Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my son just got a '96 camry 4 cyl, Auto, like 2 month ago that needs motor mount. I looked at both the front and the rear and can't really tell which one is bad, they look the same to me.
Which of the two is the one more likely to go bad first?....is thare a way to pin point which one needs replacement.
Thanks...

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
yes.

Go out there with your son. One of you sits in the car, the other stands beside (important..not infront). Keep the hood up, the person in the car keeps the parking brakes applied with depressing the foot brake.

While having their foot firmly planted on the brake, that person puts the car into drive and reeves the engine.
-=--- is there excesseive movment?

Keeping your foot on the brake, stop reeving and switch to reverse. Reeve. Again, was there excessive movement there?

Lastly, is the dogbone mount bad?

If you find excessive movement on "drive" ...engine moving back too far. that's the rear

If you find excessive movement on Reverse... einging moving too far forward..Front

.... Often you feel, see, and hear a hard CLUNK!

If you haven't done any of the mounts up until now...might as well get them all done if you find it's the rear.

If it's the front...just do the front.

This is because it's a real hassel to do that rear... and often involves takin it to the shop. But that front you can do very easily yourself.

Now about that dog bone mount... You'll find that if one of the other mounts is done with...it'll be gone too.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,
I did the "dog-bone" for him already that one was damage, the rubber had broken apart. We had done the shifting proceedure too, we just did'nt know how to apply the engine movement to the specific mount. Thanks for clarifying that for use.
:)
Anthony.
his96 camry
my97 previa
her94 previa

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
You can have someone step on the gas (and Brake) while you look at the rock of the engine, you will see where it is coming from. I bought my mounts on the internet, they can even supply all the mounts in a package. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts