Toyota Nation Forum banner

More HP

7K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  dipset2377 
#1 ·
Anybody know how can I squeez a few horses on a 4afe without the help turbo or supercharger (In other words N/A.):confused:

#4 ·
We need a Corolla FAQ

something like this:

'The 1989-2000 Corolla has a lawnmower engine: Get over it'

adjust the year is you feel your Corolla is a rocket...
:lol:

Just to not let people down too hard when they think they can get this 4 cylinder putt-putt engine to run like a Blown Hemi

It is what it has, a very good reliable economy car engine... For that we are happy :cool:

#8 ·
I love it how people just give a whole list of mods they probably read from import tuner.When those mods wont actually make your car be significantly more powerful.

I'd drive it stock.
resident asshole suits you perfectly Flashmn. all they wanted to know is what can they do to get more power. all these mods produce more power, any 1 of them by itself is not much ( except for nitrous), but together they would provide a noticable boost in response and top speed.

#11 · (Edited)
my understanding of n/a means naturally aspirated, where the engine draws in the air by itself, not forced induction, which would mean compressing the incoming air. how could nitrous possibly compress the incoming air? and what fuel cut are you referring to? i've had my 95 corolla up to almost 135mph with just a short ram intake, and i didn't hit any sort of fuel cut/top speed limiter. and if your referring to the computer only allowing so much fuel in, you must have missed the part about the SAFC-II.

also, the only reason i mentioned flash was because he tried to make it sound like i'm a noob at this (got it out of a magazine), when i've been building engines for almost 14 years (with great success), and he doesn't even know who i am.

#12 ·
Intake, header and exhaust.. WOW! a whopping 5hp gain! :wowza: that should put that 4AFE from mid 16s quarter mile to low 16s quarter mile! :lol:

Seriously, unless you're spending some serious cash for pistons, cams, and "insert your favorite internals mod here" you're not going to get any more than 2-5hp gains. :disappoin

#13 ·
also, the only reason i mentioned flash was because he tried to make it sound like i'm a noob at this (got it out of a magazine), when i've been building engines for almost 14 years (with great success), and he doesn't even know who i am.
Lol, you just got butthurt over a general statement that wasnt directed towards anyone, then you continued to slander me in a private message, .. wow.. you totally earn my respect...well I answered to your message with equal warmth and friendliness. True, I dont even know who you are, should I, do I even want to? Hell, I dont even live in that side of the atlantic ocean.

You're going to spend a shitload of money for few hp... great.

Since you're an engine builder for 14 years, you should know N2O is considered chemical supercharging, you get more oxygen from the breaking of the N2O molecule. Its a gray area, but thats how it goes.

I plan to beat Flash someday.
Get in line buddy. I dont think I've been very hostile towards you, i think I actually helped you few times. Remember that fueling problem... thanks for nothing.

#14 ·
If you did want to spend al this money into a Corolla, to get more horsepower... I was kinda curious...

there is a section on this website for pictures,, there is a picture of Someone's Corolla with headers and 4 Sidedraft Webers (I think they are Webers). it is a BlackTop Engine. But it doe snot say what country this guy is in.

I wondered how much horsepower his engine puts out.

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8281/cat/517

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8282/cat/517

I guess someone could page him and ask. I personally could not see spending much on an old Corolla, as you get get some sports car for the same money you are investing...

Also, being in an area with strict smog laws and inspections, that's another large hurdle to get over. Not to mention living in an area with to much traffic and speed limit laws heavily enforced. But it is nice to have power when you want it. :cool: And Gas is going ot be $5.00 a gallon here soon. :disappoin

#15 ·
I've played with bike carbs, I've played with weber sidedrafts and other carbs. I'm playing around with fuel injection now. I wouldnt bother with carbs anymore now that programmable efi is cheap.

I guess someone could page him and ask. I personally could not see spending much on an old Corolla, as you get get some sports car for the same money you are investing...
I spent 6-7k on my corolla all in all :ugh3:

#28 ·
First of all you people fight a little too much about a simple question. Second the newbie thing is*bs* :hammer:(I have to agree with -feliks-:naughty:). My car has a 4afe on a auto tranny so what? I was asking how can I get a little more Humph on the car. Anyways some of the searches about this same matter are overdated. Third I've seen some mean (few) 4afe with the help of some mods; so what if it's a 1.6l DOHC. Civics are 1.6l some with vtech becuase without it it's crap. I dont know why people prefer civics:confused: Maybe becuase their performance parts are cheap:lol:. But then again who cares???????

-4afe and I am proud- ps. still proud of my lawnmower engine....

#35 ·
Hahahahaha...man...i love TN...and wth does dat dood noe bout honda...bashing it not knowing wat they are there for...oh and dont forget about the Sohc Vtec-E motors in them Vx's...talk bout great for fuel eficiency...or u can change the small 1.5 in. throttle body and it could be a pretty mean machine...=P haha...but seriously joe plz dont bash on the sohc honda motors...they have more potential then u think...trust me unless u noe from experience and compare there are differences...there are sohc proven motors out there ppl beware...:)

PS:GO D16z6!!!

#39 ·
No, heres what I meant. A smaller TB will let less air in with small gas pedal movement than a big TB, you get a more refined throttle control and better throttle response as in gaspedal movement. A big TB will let in more air, thus you're getting "too much" air in at a smaller throttle movement, hence you have shitty throttle control and the engine will stumble in low rpm with small throttle opening.

Cars really go by laws of physics, alot of people "experience" 50hp increase with a C-A-I, whilst the truth is something else.

Ofcourse at high RPM and wide open throttle a bigger TB would be fine, but really street cars and race cars arent really comparable and most of street driving isnt done at WOT, unless you're a ricer :lol:. I'd rather have better throttle control at low-mid rpm than just at high rpm.

#41 ·
why are people talking about honda and vtec in a toyota forum? honda motors are good and have potential which makes them popular, but toyota has their own motors that compete quite nicely to hondas.

toyota has the 4age (16v or 20v), 4agze, 3sgte, 2zz-ge, and the downright monster 2jz-gte.

JoeAE101, if you want more power without force induction, somebody already said it in previous posts...how much money do you want to spend? if you want to do something more sensible, then go the air filter/intake, cat-back exhaust, coil springs or coilover kits (acceleration, braking, and handling will improve) and maybe headers or retuned and remapped ECU. in terms of power, you will feel a noticeable difference, but don't expect to street race tho.

now, if thats still not enough for you, then go for more aggressive cams - rebuilt motor - or motor swap!

#42 ·
Don't get me wrong people I do like hondas' I just took it for an example.... And thanks for the english lesson whoever it was(VTECH-VTEC) small mistake. Anyways its not bad asking for help, I did search but I was left with some questions. JEEZ:disappoin

#44 ·
the 4age engine is actually slower than a 4afe. Yes, you have a 170hp from a silvertop but when you step on the gas it dosen't show. On the other hand the 4afe and 7afe dont have the horsepower but have the acceleration the 4age dosent have. The 4afe engine has the heart shaped top piston that was designed for low end high torque but with the sacrifice of hp (if you dont belive me check it out at youtube.com on 4AFE VS 4AGE or research about it) . I had a short ram CAI that sounded and worked great for like 3months. On the 4th month at cold start the car started but suddenly choked and turned off. What the hek happened there?? anybody knows????:confused:

-See I do resarch a little so get off my case people :lol:-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.