Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 Camry was rattling and thumping from under the car exactly one year ago. My tire dealer installed Monroe gas struts, and the rattling went away.

It has now returned. To complicate things, I have moved to another area.

My questions are: Is this dangerous? Should it be more "guaranteed" not to rattle again so soon?

I'm going on an 800-mile trip for Christmas, and I want to be safe. Safety is my primary concern, so that's what I'm worried about. It only rattles on rough roads and rides just fine on smooth roads.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Advanced Noob
2003 Highlander
1,023 Posts
i thought monroes had lifetime warrantee? im pretty sure mine do, i got them from pep boys.

either way, you should be fine. as you said it only rattles on rough roads, so 800 highway miles each way will prolly be ok. maybe when you get back, try finding out about the warrantee on the monroes, either through the tire dealer or the company.
i've had mine installed for more than a year and they are fine, even with the crappy LA roads.

good luck!

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Check your strut bolts and the top lock nut on the struts underneath your hood. I was getting rattling and thumping from one of my struts not long ago after I dropped my car on Tein springs, and I got worried, so I got out of the car to check the bolts, and on the front passenger side, they weren't tight enough, so I tightened them, and the rattle/thump went away. Its either a 14mm or 17mm socket for the 3 strut nuts, and 19mm socket for the top lock nut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts