Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm just curious as to what kind of motor oil everyone uses in their 22re engine. I tried doing a search, but I had trouble finding what I wanted. I've heard that the 22re engine doesn't respond good to Mobile 1 Synthetic. Is this true? Has anyone used it? What oil are you using (organic/synthetic)?

Thanks.

·
Hardrock
19 Posts
I use 10-30 NAPA (valvoline in a different color bottle). Just regular mineral oil. I also make sure to change it every 3000 miles w/ no questions asked. Plenty of people use synthetic though, w/ those you can go 5000 between changes.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
oil

I use 10W30 castrol GTX it has never given me any trouble . I replaced a friends head gasket and oil pan gasket on his 87 yota with 285,000 miles on it and the bores were not eggshaped and the main and rods were still tight . since it was new he always used 5W30 gastrol GTX . so draw your own conculsion.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
i just rebuilt my 22re and after the break in i changed to mobil 1. i changed it out again after 1000 miles and i have put 3000 miles on the 2nd oil change with synthetic. the oil is still relatively clean compared to dinosaur oil. i run mobil 1 in all my trucks and have never had a problem and i change the oil at 3 to 5 k miles. they have an extended performance oil that is gauranteed protect to 15k miles but its not reccomended.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
10W-30 Mobil Clean 5000 (petro-based), Fram oil filter.

Change both every 3K miles.

Can't draw any conclusions because the truck only has 71K miles on it, but it doesn't burn any oil yet.

FWIW.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
well i have a question. i have heard that fully synthetic oil is for newer engines. is this true? i just got a rebuild put in my truck and would be more than happy to put in castrol synthetic but im not sure if i should. has it worked well subliminaltrips?

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
mobil 1 seems to be good but wait until you break the engine in (at least 500 to 1000 miles). like i said it has 3k miles and the oil is barely even brown. im goig to change it this weekend, just because its a new engine and the first time i had run synthetic oil. as for a fram filter i would rather not change my oil than use one of those cardboard filters. read up on fram filters you will see what i mean. use a pure one micronic wix,mobil 1 or genuine toyota filter if you get a filter make sure it has an anti drain back valve.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
sweet. thanks for the help. i always use toyota filters on my truck. never really trusted fram filters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info guys. I just had a new rebuilt engine put in so after the break in period I might try synthetic and see how the engine responds.

·
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>
758 Posts
I started out using Castrol Syntech blend.. but I changed back to Castrol GTX 10-30 it seems to operate smoother with the coventional blend VS the semi-syntech

·
Registered
222 Posts
what weight for higher mileage 22RE? ive got about 140K now, and starting to notice the lifter noise a little more. anyone run like a 20W50 oil?

·
<^-~*PIMP*~-^>
758 Posts
I wouldnt run 20W50 unless you are leaking oil.. Instead. Use a nice 10W30 with some Lucas

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yea lucas is a good additive i used it in an old truck that i ran valvoline max life in.

once you use synthetic oil always use synthetic oil. if you switch back its like breaking your engine in all over again. pick something an stick with it. the main reason i use mobil 1 synthetic is because it runs cleaner for longer which means a cleaner engine. one time in a another truck i used quaker state synthetic and i noticed a black film all over the inside of the valve cover that was not there before. i stay away from that stuff. basicly the key to oil is dont let it run low on oil this is the number one cause of engine damage .next is low coolant. it doesnt really matter a whole lot what oil you use really just as long as you change it when it gets dirty and change the filter.the reson i use mobil 1 is because it is cleaner than any other oils ive used in the past. i have read up on oil and i think i may try amsoil synthetic oil but its expensive from what ive seen.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
lucas

Lucas oil products kicks butt! I have been using it a long time in my engine and the rest of my drive line and never had any problems . I work on diesels on the side and have worked on engines that have ran Lucas and have never seen any sludge like you get with other oil additves like STP When you put it in it sticks to every part and hangs on .

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
what do u know about the mobile 1 extended performance? i really wanna find a good oil that i can stick with before i change my oil.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
i use it in my sonoma and i really cant tell a difference in the regular mobil 1 . i get mine at wal mart in the 5 quart jug for 25.00 bux then get my filter from advanced auto parts. it really doesnt matter what kind of synthetic you use if you use it just as long as you stick to a stnthetic. you could try the extended performance oil and if you decide its not worth the extra 3 bux for the 5 quart jug you could go back to regular mobil 1 or even amsoil or castrol if you wanted. you shouldnt switch back to conventional dinosaur oil. my uncle says "earl is earl" i tend to use better oil because i like see how long things will last if taken care of properly. granted i may never have my truck that long but somebody else might.

·
Registered
245 Posts
consumer reports tested oil a few years ago, and they found no difference in oil used in taxi cabs in New York City. If it has a API symbol you get the same protection reguardless of brand/ synthetic or not. They tested cheap no name and 5.00 a quart synth, and no vehicle had significantly different wear.

I don know, the advertising sure is good though...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts