Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
On a Toyota forum you know we are biased, but unlike other forums, the gripes are minor compared to other brands. I know my Highlander is not at the top of the scale for new frills. But this old dude wants a solid car and not something that will give me fits down the road. Build quality is fine or as good as many. We know the new HL is evolutionary verses revolutionary. That is what we buy into. We buy into owner retention, too. Subaru, Honda and Toyota seem to have many owners who keep their cars. But that survey is not about that. It is about the fine, working today things, which they nit pick to rank a tight field. Some car will be first, another fifth and one last. Proof is always in the pudding. For me, there is a lot of Toy in my Toyota. Ruby sleeps a lot in the garage. Ruby has not gone out the wet in the last few weeks. Ruby got wet one day on accident a month or more ago then detailed and now sleeps. We all are hanging home these days. Let’s hope we all get through this, the sun shines again and we all can get back to enjoying our Toy(ota)s.
Why didn't you drive a Toyota before? I think you were mostly driving European makes before right because of the family business? They're definitely more of a 'headache' but there are many that still enjoy them despite their quirks.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
233 Posts
After decades of Mercedes, VW and Porsche, I am dead tired of working on cars!

My dad (95) started it when he bought a Prius. We thought he had lost it. Other shop owners were already Toyota or were going Toyota. My buddy said Toyota’s “are God’s gift to man kind.” An employee of ours got a new Highlander. I hemmed and hawed about them. When Subaru failed to deliver an H6 SUV, I honed in on the HL. When I got serious I investigated the model change. I inquired but kept getting different stories. Finally we just started looking and stepped up.

I am happy to let some one else service our drivers and I play with the two old German cars I steward (one now powered by Subaru and the other a 60+ year old relic.)

Like my Subaru powered Multivan, I expect these 3 new Toyota products to be equally as brainless to keep.....

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After decades of Mercedes, VW and Porsche, I am dead tired of working on cars!

My dad (95) started it when he bought a Prius. We thought he had lost it. Other shop owners were already Toyota or were going Toyota. My buddy said Toyota’s “are God’s gift to man kind.” An employee of ours got a new Highlander. I hemmed and hawed about them. When Subaru failed to deliver an H6 SUV, I honed in on the HL. When I got serious I investigated the model change. I inquired but kept getting different stories. Finally we just started looking and stepped up.

I am happy to let some one else service our drivers and I play with the two old German cars I steward (one now powered by Subaru and the other a 60+ year old relic.)

Like my Subaru powered Multivan, I expect these 3 new Toyota products to be equally as brainless to keep.....
Of course, who would want their own daily driver to become just like the cars that you work on? And I am considering a GLI or GTI potentially as a next vehicle...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get the GTI! Fly GTI! The GTI IS a fun, economical, well built buggy.

There is hardly a car, in that size and price class, that will give you more smiles per mile.

For decades, I drove built GTis. Now in my older years, bigger is better. The only car more fun was my hot rod Beatle TDI. But after 10 years it got skin cancer and new cars are not worth repainting. It died a slow cosmetic death. We painted it flat black and it became a kids toy.....but at 600 miles to a tank and all the speed you wanted including corners those little VW pocket rockets are hard to beat.

If you want a wonderful small car the GTI is it. Better is the Audi on the same chassis, but only creature things and outside looks are different.

Beware they need service and various stuff will break or wear quickly.

No car is perfect.....they are not like a Toyota.

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Get the GTI! Fly GTI! The GTI IS a fun, economical, well built buggy.

There is hardly a car, in that size and price class, that will give you more smiles per mile.

For decades, I drove built GTis. Now in my older years, bigger is better. The only car more fun was my hot rod Beatle TDI. But after 10 years it got skin cancer and new cars are not worth repainting. It died a slow cosmetic death. We painted it flat black and it became a kids toy.....but at 600 miles to a tank and all the speed you wanted including corners those little VW pocket rockets are hard to beat.

If you want a wonderful small car the GTI is it. Better is the Audi on the same chassis, but only creature things and outside looks are different.

Beware they need service and various stuff will break or wear quickly.

No car is perfect.....they are not like a Toyota.
I've always liked GTIs, going back to the MK2 one that I saw when I was a kid. Today's MK7 is pretty good. I would definitely consider leasing one for sure. Yeah it isn't Toyota perfect, but Toyota never built a Corolla that could handle that well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Read the article. Wouldn't put much value to it. Their rationales are lame and lack any kind of substance. This is the first time I have seen the Ascent and Pilot rated higher than the Palisade. Usually most critics have Palisade and Telluride one and two or vice versa. I have an Ascent. Its awful. Can't wait to get rid of it which will hopefully be soon. It sells because its cheaper, is discounted more than competitors, or low interest rate on loans. Go over to the Ascent forum and look at all the issues owners are having. And if you criticize the car the loyalists jump all over you. As for their dumb comments on the interior. Did MT know that the colored shelf on the Ascent comes in only one color? Yep look at the picture. Java brown seat w ivory colored shelf. I was looking at the Touring which only comes in Java Brown and saw how ugly the shelf looked. Instead bought the Limited w Ivory interior to match the seats. What was Subaru thinking only using one odd color shelf? Test drove the Pilot. That was first choice. Didn't like it at all. Ended up w Ascent because I purchased before Palisade, Telluride, and others were on the lots. Motor Trend obviously did not look at the issues each of these models has. Ascent is an awful car.
Consumer Reports gave the Telluride a 92 (out of 100), the Palisade an 87 (although they're basically the same vehicle, the Telluride handled better with 18" wheels vs the Palisade's 10" wheels), the Ascent an 82, and the Pilot a 75. All were 2020s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got Rice.....I trust your judgement as you have tried many cars it seems...have you ever driven a Nissan Murano ?........many reviews are excellent on that SUV...was wondering how it compares to a Highlander. I know Highlander has the better resale, but the Murano is very luxury oriented inside, and does still offer a V6, but with a CVT. They have some great deals on loaded ones as well. As far as the RAV4, I recently tried the new hybrid one, and liked it, but they have the gas tank recall, so I stayed clear. I actually like the Passport too.....if they would make the interior a bit nicer, I wouldn't mind one. Guess I got a bit off topic, but since the above was comparing, I thought I would add a few more LOL
We currently have Murano 2015. The only issue we had was a valve body change in transmission by warranty. We have 70k miles and literally bulletproof otherwise. It's V6 engine is in top 10 reliable engines ever made. It's not most powerful or anything, but coupled with CVT it can still outrun HL easily (Murano has 0-60 7.0sec). We have as of today total lifetime average of 24.2 MPG for 70k miles driven in both city/highway in all weather. Rear seat space is bigger than in HL, trunk is bigger too. The only problem is that it doesn't have ....... 3rd row. Also, Murano is probably most pleasant to drive with its cushy cabin and soft suspension.
So to sum up: 1 issue with CVT and lack of 3rd row, but other than that it beats the crap out of HL in everything else like MPG, ride, dynamics, looks, value etc.
If you check Alex on Autos review of Murano - he also states that it's a best value mid size 2 row currently on market.
We NEED 3rd row, so we are looking for upgrade. Pathfinder doesn't appeal to us with outdated looks, but upcoming 2021 Pathfinder model (coming this summer) is intriguing with complete redesign, new tech and new powertrain options. It will be very competitively priced too as usual, even beating Koreans to value.
Another option we are holding for is 2021 MDX also redesigned and also coming this summer/fall. Would be more expensive than new Pathfinder, so we'll see. New HL didn't meet our expectations and we decided to pass on it. Too cramped 3rd row, too underwhelming design and still lacking some tech options (you would think Toyota learned its lesson with Koreans, but nope).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think you know what you have to do and the Highlander is not for you.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
We currently have Murano 2015. The only issue we had was a valve body change in transmission by warranty. We have 70k miles and literally bulletproof otherwise. It's V6 engine is in top 10 reliable engines ever made. It's not most powerful or anything, but coupled with CVT it can still outrun HL easily (Murano has 0-60 7.0sec). We have as of today total lifetime average of 24.2 MPG for 70k miles driven in both city/highway in all weather. Rear seat space is bigger than in HL, trunk is bigger too. The only problem is that it doesn't have ....... 3rd row. Also, Murano is probably most pleasant to drive with its cushy cabin and soft suspension.
So to sum up: 1 issue with CVT and lack of 3rd row, but other than that it beats the crap out of HL in everything else like MPG, ride, dynamics, looks, value etc.
If you check Alex on Autos review of Murano - he also states that it's a best value mid size 2 row currently on market.
We NEED 3rd row, so we are looking for upgrade. Pathfinder doesn't appeal to us with outdated looks, but upcoming 2021 Pathfinder model (coming this summer) is intriguing with complete redesign, new tech and new powertrain options. It will be very competitively priced too as usual, even beating Koreans to value.
Another option we are holding for is 2021 MDX also redesigned and also coming this summer/fall. Would be more expensive than new Pathfinder, so we'll see. New HL didn't meet our expectations and we decided to pass on it. Too cramped 3rd row, too underwhelming design and still lacking some tech options (you would think Toyota learned its lesson with Koreans, but nope).
Thank you for info on the Murano....I do trust many of Alex on Autos reviews, but many mechanic reviews claim that the CVT in Nissan is one of the worst, however the V6 is one of the best. Another question about the Murano...you mentioned 2020 Highlander does still lack in tech options.....does your Murano have as many tech features as the new Highlander ? Just trying to compare with someone like you that has one. When I checked a loaded Murano online, it looks like it had most of the tech that the Highlander has. Also, Nissan is going through changes with ownership...some are leery about that as well, mentioning that perhaps since they have had financial struggles, parts might be cheaper made etc.and they are cutting corners when they can. I know resale isn't as good with Nissan products as Toyota, but they sure have some great deals on Muranos. They seem to be very loaded for the money. I do feel the Highlander is much more updated look on the interior...Murano being dated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for info on the Murano....I do trust many of Alex on Autos reviews, but many mechanic reviews claim that the CVT in Nissan is one of the worst, however the V6 is one of the best. Another question about the Murano...you mentioned 2020 Highlander does still lack in tech options.....does your Murano have as many tech features as the new Highlander ? Just trying to compare with someone like you that has one. When I checked a loaded Murano online, it looks like it had most of the tech that the Highlander has. Also, Nissan is going through changes with ownership...some are leery about that as well, mentioning that perhaps since they have had financial struggles, parts might be cheaper made etc.and they are cutting corners when they can. I know resale isn't as good with Nissan products as Toyota, but they sure have some great deals on Muranos. They seem to be very loaded for the money. I do feel the Highlander is much more updated look on the interior...Murano being dated.
Yes Murano currently has best bang for the buck. Beats everyone, even Koreans in value. Current Murano was updated twice. In 2017 and in 2019. Starting from 2018 (mid 2017 to be exact) it got Apple CarPlay, dynamic cruise control, pedestrian detection etc. Then it got full LED lights and some other options too. They are very comparable - with Nissan having better sound system that beats Toyota's crappy JBL hands down, and with Toyota having couple options that Nissan doesn't have. I can't remember which ones from the tip of my head.
CVT in it is butter smooth and actually doesn't feel like other brand CVTs and feels like usual 8 speed auto. It saves MPG greatly and has better acceleration. The problem with it is the valve body (older design) that was failing due to too small oil canals and valve was stuck and it was making CVT hunt for proper ratio. Ours was changed by warranty in 2017 and since then no issues. Nissan figured that issue back in 2016/17. As for engine, yes it's bulletproof and unlike Toyota 2GR-FE has no issues like clogging.
Nissan has not changed any parts to cheaper ones, that's a myth. Any such change would cost more than to continue produce cars as designed. The problem was Renault (French brand) that Nissan merged back in days. Now they are undergoing a split and it's for the better. Within next 3 years Nissan and Infiniti are coming with more than 17 brand new redesigned models and 15 of them with hybrid and EV optional powertrains. And Nissan was always ahead in tech and powertrains compared to it's competitors. Even now in all time low it's still #3 right after VW and Toyota (and in 2018 it was #2). So bad times for Nissan is still much better than the rest of brands. Everything is relative ;)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nissan CVTs use to be bad in the late 2000s and early 2010s. But with that we have never had an issue with any of them. Currently our 2017 Rogue has been fine, our 2013 Altima also was fine. I just personally don’t like them. But they have been reliable and the later ones are reliable. Much more than Honda’s CVT in the civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
13 Posts
Their "road test assessment" was B.S. They just drove it around Palos Verdes and made their decision, so of course, it's going to favor the CX-9.

They should of done a more comprehensive road test, driving from San Pedro through Palos Verdes, to the 405, 5, 14 and 395 up to Mammoth or Lake Tahoe and back. Then you get a good sample of roads, from sea level to more than a mile above sea level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not much info available yet, but apparently the 2021 Kia Sorento will have an all new platform, designed with consideration for Hybrid battery pack / technology. Sizewise it appears to be very close to Highlander. Given all the applause for the Kia Telluride, I suspect the new Sorento may be very competitive; especially considering the scarcity of midsize 3 row SUV Hybrids available. I have not seen a release date for full data nor on sale date; likely 6 months +

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
380 Posts
From what I have seen, watch and read, this will be a unit that will steal sales from HL's. It's sharp looking inside and out, and we (kind-of) know it will be less money, with more features. Only time and testing will tell. But again, it's this kind of development, that should help keep Toyota on they're toes, or at least make them see, that can't sit back and watch, or wait and see, because, well, there are a ton of folks, who aren't loyalist and just want a nice ride, with a ton of features.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
380 Posts
From what I have seen, watch and read, this will be a unit that will steal sales from HL's. It's sharp looking inside and out, and we (kind-of) know it will be less money, with more features. Only time and testing will tell. But again, it's this kind of development, that should help keep Toyota on they're toes, or at least make them see, that can't sit back and watch, or wait and see, because, well, there are a ton of folks, who aren't loyalist and just want a nice ride, with a ton of features and for those folks, this just might do it, but for me, I'm a Toyota fan, and will just have to wait to see what they do to catch up, or better yet, pass it.

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
From what I have seen, watch and read, this will be a unit that will steal sales from HL's. It's sharp looking inside and out, and we (kind-of) know it will be less money, with more features. Only time and testing will tell. But again, it's this kind of development, that should help keep Toyota on they're toes, or at least make them see, that can't sit back and watch, or wait and see, because, well, there are a ton of folks, who aren't loyalist and just want a nice ride, with a ton of features and for those folks, this just might do it, but for me, I'm a Toyota fan, and will just have to wait to see what they do to catch up, or better yet, pass it.
Good, it'll keep Toyota from resting on their laurels, because it has happened before. But then, the 4Runner/Sequoia/Land Cruiser are dated, but they still do well because there are few competitors in those niche markets, so they are able to do that. But the Highlander, has a lot of competitors.

I like Toyota, but I buy what I like, not just because Toyota makes it.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I read that with much hoopla they declare the Kia the most reliable car. Then in the middle they state it is only rated on the first 90 days of ownship! WTF? Who came up with the idea that metric has any meaning as to how reliable a car is? 90 days is teething pains not how reliable. Amazing.

After decades in the car biz, nothing beats seeing a car. But I suppose in our new social distance era you will just sit at your computer and then you car is delivered by Amazon.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good, it'll keep Toyota from resting on their laurels, because it has happened before. But then, the 4Runner/Sequoia/Land Cruiser are dated, but they still do well because there are few competitors in those niche markets, so they are able to do that. But the Highlander, has a lot of competitors.

I like Toyota, but I buy what I like, not just because Toyota makes it.
I have been thinking about this. Toyota makes all sorts of stuff. All sorts of cars. They are spread thin. They are unifying chassis. This may help them turn out better products as they can concentrate on other things more. So yes they may be able to keep up with others. Then again I see so so so much mention about superficial things that it seems it is taken for granted that the Toyota really tends to be a trouble free car to own, in general.

I bought the Toyota because it is a Toyota. I have seen lots of them be like Timexs.

I guess I am old and my priorities are not up with our times.....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts