Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post so pardon my unfamiliarity with the forum. I've got a 1991 camry all-trac with a 5speed manual. To me it feels like there's a lot of potential there. I've noticed a handful of similarities between the 3s-fe and the 3s-gte so... what's stopping me from pulling a "junkyard turbo ls" type of deal and gapping my piston rings, throw on some stiffer valve springs (do they even make aftermarket cams for these old economy engines?), and bolting on the 3s-gte turbo and either find a tuner or learn how to do an ok job myself? found ARP main studs for the motor which is a great start, but no headstuds.. I read that the 3s-gte headgasket is a good choice for the 3s-fe so I wonder if 3s-gte headstuds are also able to be used on my 3s-fe.. Also saw that 3s-gte con rods can be swapped over so I'll keep that in mind if I really tear into the motor.. For good aftermarket parts where do you guys turn to? My first guess is summit racing but I was wondering if you more experienced Toyota guys have a shop you'd recommend..

I know the 3s-gte is the obvious answer to my questions but I've seen no parts cars around me to take parts from and I'm not too keen on shipping a $3,500+shipping used 3s-gte out of the states off ebay..

Ok I think that's my spiel.. Thanks!

·
Toyota Collector
12,161 Posts
Do a search there a bunch of threads on the subject a few to get you started.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
A turbo 3s-fe is very easy with a gte exhaust manifold (from a 'second gen' 3s-gte), turbo and some custom intake and exhaust work. Then you have to figure out fuel/tuning. No need to strengthen the engine in any way unless you are really pushing it. You could easily double the wheel horsepower reliable with a good tune and an unopened motor (assuming it is still in good shape).

I've personally done a NA bolt-ons 3s-fe, turbo 3s-fe, BEAMS 3s-ge and a 3s-gte. All are good in their own way. Though, it is hard to get parts for any of them now...

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A turbo 3s-fe is very easy with a gte exhaust manifold (from a 'second gen' 3s-gte), turbo and some custom intake and exhaust work. Then you have to figure out fuel/tuning. No need to strengthen the engine in any way unless you are really pushing it. You could easily double the wheel horsepower reliable with a good tune and an unopened motor (assuming it is still in good shape).

I've personally done a NA bolt-ons 3s-fe, turbo 3s-fe, BEAMS 3s-ge and a 3s-gte. All are good in their own way. Though, it is hard to get parts for any of them now...

-Charlie
Ooooooo ok i guess now i gotta look into how to do a decent tune

Great read:
Awesome thank you I'll be sure to check it out

Do a search there a bunch of threads on the subject a few to get you started.

Awesome, thanks man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts