Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Camry 4cyl with about 170k miles. My mechanic tells me the front motor mount and dogbone mounts are collapsed. I looked at the dogbone, and it is all there, but with a tear (all the way through) in the rubber. I plan to have that replaced.

The front motor mount was replaced about 87k miles ago, in 2001. I looked at this, and it seems to be in good condition (though I tore the outer rubber drape. the rubber disk under and inside the outer rubber drape feels nice, looks nice, and I don't see any obvious damage. However, I don't know what damage would look like for a collapsed front mount. The mechanic's front desk (I asked to talk to the mechanic) tells me that 'collapsed' means that the disk can be moved. I cannot move it by hand.

I revved the motor in gear, and the motor front end rocks up in a smooth motion, and when released comes down in a smooth motion, with no clunking. The motion is the same as one I found on youtube, and would be diagnosed as having a problem with the motor mount. Which motor mount?

Would just the dogbone cause the excessive motion? How do you determine which mount?

Thanks, Ted

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
I usually have 1 other person help me on diagnostics. Put the car in drive or reverse and hold the break and push the gas. Watch Where the motor has excessive motion. Since your Dogbone is ripped all the way through, its more than likely going to move a lot anyways. I would replace that dogbone first and then try the brake diagnostic. Most of the time if your mounts are really bad, then under acceleration your motor will twist so much that you will hear your axles start to slap a little. This is hard on your differential bearings and worth fixing. Since you've replaced the front motor mount, I really dont see how it could go bad in 87,000 miles. I have a 96 camry with 161,000 miles and the only mount I've changed is the dog-bone mount.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota camry
39 Posts
Theres a DIY mod of using 3M's window weld to help strenghten the dogbone mount as i did, helped a bit saved me a few bucks rather than buying new for the time being of course. Not sure about the front mount, i will be trying in the very near future! Hope it helps you out for abit.
Travis

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
front motor mounts are really simple to change out. Just make sure you dont loose the keyway that locks it in place . lol. I did that before and it took me a long time to figure out why the bolt just kept spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning..............

hehe. Easy to change though, just need a jack and about 10 minutes. Maybe a blue wrench if you cant break the bolts that connect to the subframe apart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts