Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
_trancemaster_
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just wondering, I want a black carpet (OEM is tan-ish theme) to go along with my interior project.
I found molded OEM carpets for 150, seems like a lot of money just for the carpet. Would it be better to spray paint the one i have or do it right the first time and buy molded carpet.
Any suggestions??

Thanks

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
dont paint it, i tried, looks weird, hard to get all the fibers the same color.

·
nub
313 Posts
i would imagine you are going to use about 50bux worth of spray paint at least because i know it takes alot to paint it all.

then the downsides are that it might fade/rub away, might miss spots, etc. and then there is the time that you will end up putting into painting/prepping it.

i'd go w/ the new one :)

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Like everyone said, just get new carpet. I got a huge roll for my back seat amp-rack project and interior recoloring project for pretty cheap, and it's hardcore stuff.

·
Man on a mission...
635 Posts
Not sure if any Gen3's came with black interiors, but perhaps buying OEM floormats. Or perhaps Costco?

·
_trancemaster_
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your replies guys.
Yeah I am talking about the exact OEM replacement carpet. There are few websites that sell those for around 100-150.
I'm not sure if you can buy plain roll carpet and put it over the OEM carpet.. I think that would be a pain to do.

I guess I'll stick with buying a new one... as soon as I save some money.

Any ides on how to put regular carpet over OEM are welcome:)

Thanks again

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
CamryMax said:

Any ides on how to put regular carpet over OEM are welcome:)

No, No, No, you take the original carpet out....:disappoin

·
_trancemaster_
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stevethecleric said:
No, No, No, you take the original carpet out....:disappoin
yeah i know that lol

Im leaning toward buying a new replacement.

I'm saying that I think someone said you could retrofit regular carpet over the molded one... altought that sounds like waste of time and money.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
ok thats good... yeah putting carpet over carpet would be really ugly.

·
02 Spectra Blue Mica
02 Celica GT
301 Posts
i would go with the 80/20 and then the cutpile.. I don't think that the vinyl would be a good chioce for carpet.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
the 80/20 is the old fashioned style. The cut-pile is the type you have right now. If you want the plushest type have them make you the carpet in truvette. Also now would be a good time to sound deaden the car if you are planning on it.

·
_trancemaster_
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tuvette wasnt one of the options, so I don't know if they make it.
About soud proofing, you talking about dynamite the floor? For better stereo? I didn't think you actually need to do that for the floor though.

Cut pile looks weird, I think my carpet is somehwere between the two... does it really makes any difference, or is it all looks?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
You can have the truvette custom ordered. I've been quoted like 275 for it. It is like the carpet in mercedes and of course corvettes. Im going to use two layers of raammat60 for my floors. It not only helps with the sound system but it also helps cancel out some of the road noise. 80/20 looks like the carpet you find in older cars.

80/20 loop

cut pile

truvette

100% nylon

Im going with truvette in dark gray or charcoal.

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
CamryMax said:
About soud proofing, you talking about dynamite the floor?
Dynamite might be overkill, I'd use Dynamat instead. You don't want to comepletely destroy your car, now do you? :lol:

Another good alternative is Fatmat, which can be found on eBay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts