Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Highlander awd with 3rd row. 304,000 miles. I was just doing a safety check before a long trip and found this broken spring on the driver side rear strut.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Wheel
I guess that explains the clunk my wife has been complaining about! This strut has about 40,000 miles on it, the originals went for 240,000 miles.I guess I know what I’m doing tonight!

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Was it rust that did that?
I thought Monroe are supposed to be special coated against the corrosion!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you never seize and moog sway bar links with the square head on the inside for a backup wrench! That was an easy swap, now it’s time to get the windex and armor all.
Yup, those boots didn’t last more than a year or two. That wasn’t rust that snapped that spring, they’re only 4 years old with 60k on them. It just snapped because Monroe sucks, I guess.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the other three, installed at the same time.
Automotive tire Musical instrument Gas Tints and shades Font

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Headlamp Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Artifact
And a better pic of the bad one.
Automotive tire Flash photography Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Coil spring
I think this has been broken since the springtime. It sounded like the spare tire was loose if you hit a speed bump or something similar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think if you're gonna go the whole hog with the highlander, ie drive her till 500k you should spend the money on OEM. My Gen 2 has 170k and needs new struts, not too bad, but I'm gonna get the OEMs from Toyota, why not - do you know how much a new Highlander lease is ..... :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The advantage of going aftermarket instead of OEM is that while you will have to replace them sooner, it’s less cost up front. I think I payed somewhere around $850 for that set which was a big nut for me then. Paying $1500 for OEM was out of the question.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
are those Monroe warrantied against that failure?

·
Registered
2007 Highlander Sport 4wd 3.3 V6
315 Posts
2004 Highlander awd with 3rd row. 304,000 miles. I was just doing a safety check before a long trip and found this broken spring on the driver side rear strut. View attachment 391762 I guess that explains the clunk my wife has been complaining about! This strut has about 40,000 miles on it, the originals went for 240,000 miles.I guess I know what I’m doing tonight!
How many actual years did the Monroe spring last for before it broke?

·
イリジウム
15,054 Posts
Well that sucks if it happens to you. Looks like the coating failed as that part of the spring is all rusted. Maybe a QC problem? Rusted springs will break, that's why when swapping only the struts I'm very careful not scratching the coating (like putting corrugated boards over concrete before cranking down on the Death Sticks compressors).

Monroe does carry lifetime warranty even for normal wear. But if OP is going on a road trip the next day, that can sure be a headache if not bought locally.

I say inspect them and warranty claim on the first sign of coil spring rust. Both KYB and Monroe recommend 50K mile replacement for the struts, but one would think the spring should hold up better than that (OP said 4-year 60K miles).

·
Registered
2007 Highlander Sport 4wd 3.3 V6
315 Posts
Well that sucks if it happens to you. Looks like the coating failed as that part of the spring is all rusted. Maybe a QC problem? Rusted springs will break, that's why when swapping only the struts I'm very careful not scratching the coating (like putting corrugated boards over concrete before cranking down on the Death Sticks compressors).

Monroe does carry lifetime warranty even for normal wear. But if OP is going on a road trip the next day, that can sure be a headache if not bought locally.

I say inspect them and warranty claim on the first sign of coil spring rust. Both KYB and Monroe recommend 50K mile replacement for the struts, but one would think the spring should hold up better than that (OP said 4-year 60K miles).
Well, it seems that the OP got the expected life out of the Quick Strut unit if Monroe recommends changing them out at 50k miles. The Quick Struts are much cheaper than OEM strut and spring units; so I would not expect the Quick Struts to last as long as OEM(which is about 10 years).

Now, I have a general idea that Monroe Quick Struts are good for about 4 years of use on average before needing to be changed them out.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s a good thought on the warranty. I don’t think I kept any of the receipts, but I bought them online so I bet I could look them up. I ended up putting one of the cheaper Monroe units on because that’s all they had in stock at my local store. I just drove the highlander 1,200 miles and it felt just fine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CarGuy: I would think these struts would last longer than 4 years on average. I think my problem is more of an outlier, there would be more reports on toyotanation if it was a common occurrence. Besides the broken spring, the ride quality has been pretty good.
I would probably stay away from Monroe if I were towing, though.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
All the big suspension manufacturers (KYB, Monroe, Gabriel, etc) recommend replacing shocks/sturts at 5yr/50k miles interval to maintain shortest braking and handling characteristics.

Towing, you would want a heavier spring, on rear shock for sure.

The quick struts (KYB or Monroe) won't come w/ heavy duty springs.

·
イリジウム
15,054 Posts
MacPherson struts carry structural loads. Therefore 50K tends to be where you want to replace them to keep their better handling characteristics. Shock absorbers that don't carry structural load can easily last 2x that without problems.

60K for a coil spring is early regardless. In the picture it looks pretty rusty, so it could be a problem with the protective coating from the factory. Some people like to keep even their sagged factory springs, but I would just go with new assemblies. Replace them when warranty allows for normal wear.

Yes, major manufacturers do recommend 50K replacement. I noticed Monroe re-worded theirs to "inspect" every 50K. LOL.

Monroe, KYB and Gabriel 50K recommendations:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oem, kyb, or bilstien. Koni is great too.

I did kyb on 2 of my other older cars and they’re great. Bilstien on the newer.

some Ppl like Monroe but I’ve always steered clear. I guess this thread is good reason why lol

good luck!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts