Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I finally have come up with a name for my 98 Camry I can start a build thread. So lets get started.

I purchased Monty, which is a 1998 Camry LE in green with 330,000 miles, for a whopping $700. Honestly, for how cheap I got this car it needed very little. You would figure a car that cheap would need a lot. I guess you can say it needs a lot but compared to most $700 cars not really. I mean, everything works. No leaks from the engine or trans. Heat and AC work just fine. Car runs, drives, stops, and all electrical works. Can't complain. Now obviously there are issues when I got the car. So lets dive into them.

First and foremost, car was throwing codes. Open the engine bay and you find that the A/F sensor has been changed and not plugged in. I plug it in, codes still present. I pull the A/F sensor to find that the previous owner was an idiot and replaced it with a generic 02 sensor instead. Ordered the appropriate Denso sensor and viola, no more codes. That was the first fix. Next was the ignition. It was worn out and you had to flip the key over and try to turn it several times before it would actually turn. After 15 seconds and a new ignition is installed with new key. Now it was time to deal with the smell. Oh God did it stink really bad. I think the person I bought the car from had some kind of pet as there were a few white hairs on the back seat. But that wasn't what smelled. The carpets were dark and hard. The seats have a bunch of stains. After pulling the seats, there was mold growing under the passenger seat by the vent. I pulled the carpet and was greeted with piss on both sides. Still puddling under the carpet. I straight threw that carpet out, didn't bother with it. Grabbed a matching carpet from the junk yard for cheap, cleaned the interior under the carpet with bleach, cleaned the seats with a carpet cleaner and put everything back together. It smells a million times better. I also cleaned the door cards and center console with 95% rubbing alcohol and then automotive wipes. Threw in a scent bomb for good measure. So now that is taken care of. I'm still going to get the interior detailed because I couldn't get a lot with the carpet cleaner and would rather have a professional do it. Then I started to do some modifications. But before I get to that, a list of all the problems so far.

A/F sensor needed to be replaced. Carpet needed to be replaced. Both sun visors needed to be replaced. Power locks and overhead light didn't work. Dash clock was pushed inside the dash. Half of the cluster didn't light up. The entire center console didn't light up. Arm rest/cubby wasn't attached. The lid of the cubby was held on by one screw that was the wrong screw and half way in so it slid around a lot. Headlights are super clouded. Suspension is shot. Hood needs to be repainted as it has a bunch of spots that have surface rust and the paint is gone in those areas. EGR valve is dirty.

I replaced all of the cluster and center console lights with green LED, even the shift selector. Fixed the clock so it stays in the dash. Replaced the radio with a Pioneer AVH-291BT. Installed a backup camera. Installed a subwoofer. Fixed door locks and overhead light. Overhead light replaced with LED. Replaced wheels with 18x8.5 +30 wheels. It sits so high, really need lowering springs. I bought new door speakers and haven't installed them yet. I also got a new set of headlights with side lights, waiting for them to come in. The previous owner had put the wrong lugnut on and cross threaded it tight, so I broke it off and have a replacement, just haven't done it yet.

I know what I want to do to this car. I am going to replace all the badges with the gold versions. Paint the wheels the same gold coloring. Remove the old pinstripe and replace with gold. Repaint the hood the same green. Tint the windows, not sure on percentage yet. Lower the car on new struts and lowering springs. I'd go coil overs but I would like a little comfort. Do a projector retrofit on the headlights. Install a small lip style spoiler. Replace front and rear speakers. And as of now that's really it. Honestly not a whole lot. Probably more in the future. I'm not looking for a fast car or a loud car.

This is what I was greeted with when I pulled the carpet:

Cluster and center console. Sorry for bad pic.

Quick pics of the car as it sits right now:

https://i.imgur.com/bVxadnE.jpg

Hood damage I was talking about:
https://i.imgur.com/apPCmLk.jpg

The wheels are STR 514 18x8.5 +30. I would say fitmet is pretty dang good. No rubbing at full turn. Rear has about a finger thickness between wheel and strut. I might get a thin spacer in the back just to make it even with the front, not sure yet.

Rear:
https://i.imgur.com/lVv2xmG.jpg

Front:
https://i.imgur.com/QpsLKwE.jpg

More pics and whatnot later.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Be sure that the condensate drain for the AC is not clogged or disconnected. If it is, it floods the front passenger foot well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious, where did you get your headlight assemblies from?

Pat
Amazon. Here is a link to the exact ones I ordered.

Be sure that the condensate drain for the AC is not clogged or disconnected. If it is, it floods the front passenger foot well.
Already done, thank you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No pictures but last night I installed LED bulbs in the tail lights and rear turn signals. I have a flasher module that you can adjust the speed on to get rid of the hyperflashing. And just to be a dick I made them flash slightly slower than the average flash just to bother people. It bothered my wife when we went to the store last night so much. Worth it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So previous owner at some point must have had the lug nuts put on with an air tool or something. When I replaced my wheels one of the lug nuts was on crooked and snapped the wheel stud. Not really a big deal to me. So I've had a wheel stud to put in for a while now, just been too lazy to do it. But now I have. Little bugger broke off with almost nothing left to it. Local shops around me wanted over $200 for this. Heck, some wanted over $400 for one wheel stud. It cost me $2 for the stud and about 20 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after so many miles, these speakers are blown. Got myself a nice set of Pioneer TS-600M 4 way speakers for the doors. Going to do the rears later. I'm going to have to rewire those as they currently aren't working. It's easy, just have to get around to doing it.

Anyway, these are what I picked up for the fronts:

Old speaker:

Like I said, blown

Cool thing about these Pioneers is that they come with a bracket to mount them in. No modification was needed, all 3 holes lined up just fine.

And installed:

These sound much better. Both in the highs and the lows. And after a little tuning, they pump out nice and crisp on the high and with the aid of the sub in the trunk, nice lows as well. Maybe later this week, if the weather holds, I'll do the backs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after a little while I finally went and got the rear speakers. Same brand and style as the front, just the 6x9 versions. They come with a bracket as well but I couldn't get them to work. So I had to order adapter plates and finally got them. The car now has nice audio.

They fit under the stock covers no problem. Sounds great inside.

Currently, I'm running these speakers, a Pioneer AVH-291 BT, and a small 10 inch 900 watt JBL sub.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,613 Posts
No pictures but last night I installed LED bulbs in the tail lights and rear turn signals. I have a flasher module that you can adjust the speed on to get rid of the hyperflashing. And just to be a dick I made them flash slightly slower than the average flash just to bother people. It bothered my wife when we went to the store last night so much. Worth it.
Is it slow blinking like a cutlass supreme?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate this time of year. I live in an apartment complex so in order for me to do any real work on my car I have to either go to the park (Where I install interior things) or go to the auto skills center on post. The auto skills center is first come first serve and since it's getting cold out, more people go there so it becomes harder to get a spot. So I generally don't do much during the Fall and Winter which sucks. Also, this is the time where I have to cut down on spending to save for the holidays. Since I host Thanksgiving, get some stuff sometimes on the Black Friday sales, and have to do Christmas shopping things get blah.

I'll think of SOMETHING to do though. I almost always do some small things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts