Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all! My first time on the forum as I am recent inductee into the Hall of Toyota. I have a story to share with all of you that I think you'll find interesting..

Mother's Day: I jump in the car and I'm happily headed to Victoria's Secret to get my lovely wife some matching bra and panties (their push-ups are super comfy!), when I noticed my Highlander shuddering a bit at the stoplight. I look down and the check engine light is on and flashing. I'm thinking what the hell is going on? Did I leave the gas cap off or something? I park and look under the hood and the first thing staring me in the face is this:

And then I knew immediately what happened. For 6 years now, I've looked the other way when it comes to the White-throated Wood Rats that I've so graciously harbored on my desert property. They stayed over there eating cactus and whatever they do. I stayed inside thinking about all kinds of cool projects, but never actually doing them. We got along. But after I discovered cactus, urine, and droppings in the intake runners of my Xterra I have sitting around waiting on a new engine, I decided it might be time to establish some boundaries. All of the 4 of the rats that were nesting in that truck have "mysteriously vanished" overnight. One can only assume they have gone on to inhabit the engine bay of God's truck.

I head home and further inspection revealed they had quite a time constructing a nest on top of the engine:

Where they got the fluffy stuff is beyond me. There's nothing like that on a Highlander right?

And then I saw this:

Two ends of wire with nothing to connect them. The gap between them 4 inches long which is suspiciously similar to the piece of wire I found earlier.

Guess what that is? That is a whole bunch of nothing where the wire to my fuel injector on cylinder number 6 is supposed to be. I guess I drove to the underwear emporium on 5 cylinders! What a loving and dedicated husband I must be!

Disassembly of the connector reveals some pinned wires along with a little gasket for weatherproofing it would seem:

Where am I going to find such wires? I'd like to keep the wires the same color to satisfy my crazy OCD brain. And I wonder if I could use the same gray electrical tape and wire loom so it looks like the furry fiends were never there. I don't want any evidence of this blemish they've left on the poor vehicle. And although they may be in rodent heaven, frolicking among endless wiring harnesses, and building warm nests on St. Peter's 4Runner, I want them to remember one thing: Nobody messes with my Toyota!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Toyota, GM and several other manufacturers have been using a soy based wire coating instead of plastic. Unfortunately mice really like it.

All you have to do is match the wire size and material (copper or aluminum). Should be able to find the wire and color at almost any hardware store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You didn't state the year or engine; but Rock Auto has fuel injector connectors: More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS S2328
You should be able to find the wire loom and good quality connectors on Amazon or a local electric supply store.
The fluffy stuff is likely insulation. Before you do anything else, I suggest a through investigation as to what other damage the critters caused.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@MikeInNH Yes I thought about soldering some new wire on. But I'm worried there isn't enough wire remaining on the pins. Less than a centimeter. I was wondering if I could buy new wires with the pins already crimped on. Turns out that you can...from the stealer...for $50...

@Bobbles That insulation is not found on the car right? It has to be from something else. I can't find anything like that on the highlander. I have done a pretty good investigation of the underside and just found some more fluffy stuff tucked into the body mount. Yes I can get a new connector. But then I have different color wires. And they all look so good and neatly color coded to each injector!

@sdspeed You are free to private message me, but I expect heavy compensation! You got a Land Cruiser I can take off your hands?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes I thought about soldering some new wire on. But I'm worried there isn't enough wire remaining on the pins. Less than a centimeter. I was wondering if I could buy new wires with the pins already crimped on. Turns out that you can...from the stealer...for $50...
For something that detailed...the dealer may be the only recourse. But for something like this I'd consider OEM. Unlikely you'll find a NON-OEM exact replacement.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This happened to a friend's Tundra. Insurance paid for everything. Had it towed to the local dealer and they ended up replacing a bunch of wires. Was not an inexpensive repair.

Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you're good with soldering you can salvage it. Otherwise buy a new or used pigtail off ebay, but the color likely won't match. The injector wires go straight to the ECU, so if you wanted it to all the same color you'd have to replace the whole engine harness.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you really have OCD like you claim and you can not get the factory wires then I think we both know what needs to be done. You’re going to have to rerun all wires to all injectors so that they match. Let me know how long it takes you.
Or you can just have one mismatching set of wires. I am pretty OCD but I have what I like to call functional OCD. I wouldn’t really care if all the wires matched cosmetically. My concern would be that the repaired wires were at least as reliably installed as the factory wiring. You might need to use a little RTV if you rebed new pins into the old connector. I’d at least make sure any replacement connector has the same sort of seal on the back side of the wires. If you were to use butt splices, you should still tin the ends of the wires with solder. Of course at that point you may as well solder your connections.

I’m a big fan of silicone electrical tape. It is self fusing instead of using adhesive and really stretchy. It lets you make a really nice and water tight seal over your connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@scipper77 That's not the tape that Toyota uses in the factory is it? It's awfully expensive. My current plan exists of buying these and making my own pinned wires with the little orange seals and then soldering them to the old wires and heat shrink to cover the soldered joints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts