Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
why are people talking about honda and vtec in a toyota forum? honda motors are good and have potential which makes them popular, but toyota has their own motors that compete quite nicely to hondas.

toyota has the 4age (16v or 20v), 4agze, 3sgte, 2zz-ge, and the downright monster 2jz-gte.

JoeAE101, if you want more power without force induction, somebody already said it in previous posts...how much money do you want to spend? if you want to do something more sensible, then go the air filter/intake, cat-back exhaust, coil springs or coilover kits (acceleration, braking, and handling will improve) and maybe headers or retuned and remapped ECU. in terms of power, you will feel a noticeable difference, but don't expect to street race tho.

now, if thats still not enough for you, then go for more aggressive cams - rebuilt motor - or motor swap!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Don't get me wrong people I do like hondas' I just took it for an example.... And thanks for the english lesson whoever it was(VTECH-VTEC) small mistake. Anyways its not bad asking for help, I did search but I was left with some questions. JEEZ:disappoin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
the 4age engine is actually slower than a 4afe. Yes, you have a 170hp from a silvertop but when you step on the gas it dosen't show. On the other hand the 4afe and 7afe dont have the horsepower but have the acceleration the 4age dosent have. The 4afe engine has the heart shaped top piston that was designed for low end high torque but with the sacrifice of hp (if you dont belive me check it out at youtube.com on 4AFE VS 4AGE or research about it) . I had a short ram CAI that sounded and worked great for like 3months. On the 4th month at cold start the car started but suddenly choked and turned off. What the hek happened there?? anybody knows????:confused:

-See I do resarch a little so get off my case people :lol:-

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
The 4afe engine has the heart shaped top piston that was designed for low end high torque but with the sacrifice of hp
Theres no heart shape on a 4A-FE piston...

I think you should study a bit more, some of the claims that the engine has less power but more acceleration doesnt exactly match.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Maybe some of you guys are using larger diameter wheels/tires? The larger the wheel/Tire the more horsepower/Torque it takes to accelerate. If you want higher speeds go with larger diameter.. if you want faster acceleration drop the wheel size...

this is a generel rule for cars with low to mid horsepower.... beyond that...

Of course if you have an outrageous amount of Horspower, than it really won't matter much on the street, as that many horses will pull like hell with any wheel size.. and then you want large wheels/tires for grip and bite..

:hammer:

·
Chitty Chitty Vroom Vroom
1986 AE82
253 Posts

I think you should study a bit more, some of the claims that the engine has less power but more acceleration doesnt exactly match.

makes potential sense to me. the one could have greater horsepower, but it doesn't reach that power until it revs to a higher point. the other has less overall power, but it has more power available in the lower end of the powerband than the first.
I'm not sure if it's actually true with the said engines, but I see the point they were trying to make

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I dunno.. my engine doesnt accelerate on its own, it stays still. :lol:
4A-GE would rev faster than a 4A-FE. All things equal, 4A-FE doesnt suck, but as stock its got limitations.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The 4afe piston is round like any other, what I meant is that the top of the pistons there is an heart like shape cavity.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts

Actually I think there is some validity to the statement of less horsepower having the feel of more accelleration.
Very often peak HP gain is achieved at a sacrifice of low end torque.
A fat low end to mid range torque curve makes a daily driver feel much more responsive (feel faster at low speeds) than a car with a high HP and low torque.
You can experience this very easily by swapping from a 4-1 headder to a 4-2-1 on most engines, or going from a large bore T/B to a smaller bore.

Hence the advent of TSIV, VTEC and VVTI, to try and capture both bottom end torque and high end HP.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Actually yes and no...
Your overall power will be lower, vtec etc just make drivability better at low RPM, versus having one big camshaft and shitty low end.
Anyways a 4A-F/FE wont rev faster than a 4A-GE and no your car wont accelerate faster with a 4A-FE...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hey, Flashman you should check out the video I told you guys about. Maybe theres something Im not seeing:lol:. Also look for XRS vs MR2 with 4AGE:smokin:.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Lol, I really dont need a video to show me 4A-FE internals as I've disassembled quite alot of them.
And as for XRS vs 4A-GE mr2, what about it? saw the vid, the Mr2 driver doesnt know how to drive. Not to mention a 4A-GE 20V puts out 130hp and doesnt really upstand with torque vs the 2ZZ-GE which is alot superior.

Again theres quite a difference between the 1st gen and 2nd gen 4A-FE's..

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla
182 Posts
definately a cold air intake, cheap and easy to install, you'll notice more power right away. look on ebay, they have tons of choices but mostly just for vvti and corolla s, but they have others too

41 - 59 of 59 Posts