Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the process of changing the alternator on my 1990 non turbo mr2. the alternator is no longer attatched but i cant see an easy way of getting the now loose lump of metal out of the engine bay. does any1 have any suggestions, or has any1 recently changed theres??? please can u let me kow asap cos my beloved car is off the road at the mo. cheers.

·
Autox addicted
91 MR2
443 Posts
U can take the alternator from the top of the engine bay.[
all u have to do is remove what i circled in blue, and then u can wiggle the alternator out from there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You have to take out the mounting bracket in order to get the alternator out through the top.

·
Autox addicted
91 MR2
443 Posts
I never had to take out the bracket. and i have done this about 4 times now on my 91na in the past 3 years. For some reason, alternators don't like to last.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had to when I did it. Wonder what you do differently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Alternator Removal

Howdy,I just removed the alternator from my 91 N/A not too long ago and the most pain free method is to remove it from the top.You have to remove the alternator bracket(i think it was 5 bolts on it) then pull the bracket out of the car.The alternator ,with a little wiggle here and there, will come out rather easily.You then do the put it all together in reverse order,i put the bracket on first then the alternator.The whole thing took about 45 minutes plus or minus for the curses i used for a stuck alternator bracket bolt.I had originally tried to remove it from the bottom and that seemed dang near impossible so i asked on TN and was set on the right path,good luck.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an MR2 1991 non turbo and with 340K miles the alternator went out. How do I get to it from the top of the engine? Does anyone have details as to how to get to it and what bolts to take out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an MR2 1991 non turbo and with 340K miles the alternator went out. How do I get to it from the top of the engine? Does anyone have details as to how to get to it and what bolts to take out.
i just removed mine not too long ago. mine was a turbo however. take and post a pic of the engine bay and im sure someone here can walk you through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts