Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to one of my buddies the other day about getting some more power from my rolla when he suggested i swap in new fuel injectors (he drives a civic and tends to rip parts out of whatever honda he can get his hands on, and tries to build pure frankenstien style shit lol). Anyways, he said there was noticable gains when he installed prelude injectors on his civic, and i was wondering if it was possible to do the same with the 4A-GE, and if so, any suggestions for a good donor car?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
i was talking to one of my buddies the other day about getting some more power from my rolla when he suggested i swap in new fuel injectors
Injectors by themselves dont give you more power, just make your engine run alot richer = is bad. You want more power... add a turbocharger :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, if i could afford to turbocharge it, i would! Besides i think i'd rather go n/a. Any suggestions other then cams, headers, flywheel etc.?

·
nice guy
191 Posts
go with headers and intake....then get new cams. but be sure to time it after you put in your cams.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new clutch went in today cuz mine was shot lol
for headers i've only heard of 2 companies:pacesetter and kbd, any opinions on that?
not too sure who to go for to get the intake...
and as for the cams, unfortunately i'm pretty limited with knowledge about cars so... looks like i'm going to my mechanic for that one haha

·
Proud Ae86 owner.
86 and RHD EF CIVIC
0 Posts
i buy pacesteer for my isuzu, they sucked balls

poor quality didnt fit right has to grind em and make a new gasket

·
I do NOT exist ...
167 Posts
i second the motion to think twice before trying Pacesetter for anything. they are really god-awful ...

i'd suggest buying a book by Pat Braden, i think it's entitled How to Build Your Toyota or something ... not sure on the title, but i know the author is Pat Braden. get it. i have it at home and it does discuss some things you can do to modify the OEM fuel injection systems and also swap parts between models.

my advice would be to do a complete exhaust (with a header) first though.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
i have the KBD.... they're built well..... except the chrome can't withstand the heat.... and if you don't use spring exhaust bolts on the ball & socket joint, then you will blow the header - to - downpipe gasket like i always do... i've gone through 4

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would it make any difference with the heat problem if they were ceramic coated or not?

any other companies that make 4age headers out there?

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
whoa man, didn't know Pacesetter had a bad rep around here, they worked perfect for my bro's 4AGE, and my other bro's 22R-E. But those were some time back, have they changed for the worst:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
noddygts said:
lol, if i could afford to turbocharge it, i would! Besides i think i'd rather go n/a. Any suggestions other then cams, headers, flywheel etc.?

hi maybe you can try nitrous oxide system? cheapest way to gain extra ponies.

i've got a nos wet kit. selling coz goin to change to mpv.
if you're interested? can email to [email protected]

cheers

·
nice guy
191 Posts
oh thats perfect. put nitrous on a drifter.....your the smart guy:thumbdown :disappoin

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
noddygts said:
would it make any difference with the heat problem if they were ceramic coated or not?

any other companies that make 4age headers out there?

noddygts.... try www.tedcomponents.com. this guy Richard makes a lot of custom stuff at reasonable prices and he's located somewhere in Pickering/Ajax area. he's doing custom intake and headers and also a lot of engine internals. i've personally dealt with him before, he knows his stuff, he's been building 4AG race spec motors for a while now.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Foolish86 said:
oh thats perfect. put nitrous on a drifter.....your the smart guy:thumbdown :disappoin
The guy was just making a suggestion and noddygts never said he was planning to drift the thing. Just because it's an AE doen't mean it automatically is a drifter:rolleyes: The AE92 is FWD:thumbup:

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
ah, the ae92, same fun to drive 4AGE as ae86, and not way overpriced because of popularity.:thumbup: My bro got his ae92 gt-s for only $1200, perfect working condition.

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
Check out the site www.club4ag.com they have a wicked forum for just those motors.

As for performance parts check out www.todaracing.com they make alot of 4ag parts.

My suggestion would be to find your self and older "blue top" 4age motor. Then I would use the blue top head on your car.
I would also use the existing injectors and fuel rail because of the flow and fitting. This would give you bigger intake ports and slightly bigger cams.

If you want more info on the "blue top" "red top" stuff check out www.club4ag.com or just pm me.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
bluetop and redtop don't mean much...... redtops were actually from around 88-91.... however, in 90-91 the entire head and block were redesigned, and the loss of t-vis..... best way to refer to the generations is bigport and smallport (bigport being until 89... smallport 90-91)

hachi.... the 89 has a bigport.... so, what your thinking would be for him to find a 90-91 smallport and swap blocks (i'm assuming you're thinking of a bigport head on a high comp smallport block)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, turns out this guy i know said he could turbocharge my car for fairly cheap as long as i give him the car for a few months. He's fairly experienced with turboing hondas, but unsure with toyotas. I'm curious about general pricing so i don't end up getting screwed. Also, wondering how much boost i can run with stock internals. Thanks, any other advise will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
for a quick and dirty setup... i was planning for around $500 on my mr2 to turbo it..... use a pressure switch to run the cold start injector for extra fuel.... use a 14b turbo (easily obtainable for $100), there was a kit on ebay for a manifold for $120.... and then run the afm in front of the turbo.... have exhaust shop buddies do a quick/dirty exhaust... and piping for an i/c to the trunk....

i was later planning on running a MS ecu setup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts