have a 2016 xle 4cyl and I wanted to know if there’s anything cheap I can do to get a power gain. I don’t want to rice it out or do an exhaust, strictly stuff for power gain or to make it more fun, thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good maintenance.
Just had breaks replaced, an alignment, and got new tires like 4 months ago so we’ve been maintaining it great, never missed an oil change or anything, we take great care of it, just wanted a little more fun lol

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
11,227 Posts
Just had breaks replaced, an alignment, and got new tires like 4 months ago so we’ve been maintaining it great, never missed an oil change or anything, we take great care of it, just wanted a little more fun lol
Won't happen without a lot of cost. My 08 Camry may be slow and only as modified as much plug-in-play I am willing to install but I still find it peppy regardless.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi, I’m new here, but I was just wondering if anyone has modded their camry. I have a 2016 xle 4cyl and I wanted to know if there’s anything cheap I can do to get a power gain. I don’t want to rice it out or do an exhaust, strictly stuff for power gain or to make it more fun, thanks!
there's nothing u can do to an NA car to gain power, header would give u some noticeable low end torque and throttle respond but nobody make them for camry. basically after market parts company don't invest in making bolt on parts for camry, they usually make parts for corolla, yaris, celica,matrixx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there's nothing u can do to an NA car to gain power, header would give u some noticeable low end torque and throttle respond but nobody make them for camry. basically after market parts company don't invest in making bolt on parts for camry, they usually make parts for corolla, yaris, celica,matrixx.
Alright, thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheap.....NO

Trade for a V6
Lmao, would love to trade for a v6 but unfortunately I’m buying the car from my grandpa for a pretty great price and if I were to get a v6 from somewhere else it would be wayyyy more and way over budget. The v6’s are sweet though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Won't happen without a lot of cost. My 08 Camry may be slow and only as modified as much plug-in-play I am willing to install but I still find it peppy regardless.
It still is pretty peppy for what it is
It's underpowered but it's not too bad in the Camry's case. It's peppy enough to do what needs to be done.
yeah, it’s not meant to be a race car by any means but it gets the job done for my commute to school and when I’m on the highway

·
Registered
443 Posts
2.5l is a big 4-cylinder. The variable cam timing makes this engine feel bigger than it is when used in real traffic situations, but (perhaps understating here), the engine/transmission module's tuning algorithm is simply not optimized for sporting entertainment in these cars.

In other words, this car feels sprightly when used in normal driving. But it's acceleration feels conspicuously subtle when pressed.

I think that this car's crankshaft position sensor is keyed to the block and you cannot adjust it's position relative to the block without stripping the block down and doing some machining(???).
As such, the usual easiest/cheapest path to increased power output by altering (advancing) the ignition timing would not be easy to accomplish if I understand how the crankshaft position sensor system is installed in these cars.
On some cars the pertinent position sensor reads off the camshaft, which is more accessible, but altering the cam timing to effect an ignition timing advance increase would also cause advanced cam timing, which would favor low-rpm power at the expense of high-rpm power.
It might also be possible to make a sensor with offset, which would be a cool bolt-on that might allow one to alter their ignition timing a bit for better fuel mileage and increased torque if an appropriate grade of fuel were used.

Best bet is to enjoy the Camry 2.5L just as your grandfather did(!), after all he wasn't born yesterday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2.5l is a big 4-cylinder. The variable cam timing makes this engine feel bigger than it is when used in real traffic situations, but (perhaps understating here), the engine/transmission module's tuning algorithm is simply not optimized for sporting entertainment in these cars.

In other words, this car feels sprightly when used in normal driving. But it's acceleration feels conspicuously subtle when pressed.

I think that this car's crankshaft position sensor is keyed to the block and you cannot adjust it's position relative to the block without stripping the block down and doing some machining(???).
As such, the usual easiest/cheapest path to increased power output by altering (advancing) the ignition timing would not be easy to accomplish if I understand how the crankshaft position sensor system is installed in these cars.
On some cars the pertinent position sensor reads off the camshaft, which is more accessible, but altering the cam timing to effect an ignition timing advance increase would also cause advanced cam timing, which would favor low-rpm power at the expense of high-rpm power.
It might also be possible to make a sensor with offset, which would be a cool bolt-on that might allow one to alter their ignition timing a bit for better fuel mileage and increased torque if an appropriate grade of fuel were used.

Best bet is to enjoy the Camry 2.5L just as your grandfather did(!), after all he wasn't born yesterday.
Yep, I think it is the best option too, thanks for helping!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Start with an Injen/AEM/WeaponR/KN intake

Nonstoptuning has a lighweight crank pulley

Maxbore throttlebody

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,670 Posts
Intake really does not help increase power, you might even lose horsepower but it's very minimal, like 1-2 hp gain or loss, depending how you set it up.

All the intake does is make your engine sound louder under acceleration. The factory intake is a cold air system so it's already at its best potential unless you get a good aftermarket cold air intake system. All SRI will not give you much gain unless you get one with a box or heat shield, which will slightly improve it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts