Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some 5100s, but haven't received them yet. Now I'm having second thoughts after reading the ridiculously long thread on 5100s. I didn't read the whole thing, but enough to make me feel like I have a good understanding of the pros and cons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main pro, that they are an easy and cheap way to get some lift to the front, comes with the con that you're compressing the spring and consequently reducing the plushness of the front end. Is that right?? The one thing I realized is that it's helpful for me to think of this method of lifting not necessarily as a lift, but as a way to stiffen the springs so you have less static suspension sag. In other words, they don't raise the front end, they simply prevent the front end from sagging as much as it does in stock form. The downside to this is that you have stiffer springs. I guess this is how all lifts work outside of spacers and spindles?

I feel like I don't want stiffer springs, I just want better suspension performance. I want to be able to soak up big bumps and i want the shocks to compress and rebound better than the stock bilsteins.

So, if lifting is not my primary objective, but improving the performance of the TRD off road suspension is, what's my best bet???

1. Coilovers with minimal lift?
2. 5100s on the lowest setting? this won't give me any more travel than stock, right?
3. OME shocks and coils?

Will any of these really give me any additional travel above and beyond stock TRD off road??? Thanks and I apologize for bringing up this topic that's been beaten like a dead horse. Maybe i'm dumb. Hey at least I DO understand how to get more travel out of the back..an aftermarket leaf pack and some longer shocks are the ticket i'll go with..

Thanks,

·
Registered
984 Posts
Coilovers with minimal lift will be the best as far as ride and travel are concerned. The OME setup has a bad tendency to clunk on the down travel because the shocks are under dampened. If you hvae the money, get coilovers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.. that's what i figured... and feared.

come on, there's no cheap and easy bolt on way to get a few more inches of travel? :lol:

so if i go with some icons, for example, and don't compress the coil at all, i don't even need after market ucas, right? or will the after market ucas help me with travel? it seems most of the discussion around the various aftermarket ucas has to do with the fact that they help alleviate alignment issues caused by some lifts.

thanks

·
Just pin it, Ya' fairy!
08 tacoma
123 Posts
total chaos and camburg uca's will also give you more travel because the bushing won't bind up as quickly when cycling through the down travel, so some extended travel icons and either camburgs new uca or the new total chaos heim joint uca would be your best bet.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks dudes

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was looking for something similar to what you want. I went with King Shocks 2.5" setup on all four corners and it's a whole new truck! My coilovers are cranked down with 0 thread showing and my truck sits level with the stock leaf springs. It's a whole new truck on and off road! Very plush and controlled. I'm able to run through stuff that would have the stock Off Road Bilsteins pogoing all over the place. I'm very happy with it but it does have a steep price! I think you'd be stoked on any of the available 2.5" coilovers and a good rear shock if they were in your budget. Just making sure you have a good shock will do more for your truck than trying to squeeze out a little travel over your stock setup.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That King setup sounds nice.

Wondering about the toytev coilover kit for the 5100s. Can someone who is running that setup chime in on the ride quality versus stock coils??

Thanks

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
its better than stock, a little harsh on the street but has preformed well off road. i have mine cranked up to accommodate the added weight of the bumper but i would buy them again, if you were going to leave them a little lower the ride would be really nice but the way mine is set up is still better than the stock shocks and coils with a spacer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts