Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i am new to these auto mechnics stuff. all i've done so far on cars are changing oils, filters, plugs, bulbs, and polished those yellowed out headlight covers. n that all happened within the last month after i helped my friend fixed up a 97 civic and started playing around with stuff on my 92 camry i4. anyway, i just ordered the clear bumper lights and a new air intake after reading some of the threads, and I am thinking about getting a new muffler to the stock exhaust pipe, more or less just for the heck of having fun. i am looking at all the universal muffler and they all have the inlet pipe in the end of the muffler but if i am not wrong, the exhaust pipe goes sideway into the stock muffler. so what size in length of the muffler do i need for a max fit or do I have to weld an elbow to get the exhaust pipe into the inlet? n i haven't been able to find this else where but what is the exhaust pipe of a stock 92 5sfe, 2 1/4" or 2 1/2"?

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
archangel571 said:
so what size in length of the muffler do i need for a max fit or do I have to weld an elbow to get the exhaust pipe into the inlet?
Measure the size of the stock muffler and get something close to it.

About the inlet and outlet. I believe you want a muffler with a offset inlet and centered outlet. But it doesn't really matter.

i haven't been able to find this else where but what is the exhaust pipe of a stock 92 5sfe, 2 1/4" or 2 1/2"?
I say its about 2". Its definitely smaller then 2 1/4" because most ppl upgrade to 2 1/4" pipe when doing custom catbacks on a 5S-FE.

From the Camry FAQ:

2.1. What is the stock exhaust piping size?

Question: What is the stock exhaust piping diameter?

Answer:

Gen3:
4-cylinder engines (5SFE) = 2" diameter

6-cylinder engines (1MZFE) = 2.25" diameter

http://www.toyotanation.com/faq/all_html2.php?prog=1&lang=en

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
awesome, thanx u guys. but replacing the whole pipin' to 2.5' wouldn't that mean i need a new header n everything entirely? where can i get that? or they have to be customized?

to calvin327, love the clean color scheme. where did you find those rims? i see them everywhere on those touring camry pics.

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
be aware that itll prolly cost as much to put on a muff on at a shop as it is to get all new piping

·
Registered
431 Posts
Got my rims on Ebay. Like big_p31 said, depends on what your planning to do to your car. If you are planning to get headers or turbo, just wait. If you just want a muffler then get it welded on including the custom piping which will round you about 120 bucks for the install and new piping to catalyic convertor.

Calvin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts