Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So the past few months i've been trying to figure out what to do to fix my mpg.

Things I've done
  • Tried different oil brands
  • used fuel injection cleaner
  • serviced transmission & new gasket aswell as filter
  • Tested different gas stations gasoline
  • Put in new battery

What else could it be? I'm avging about 31mpg at the moment. It was 33.5 now it just keeps getting lower. This all started back in January.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. winter definitely kills mpg
2. how many miles? What maintenance was done so far? Manual or automatic? Sounds like a basic tune up is due.
I forgot to add i also did spark plugs too about 3k miles ago. Pretty much maintenance was

Transmission is automatic

• Spark plugs
  • Battery
Coolant flush
Transmission service
new battery
new air filter
oil filter changed every 6k with oil
also cabin filter changed

·
5,896 Posts
OK, so you are mostly caught up on primary items.
EGR valve needs to be cleaned.
Entire fuel system needs to be cleaned with proper magic. My choice is Seafom.
Compression needs to be checked.
TIRES PRESSURE needs to be checked.
All useless weight needs to be removed from the car. Only essentials left.
Occupants need to lose weight, the more the better. ;)

Otherwise:

How do I improve my mileage?

• Factors not related to the way the driver operates the vehicle.
    Your mileage will increase..
    • ...after your first oil change.
    • ...if you drive on flat roads
    • ...when the air conditioner or heater is set to off
    • ...if you increase tire pressure. The trade off is a noisier and possible more uncomfortable drive. Always stay within the posted recommended pressure range set by the manufacturer. See this survey to see how other drivers set their pressure.
    • ...if you use top tier gas
    • ...if you switch to Low Rolling Resistance tires
  • Factors related to the way the driver operates the vehicle.
    • Combine trips and make your lengthiest trip the first leg of your trip. This will give the car a chance to warm up.
    • Don't store heavy items in the trunk or travel with passengers. Three extra adults in the car could add between 400 and 600 pounds.
    • Don't warm up the car before driving. Power it on put it in gear and go. This is not practical if you live in a cold climate.
    • Try and drive at a constant speed. Frequent stops and starts hurt mileage.
    • Pulse and Glide Accelerate to a nice speed, say 65 MPH and then let the car glide down to 55 MPH (traffic permitting) and then start the process up again
    • Anticipate traffic light changes and glide up to the light, rather than using the gas and braking
    • Use cruise control when on flat roads.
    • Avoid jack rabbit starts
    • Avoid bumper to bumper traffic, if possible

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't mention it so I'm assuming no CEL codes. Also consider MAF sensor cleaning.
What plugs did you put in, these engines are picky about spark plugs.
Are you figuring mpg manually or using the instrument panel read out?
dont know what plugs but i had factory plugs till 155k haha had my mechanic change them after my stepmom gave me the car. Last winter the car was getting 35mpg then it went down hill from there.
OK, so you are mostly caught up on primary items.
EGR valve needs to be cleaned.
Entire fuel system needs to be cleaned with proper magic. My choice is Seafom.
Compression needs to be checked.
TIRES PRESSURE needs to be checked.
All useless weight needs to be removed from the car. Only essentials left.
Occupants need to lose weight, the more the better. ;)

Otherwise:

How do I improve my mileage?

• Factors not related to the way the driver operates the vehicle.
    Your mileage will increase..
    • ...after your first oil change.
    • ...if you drive on flat roads
    • ...when the air conditioner or heater is set to off
    • ...if you increase tire pressure. The trade off is a noisier and possible more uncomfortable drive. Always stay within the posted recommended pressure range set by the manufacturer. See this survey to see how other drivers set their pressure.
    • ...if you use top tier gas
    • ...if you switch to Low Rolling Resistance tires
  • Factors related to the way the driver operates the vehicle.
    • Combine trips and make your lengthiest trip the first leg of your trip. This will give the car a chance to warm up.
    • Don't store heavy items in the trunk or travel with passengers. Three extra adults in the car could add between 400 and 600 pounds.
    • Don't warm up the car before driving. Power it on put it in gear and go. This is not practical if you live in a cold climate.
    • Try and drive at a constant speed. Frequent stops and starts hurt mileage.
    • Pulse and Glide Accelerate to a nice speed, say 65 MPH and then let the car glide down to 55 MPH (traffic permitting) and then start the process up again
    • Anticipate traffic light changes and glide up to the light, rather than using the gas and braking
    • Use cruise control when on flat roads.
    • Avoid jack rabbit starts
    • Avoid bumper to bumper traffic, if possible
I've been driving the same way as I was since i first got the car. 70-75mph on the highway 90% of the time. It went from 35mpg to 31 or 32 just keeps getting lower and lower

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cars get worse MPG as they get older, it doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong. Just wear and tear on the pistons and cylinders can cause it to be less efficient.

If your car has 155K miles and still gets 31 MPG on the highway, I wouldn't worry about it too much - unless it continues to go down consistently.

I do kinda wonder about the spark plugs though. If your mechanic used cheap plugs that could be it. Or if they're gapped wrong.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,237 Posts
Hi guys,

So the past few months i've been trying to figure out what to do to fix my mpg.

Things I've done
  • Tried different oil brands
  • used fuel injection cleaner
  • serviced transmission & new gasket aswell as filter
  • Tested different gas stations gasoline
  • Put in new battery
What else could it be? I'm avging about 31mpg at the moment. It was 33.5 now it just keeps getting lower. This all started back in January.
My guess would be that winter gas affected it back in January. Also as winter temps get cooler tires pressure will decrease. Make sure to check your tires monthly. There are so many factors that can affect MPG that it's hard to narrow down sometimes. Also small changes in driving habits can affect it and you might not even know you are doing something differently.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,237 Posts
dont know what plugs but i had factory plugs till 155k haha had my mechanic change them after my stepmom gave me the car. Last winter the car was getting 35mpg then it went down hill from there.

I've been driving the same way as I was since i first got the car. 70-75mph on the highway 90% of the time. It went from 35mpg to 31 or 32 just keeps getting lower and lower
Make sure the plugs are Denso or NGK iridum. If not that could be a huge factor. Also driving at 70-75 will get lower mpg then 60-65. If you are averaging 30+ mpg a tank I wouldn't worry too much. Just check all of the things we've all been mentioning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you can find somebody with one of those fancy OBDII scan tools, check the Lambda reading (air/fuel ratio). You want that number to be at 1.00, or real close to it. 1.01 is fine, 0.99 is fine, 1.02, 0.98, etc. I would say if it's more than about 1.05 or less than .95, then you might have a problem that's worth trying to track down. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, just chalk it up to high mileage wear and tear on the pistons and cylinder walls.

I am not at all trying to be dismissive of your "problem" but the fact is you've got a car with 155K miles that's still getting 31 mpg and that's pretty damn impressive.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you are taking your MPG from the instrument cluster, that reading is cumulative. It is the average since it was last reset (probably when you changed battery), it is not your current average. Re-set it and give it a couple tanks and see what the results are.
I suggest this before getting to involved time or money wise.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Like stvotw said, you started with the mileage your stepmom accumulated over quite a long time. Once you change the driving pattern, the mileage will slowly start to reflect that. Then when you disconnect the battery, the mileage on the cluster changes multiple times daily because it's averaging fewer total miles than before. Also, I have noticed that idling kills mileage, don't know if you do much of that or not...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
Mgeorge
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing