Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moon roof makes a pop or creak noise when the front of the car twists relative to the back. My dealer says there is a fix kit that puts in shims, but they don't recommend doing it, implied that there are often problems putting everything back together right.

Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My moon roof makes a pop or creak noise when the front of the car twists relative to the back. My dealer says there is a fix kit that puts in shims, but they don't recommend doing it, implied that there are often problems putting everything back together right.

Anybody know anything about this?
My 2016 Avalon Limited does the same thing. Was pretty noticeable in the beginning but after I gave up on low profile tires with our shitty roads full of potholes and replaced original 18" wheels with optional 17" and taller tires, ride became much softer and it is not popping as often as it used to be. Still looking into fixing it though.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You are lucky your moonroof has not exploded, which is a common occurrence these days on almost all brands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We bought a used certified 2016 Avalon last summer and our sunroof made a noise during test drive, but weren't sure what it was. We needed a car asap. After purchase, sunroof was making a popping/cracking noise, when turning up driveway or turning sometimes.
Dealer said not covered under Toyota Certified. I called The national 800 Toyota phone number and told them our story. We had bought like 10 Toyotas in past. Plus, I told them I heard noise before purchase and thought Certified would cover us.
Toyota ended up paying for it. They called dealer where work would be done and made sure we did not pay. Toyota paid.
I think bill would have been somewhere around $600.
Call Toyota. They know about this problem and should have had recall. Ridiculous.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
207 Posts
I remember reading about this issue a few times here, so I did a little looking using "Advanced Search". I searched by "shims", "popping" and "sunroof". Although I found a few references to the issue, I narrowed it down to only a couple of members who actually reported the issue. I suspect there were more, but I didn't look further to confirm more reports.

Kadena:
Moon roof assembly structure noise (post #5), Rattle Follow-Up (post #20 and #25), Noise above driver side when turning on incline (post #6), Moonroof/sunroof motor. (post #7) & 51,000 miles and still nothing (post #6)

EasyRider33:
Avalon Problems (post #177)

Both of them indicated that the expected cost is near $2,000, so jerbo64's estimate of $600 seems like a bargain.

Although I couldn't find a TSB published on the NHTSA site for this issue with regard to the Avalon, I did find one for the Camry here. I'm guessing there is a TSB there,... I just didn't find it.

I don't personally have the issue, knock on wood, and I hope I don't get it. I'm out of warranty and can't see putting 2K out for Toyota to fix it if it were to happen to me. I'd probably tackle it myself if it did happen to me and if it annoyed me enough (I have entirely removed the interior including the headliner once before), but I'd rather not do it again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I remember reading about this issue a few times here, so I did a little looking using "Advanced Search". I searched by "shims", "popping" and "sunroof". Although I found a few references to the issue, I narrowed it down to only a couple of members who actually reported the issue. I suspect there were more, but I didn't look further to confirm more reports.

Kadena:
Moon roof assembly structure noise (post #5), Rattle Follow-Up (post #20 and #25), Noise above driver side when turning on incline (post #6), Moonroof/sunroof motor. (post #7) & 51,000 miles and still nothing (post #6)

EasyRider33:
Avalon Problems (post #177)

Both of them indicated that the expected cost is near $2,000, so jerbo64's estimate of $600 seems like a bargain.

Although I couldn't find a TSB published on the NHTSA site for this issue with regard to the Avalon, I did find one for the Camry here. I'm guessing there is a TSB there,... I just didn't find it.

I don't personally have the issue, knock on wood, and I hope I don't get it. I'm out of warranty and can't see putting 2K out for Toyota to fix it if it were to happen to me. I'd probably tackle it myself if it did happen to me and if it annoyed me enough (I have entirely removed the interior including the headliner once before), but I'd rather not do it again!

It may have been $700. $2000 is crazy. The toyota Dealer in Runnemede, NJ quoted me this. I thought that was a lot. Glad Toyota came to the rescue. Do what I suggested. Call Toyota's 800 phone number (800-331-4331). Tell them your problem in a persuasive way. They should help. Toyota will open up a case. That is a major defect. Tell them you owned Toyota's in the past and are a loyal customer. If it works they will ask what Toyota dealer are you taking car to.
This is Jerbo64. Not sure if my Username will show up for this reply. Haven't been on here in a while.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may have been $700. $2000 is crazy. The toyota Dealer in Runnemede, NJ quoted me this. I thought that was a lot. Glad Toyota came to the rescue. Do what I suggested. Call Toyota's 800 phone number (800-331-4331). Tell them your problem in a persuasive way. They should help. Toyota will open up a case. That is a major defect. Tell them you owned Toyota's in the past and are a loyal customer. If it works they will ask what Toyota dealer are you taking car to.
This is Jerbo64. Not sure if my Username will show up for this reply. Haven't been on here in a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts