Toyota Nation Forum banner

MR-2 3S-GTE Engine Size?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  MitchB 
#1 ·
Hi, I was wondering, how big is the engine in the turbo MR-2 (3S-GTE) with the tranny and everything. How does the powertrain link up to the rear axel, and how far from the seats does the engine sit?

Thanks.

#9 · (Edited)
The Argument comes into play when you put it on scales. its why only a fool trys to drift an MR2.

You see the Shelby Cobra is considerd a Mid Engine car, given the fact that the mottor is so far back from the front axel, and the driver is practicly imbetween the Rear Axels.

this same concept can be aplyed to the MR2 in the sence that the mottor's placment inrelashon to the Rear axel is such that the rearend deals with a vastmajority of the Drive train's wheght. while in a TRUE. Mid engine car, the disterbushon is close to 50/50.

you see Boxters and cars like 360 Modana's, have there mottors ahead of the Trany, while in a 911, the mottors are behind the trany. in an MR2 the Mottor is above the Trany. infact the block counter balance's the transaxle.

#11 ·
To answer your question MRQ, and please don't laugh, I'm putting a toyota turbo engine in my mini (1988 Austin Mini 1000). I just want to know if it's possible to actually put in the MR2 3S-GTE in the back, with as little cabin noise as possible.

The way I see it being possible, is to remove the back seat, and make a compartment for the engine to go in that's sectioned off from the interior. Then convert the rear boot into a hatch, so the engine could be accessed, and still have the whole thing look hidden.

Why I'm debating this is because I know it would be a hell of a lot easier to do a 4E-FTE FF swap, but I mean come on.

135 HP FF, or 225+ HP MR?

#14 ·
Zrain said:
The Argument comes into play when you put it on scales. its why only a fool trys to drift an MR2.
Uhm ....
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/drift.htm

Zrain said:
You see the Shelby Cobra is considerd a Mid Engine car, given the fact that the mottor is so far back from the front axel, and the driver is practicly imbetween the Rear Axels.
True.
Zrain said:
....Rear axel is such that the rearend deals with a vastmajority of the Drive train's wheght. while in a TRUE. Mid engine car, the disterbushon is close to 50/50....
False.

Mid-engine: Engine is between the axles
Rear-engine: The engine is behind the rear axle.

Zrain said:
in an MR2 the Mottor is above the Trany. infact the block counter balance's the transaxle.
The MR2s engine is in no way shape or form ABOVE the tranny. It is directly next to it.

#15 ·
ishcoleobo said:
Doesn't mid-engine = Engine between the driver and the rear axle
Nope.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=midengine

Trefmawr said:
To answer your question MRQ, and please don't laugh, I'm putting a toyota turbo engine in my mini (1988 Austin Mini 1000).
I would love to see this, but I think the Mini will be too narrow for such a project. You may be better off finding an engine/tranny that are in line front-to-back rather than side-to-side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.