Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise coming from the motor compartment at 3500-4000 rpm. It sounds a lot like a loose heat shield or maybe fender? I have no clue. Dealer says they can't here it and it is a sound resonance or a certain harmonic at that rpm. Anyone else have the same or similar?
Also, I want to lower the car but I travel a lot. Will an aftermarket performance spring lower the car but not let it bottom out? It bottoms out now but not too bad. But if I lower it with a stiffer spring, will it bottom out any quicker than now?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can someone help me out here? I am having some vibration noise and need to know if this is the only car in the world with this particular problem

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I was...And he kept saying " I can't hear it" and I kept saying..."there it is...hold it steady at 3500 rpm..." He said that this motor creates harmonics at certain rpms. I don't believe it. It didn't do it when it was new. It started around 10,000 miles I'm guessing because I told my wife to have a dealership in massachusetts to look at it when she got the oil changed there. they didn't hear it either. Then we took it back to the dealer where we got it. Yes I was with him

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes and no. That sounds like detonation or low octane fuel but my sound is more like a rattle or vibration. I was thinking it was a heat shield or something like that but the dealer said he checked all that. It only does it if the rpm is held extremely steady and during decelaration in the same rpm ranges between 3500-4000. If I knew how you recorded that sound on to this website, I could record it for you but I am not too sophisticated on these computers. thanks for trying though

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, one entry sounds kind of like what i'm dealing with. The best way for me to discribe it is when you are sitting in a house and a loud jet flies over and your windows rattle. It sounds kind of like that but only around 3500 rpm and the same rpms on deceleration. I really think it's a heat shield or something like that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it was coming from under the hood, maybe lower fender bolt or something. I will check the cable tomorrow...thanks to everyone for all the hints for me to look into

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to disapoint you but I don't have a clutch cable. lol. Anyway, I looked under the hood again, held the engine at 3500 rpm and it is rattling like hell. I test drove a mazda protege 5 in late 2003 and it sounded bad. The engine was loud sounding. Now, my beloved matrix sounds as bad or worse than that POS mazda.
HELP TN HELP!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I narrowed it down to the thin aluminum heat shield under the car between the body and exhaust. I won't know for sure till I can get under there and stuff some tinfoil or steelwool in between the shield and body. It seems to be the only thing that is kind of "loose" that I found so far. I hope thats what it is because this would be a relatively simple fix. One thing that I thought it was is an oil cap I bought on ebay. The sound started after I put this on in February. It has a rubber gasket so I know it isn't vibrating but it also had (notice the past tense) 6 allen head set screws in the cap for looks. Well, Over the course of a month or so, the set screws worked thier way out. I was thinking they may have fallen in the cam cover and are rattling or vibrating around loose under there. I haven't taken the plastic cover off yet to see if they are laying under there. So...there are two things I will check on. I already looked for a loose socket or nut laying around like what you had, Mista, but haven't found anything like that yet. I will keep searching....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, and no. There isn't a toyota dealer where we are at right now. We have a pontiac dealer but they said they won't touch it. The computer plugs are different he said. I really don't know why they can't just ride in it as it isn't a "computer" problem. It will have to wait till the end of the month. I am going to keep searching until then. My wife keeps telling me to not touch it and leave it up to the dealers, but the dealers aren't getting us anywhere. And besides, if we do take it to a dealer, it will have to be there awhile, I'm sure. Something that we can't let happen right now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1337trix said:
its your clutch cable, sounds like it's comming from behind the dash? than thats your problem
don't know if it's the clutch cable as you state but it's the first time u actually said someting that made some sense.

The noise does sound like it's coming from behind the tac in the engine as you could hear it more when in the driver seat than sitting in the passenger front. the hotter the engine the worst the noise, starts to sound more like a coffe grinding noise.
b4 it used to happen when i'm off the throttle but now wither my foot is off or on the noise is there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.