Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a 500watt RMS 1ch amp, and im driving 2, 4ohm speakers, how much wattage will each speaker recieve?

and how will this be wired?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It depends on how you wire it as to how much power it will get. Is it 2 ohm stable? If it is then hook 2 wires from the positive terminal of the amp and run one to each positive of the sub. Do the same with the negative. If it isn't 2 ohm stable then you'll have to run one wire to the positive of one sub and run a wire from the negative of that sub to the positive of the other sub. Run a wire from the negative of the second sub back to the negative terminal of the amp. This will run an 8 ohm load so your power will decrease so it will more than likely be around 250 to 350 depending on the amp. If you run the subs in the 2 ohm setup and your amp isn't 2 ohm capable you will fry the amp eventually. More than likely it will be very soon as it will run much hotter than it is supposed to.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets just say 500watt RMS @4 ohms - with 2 4ohm speakers, wired which ever way provides the most power.

this is all hypothetical, i dont have any specific products in mind, just working out what i might need in the future.

What i probably would try and go with is one that is 2ohm stable and 2 2-ohm speakers. and try and figure the size amp i need from that.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats cool, but i still dont know what size amp ill need

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Lets say for example two Image Dynamics IDQ10's. They say to run them with 250w rms. If you have two IDQ10D2v2's they are dual 2 ohm subs. You can run those to a final 2 ohm load to the amp by wiring the dvc's in series. The type of amp you will need will be one that does 500wRMS @ 2ohm's. And is 2 ohm stable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dude, just make sure that the final ohmage of your speaker configuration matches the ohmage at which ur amp puts out maximum power. eg u dont want to buy a monoblock amp stable down to 2ohms and put a 4 ohm load on it. U would only be getting half the amps potential power. Just be careful u dont put a 2ohm or lower load on an amp that is only stable down to 4 0hms. (eg most 2 channel amps when bridged only r stable down to 4 ohms)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts