Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have about 500 on my 4 cyl 2012 Camry SE. All city/suburban driving, no highway miles yet.
Using a very light foot and coasting to red lights, so far 27.6 mpg. How much more can I expect to gain after break in? Friend of mine doing the same type of driving but with a heavy foot is getting 24.2.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,958 Posts
I would say your MPG will go up after break in but just a little bit.
So far my best trip 45 MPG (hwy, 55 MPH) I achieved with 700 miles on the clock and my average was around 26-27.
Now with 7K on the clock, my tank average stays around 27-29.
Your MPG depends on many variable factors and someone else’s MPG always gonna be different.
Keep your tire pressure checked, or bit higher, do not accelerate hard, keep your RPM as low as possible when coasting and you’ll get best possible MPG for your driving style and conditions.

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
My i4 SE didn't start to improve mileage-wise until ~2K miles... I'm hovering around 28 mixed (right above the EPA number) and have yet to really log any serious highway miles. That will change this summer...

·
Registered
12 Camry, 19 SantaFe
203 Posts
XLE 4cyl in Minnesota

FYI there is a existing post titled 2012 Gen 7 Camry MPG all trims welcome!
which I just added updates to, for some reason it'd been inactive for almost a month. Nothing noticable for me changed in MPGs from the first 1000 or now 2000 miles. I reliably get the 35 MPG EPA rating at 70mph and can do better but if it's windy or most likely using the AC (not done that much) it'll drop. 29 MPG around town is routine for me which is suburban/city meaning I have two 1 mile drives small hills at 30-45mph between stops, then the usual 30mph + stoplight every few blocks for a couple miles.

With so many variables like winter vs summer gas it would be hard to know what was affecting the car in breakin plus our crazy weather - I think the average March temps were warmer than April in the upper midwest. All I know is I get almost 2X the MPGs compared to my 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I plan to keep for boat towing and bad weather times. And gas just took a 10 cent drop this week, let's hope that continues!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Have about 500 on my 4 cyl 2012 Camry SE. All city/suburban driving, no highway miles yet.
Using a very light foot and coasting to red lights, so far 27.6 mpg. How much more can I expect to gain after break in? Friend of mine doing the same type of driving but with a heavy foot is getting 24.2.
Are your mpgs based on the car computer or "calculated mpg = miles driven/gallons filled"? Beware the the computer reports 1 to 2 mpg higher than actual calculated.

If you're really getting 27.6 mpg in all city driving that's great!

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,441 Posts
I drove my new XLE hybrid today just like I did the '07 TCH over 4 years. The 33 mile loop to town and back including some city traffic got me 50.2 mpg reading from the mid.

I know it reads 2 mpg high but no big deal. I like the accuracy of the fuel pump measuring out each gallon and computing the mpg vs the miles driven. You can't get a more accurate way of telling you your driving habits with the camry.

Using the calculated method, you never know when the station will up their gas pressure at the nozzle when you fill-up. Then even if you find a level driveway, then you need gas at that pump, and they are two cars in line in front of you.

I do use the same near level pump at around 8or 9 at night to fill when the station is not busy. I fill up using the low speed setting till the auto-nozzle shuts off. I put on the gas cap and that's it. This leaves room for the tank venting to take place. I depend on the mfd readout for all my mpg readings. If you want a near calculated reading, simply subtract 1 1/2 off you total mid reading.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,441 Posts
I remember my '07 TCH was stubborn to get broke-in. It broke in a little (1 mpg gain) around 385 miles. Then picked up 1 mpg more at 450 miles. 1200 miles a little better mpg including more acceleration.

Anyway, I switched to full-synthetic oil at 3500 miles which may be why it took so long to break the '07 in. It was around 8200 miles that the TCH finally jumped 2 1/2 mpg and would coast so much farther.

The '07 was getting around 50 each tank and with effort I managed many 55 mpg tanks. My overall 47 tanks with the '07 TCH was 52 mpg. My highest was 62 mpg on days of no wind, 80 deg temps and no AC mostly 4-lane highway driving at 45 speed with almost no traffic up in the day. I was testing out some new michelin Saver tires made for improving the mpg. I find they got a little noisy after 20K miles.

My new XLE hybrid came with Bridgestones and will replace them this weekend with new michelin Primacy MXV4-P3V tires. I think the Primacy's are known to be rather quiet even after they got lots of miles on them.

I'm sure impressed with this new XLE hybrid. Much nicer than when I first was looking and test driving it at the Toyota dealer.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,958 Posts
Are your mpgs based on the car computer or "calculated mpg = miles driven/gallons filled"? Beware the the computer reports 1 to 2 mpg higher than actual calculated.

I checked trip comp results many times and to my surprise they are very very accurate. Difference with “real world” 0.1-0.3 MPG.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I checked trip comp results many times and to my surprise they are very very accurate. Difference with “real world” 0.1-0.3 MPG.
Mine trip computer seems to report hi by 1-2 mpg. Also seen other people reporting similar.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
....I know it reads 2 mpg high but no big deal. ....
I agree, it's no big deal as long as you know it's off.

So, anyone who's never measured it should so they know how far off the trip computer is and don't brag about getting 27 mpg when they're really getting 25 mpg.

In your case, with your energy creating hybrid, 2/45 is no big deal, but if its 2/30 for a non-hybrid, that's a bigger deal :lol:.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,441 Posts
XLE hybrid mpg update. I drove a 185 mile round trip to El Paso today to have a set of michelin primacy mxv4 tires put on my car. Amazing with about 93 miles on the clock when I drove off today in the new car.

The scan gauge I installed read 52 mpg once we had drove 7 or 8 miles in the city traffic. On the trip back home is somewhat uphill, but I still gained 1.1 mpg which now read 52.1 per the mid readout. (multi-information-display) says the manual.

I calibrated the scan gauge days ago where 60 mph equals 60 seconds same as each mile-post. I set the scan gauge for the 17 gallon tank and the 2.5 liter engine. The scan gauge read 54 mpg for the total trip today.

This is a couple miles per gallon better than my '07 TCH was getting highway at 38000 miles.

Now i'm looking forward to how much additional gas mileage the car will get once partially or fully broke in. I did vary the speeds a lot today, 45 mph for 30 miles then upped it to 50. I drove 60 on the el paso loop to stay with the traffic which was 20 miles lone. Coming home it was 60 on the heavily traveled Interstate-10, then the freeway north to exit the city. I dropped to 55 for a long ways then 50 for half hour, and 45 the last 15 miles, always using the cruise.

I did notice a whine and road noise with the cars new oem bridgestones. The new michelin tires had no whine at all and only a almost no detectible road noise. These particular primacy mxv4 tires area designated 93V, are made for toyota per michelin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Based on car computer. I'll do a test on gallons filled in May.

I'm getting 28.4 now. It is a real challenge to keep it up this high, I do a lot of coasting and using just the right pressure can get 40 mpg on the readout on level surfaces. Any incline though and it drops to 5-20 pretty fast.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,364 Posts
Mileage on most vehicles does increase slightly after a few thousand miles. The increase is not much these days... since engines and components are machined to such close standards. They are virtually broken in when you buy em.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,441 Posts
Mileage on most vehicles does increase slightly after a few thousand miles. The increase is not much these days... since engines and components are machined to such close standards. They are virtually broken in when you buy em.
Your probably right other than I do know toyota in the last many years are now using low friction rings in their engines to increase power and up the gas mileage. My thinking is these rings my have slightly improved in the recent years.

Other improvements in the hybrid engine is the '12 models are now using roller lifters on the dual cams to reduce friction. The hybrid also this year has a electric water pump. No more belts to mess with which removes some the drag on the engine.

I have read somewhere the new engine may also have a electric oil pump. This would bring up oil pressure even before the engine is started. Sorry, I have no confirmation about the oil pump yet. Also I don't know if some the features of the hybrid engine is same on the gas only version. I would think so if the horsepower has increased over the 2011 models.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On mine it has changed very little since it had several hundred miles. The same highway trips are yielding the same mpg. I'm at about 6K miles now. On mine the 40 MPG point is somewhere between a steady 65 and 70 MPH on flat roads with no wind. Suburban "city" mileage is somewhere around 26 mpg, but this is highly variable due to local conditions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think everyone should do themselves a favor and calculate your fuel cost for the whole year at whatever mileage you are getting, then do it again like you are getting 5-10 mpg more. I think you will be amazed just how little difference it makes. In my case I drive about 35,000-40,000 miles a year. A 10mpg difference only makes about $900 bucks difference. I'll gladly get 25mpg so I don't have to drive a Yaris or some other crapbox. That being said, my SE was getting about 25mpg until I hit the 1500 mile mark. Then it went up to 29-30 mpg. That is better than I expected on the mountainous roads in WV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.