1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Camry Freak
1,093 Posts
The map is outdated. Starting this year, Wisconsin now charges double for hybrids and even more for electric-only vehicles.

Our base registration fee in the state is $75. It's $150 for hybrids and $175 for EVs. Certain municipalities also charge additional fees on top of state fees. Some counties charge additional fees and sometimes cities add fees on top of the state and county fees. My fee in Milwaukee for my 2007 Camry Hybrid is $210.

What I find annoying is that although I love my hybrid, the actual MPG that my Camry gets after 12 years is roughly 32-25mpg. A brand new Camry gets 32mpg city/hwy combined- meaning that a new Camry likely uses about the same amount of fuel as my older Camry Hybrid- yet my hybrid pays the extra fee and the new Camry doesn't. Civics and Corollas get way better mileage- and neither has to pay the fee.

I actually don't mind paying the fees- I just don't like how our last governor/state legislature combo decided to use hybrid and EV owners as scapegoats to try to cover the huge budget hole that they created themselves after they spent eight years underfunding the department of transportation... then got upset when the public started complaining about the conditions of the roads- only to throw up their hands- saying "well, we're out of money. Let's blame it on hybrid and EV owners who don't pay enough in fuel taxes". While I agree that pure EVs should likely pay additional fees as they don't pay any taxes on fuel at the pump- hybrid owners are sort-of getting hung out to dry. I remember buying my hybrid back in 2007. Both the state and the federal government encouraged people to buy hybrids because they'd save you money... and now they are punishing people for driving cars that are hybrids. Lots of cars get better gas mileage than some of the hybrids on the market. I'd rather the state go to a fee based on the miles that you drive rather than a standard fee per car. I put less than 7,000 miles on one of my cars. I pay just as much in fees as my sister who puts nearly 30,000 miles per year on her car due to her job.

Our registration fees overall in the state are quite reasonable and I actually like the idea of the fees that some counties and cities use. Rather than charging property owners for the cost of road construction, property owners often pay nothing and instead all vehicles registered in the city/county pay the special fee which covers the cost of that road construction. Instead of paying $7000-8000 in road construction fees when they repave a street in front of my house, I pay $30 extra each year on each car that I register in the city. I'd rather pay that $30/year per car than get sacked with a huge bill every 15-20 years for road construction. When my street was repaved in 2013, the only cost I had to pay was $900 because I asked the city to install a new concrete driveway approach. If I would have declined that offer, they would have kept the old approach and adjusted the approach angle to fit the new level of the pavement after the construction was done. Considering that the old approach was from the 1980s and cracked in several places, I figured $900 for a 2.5 car width approach was dirt-cheap.

I feel bad for the poor suckers who bought hybrids of the Chevy Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade. Depending on their weight, the state charges them even more.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Virginia stop charging gas tax, so my last 51.9 MPG tank worked out to a tad over 4 cents a mile on my Echo. That doesn't include the discount for using the Costco credit card, with that less than 4 cents a mile. Insurance is less than $15 a month for 1500 miles.
It does seem stupid since you pay taxes on the electricity already so in Va the electricity cost more due to a tax while the gas is free of state taxes.
Never met a single person in my life who can name every tax they pay. Close to a 100 different taxes, just stupid and we get to work for free figuring them out. What was it they call forced labor without compensation?

·
2,631 Posts
Driving is a privilege... gas taxes pay for the roads you drive on (or that's how it is supposed to work). No gas, no contribution to the roads. I'm OK with additional fees on HY/EVs.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
I don't think Trump wants that since he's trying to roll back EPA regs that were done by Obama...
What I meant was the gross pollution that comes from producing electric and hybrid-electric vehicles. The pollution tail that comes from mining the metals, most especially rare earth metals, plus the fossil fuel electricity to produce the parts, etc., etc., makes "clean" and "green" vehicles just as bad if not more so to produced than conventional vehicles running on gasoline. Green energy is a gigantic circle jerk.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Sooo... as soon they will come up with flying cars... how those will be taxed? Well, maybe not cars, but qaudricopter type things, already flying... no road damage...
Once the federal and state governments finish regulating the caca out of them, they'll end up being five times more expensive that flying in a conventional helicopter. But not to worry, no doubt Democrats and their Republican sycophants will want to subsidize that industry too with more free money. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts