Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ealier this week I finished rebuilding my starter, new contact and plunger. Prior to putting it in the truck i had it tested and it tested good. After putting it in I had no issues for two days and then on thursday the click was back and it refused to turn over but after like 12 ley turns it fired up. Same thing happened again on friday this time twice. So saturday i took the truck to my local parts store to have the electric system tested. Battery came back good 786 CCA out of 710 CCA with 12.7 volts, Starter tested good at 11.89 volts, and alternator tested good at 14.13 volts no load and 14.06 volts under load. The store manager said that it might be the starter but he feels that it is the ignition switch. Also when I noticed after i put the starter back in i no longer had functioning rear speakers, don't know if this is connected but i want to include everything. I am unsure if the starter is OEM or an aftermarket replacement but i can tell you that it had no marks, stamps, or numbers anywhere located on it. When i was rebuilding the starter I check and the brushes and they looked good everything but the contact and plunger looked good in fact. Any help on where i should go from here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,847 Posts
So ealier this week I finished rebuilding my starter, new contact and plunger. Prior to putting it in the truck i had it tested and it tested good. After putting it in I had no issues for two days and then on thursday the click was back and it refused to turn over but after like 12 ley turns it fired up. Same thing happened again on friday this time twice. So saturday i took the truck to my local parts store to have the electric system tested. Battery came back good 786 CCA out of 710 CCA with 12.7 volts, Starter tested good at 11.89 volts, and alternator tested good at 14.13 volts no load and 14.06 volts under load. The store manager said that it might be the starter but he feels that it is the ignition switch. Also when I noticed after i put the starter back in i no longer had functioning rear speakers, don't know if this is connected but i want to include everything. I am unsure if the starter is OEM or an aftermarket replacement but i can tell you that it had no marks, stamps, or numbers anywhere located on it. When i was rebuilding the starter I check and the brushes and they looked good everything but the contact and plunger looked good in fact. Any help on where i should go from here would be greatly appreciated.
Do have have an extra key you can try? Also double check the all the grounds.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,604 Posts
Another area to check is the starter relay. It may be buried up under the dash. BTW, do you have an alarm system installed? The connectors to the wiring harness may be suspect if you do have one that's tapped into the starter circuit. ;)

The dealership should be able to cut you a new master key just from yer VIN fer about $10 if you haven't replaced the original key cylinder yet. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to try to replace my start/ignition switch couple mechanic friends think it might be that and well its the cheapest part. I was reading my repair manual and it is telling me that I am going to have to take the entire drivers side dash as well as the steering wheel off to get to it. Has anyone changed one before and know of an easier way or know where i can see a step by step write up or video, i haven't been able to find one. If not that's
fine and ill just follow me repair manual.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,847 Posts
I am going to try to replace my start/ignition switch couple mechanic friends think it might be that and well its the cheapest part. I was reading my repair manual and it is telling me that I am going to have to take the entire drivers side dash as well as the steering wheel off to get to it. Has anyone changed one before and know of an easier way or know where i can see a step by step write up or video, i haven't been able to find one. If not that's
fine and ill just follow me repair manual.
This may help especially if your talking about just changing out the tmbler assembly with a new one and key.

Unless you have a factory manual the Haynes and Chiltons have a lot to be desired.
I Know this is for a 1995 Toyota pick-up but I'm sure our T100's are very simular.
Take some pics and help us all out:smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts