Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer, we're traveling to Elkins, WV to visit family. For those who don't know, Elkins is a long ways from the interstates, and up in the hills, and it requires lots of back road mountain driving.

I'm not worried about getting up hill, as much as I coming DOWN hill. There are all these switch-back roads, and you *have* to slow down to 25 mph after coming straight down the side of a mountain.

Pretty treacherous.

Is the "B" setting on the shifter really going to be able to handle this? I'm already concerned about over-heating the brakes.

Rose

·
TCH Lover, Not Obsessed
2012 Camry Hybrid XL
194 Posts
brakes

From what I understand, you will not be using the "brakes" (pads, rotors). Instead, you will be using the regenerative brakes which transfer the energy of slowing the vehicle to your converter and then battery charging. I don't think brake overheating will ever be a problem...but what do I know...I'm over 60. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
well, spot on yes and no.

I am addicted B mode user.

There's really no separate brake system in the car, called regenerative brakes. Surprisingly, even dealership here believes that there is some voodoo magic device in powertrain that does this. All is happening is that one of the MGs couples with driveaxle and them inertia and MG resistance reduces speed, whilst MG works as electrical generator.

It's a bit different in B mode. In this mode, entire engine is coupled with driveaxles, without engine being turned on. It is very similar, in principle, to having manual transmission, and engaging low gear while rolling down the hill. G'ol engine braking.

1. will it handle long, steep declines? Yes. I have 1 mile long stretch on my daily commute, 8% grade. B mode will slow her from 65 to 35 towards the last 5th of that grade.
2. You are not supposed to permanently drive in B mode; not aware of any objections to using it for extended time
3. B mode recharges battery very fast
4. B mode is invaluable for taking sharp corners on wet pavements
5. I use it all the time for more aggressive cornering. Where I live, we have many serpentine up/down roads. Approach 90 degree turn with 50mph, hit B mode right before turn, hit accelerator at turn apex, exit B mode after turn - beautiful. Especially if you have a lifted ******* Dodge or Ford pickup trying to kiss your rear bumper. They do not expect such agility from a family saloon.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
From what I understand, you will not be using the "brakes" (pads, rotors). Instead, you will be using the regenerative brakes which transfer the energy of slowing the vehicle to your converter and then battery charging. I don't think brake overheating will ever be a problem...but what do I know...I'm over 60. :lol:
I agree. And, you may also be interested to know that according to one article I read, the average age of someone who buys a TCH is 63!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yikes!

Well, these mountains are some *serious* mountains and guardrails are a lovely "innovation" that hasn't hit the back hills of West Virginia yet.

I really do appreciate the info on the "B" transmission feature. Very good to know. And the 8% grade you mentioned in your post? Woo-whew, that's a serious grade!!

If you can do it, I guess *I* can do it. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

As to age, I'm a 52-year-old woman writer married to a 59-year-old lawyer. We're as staid and conservative as they come. :)

We want to keep our sweet ride looking shiny. No "ravine riding" for us!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.